Group discounts

Jim Avery

Just received an email from SeaDream for discounts for "sailing with family and friends". Buy 5 staterooms and the fifth is free or buy 2 to 4 staterooms and all get 15% off. Cruise Critic members could group cabins and save some money sounds like. Any thoughts?

Jim.

1) a division or the process of dividing into two especially mutually exclusive or contradictory groups or entities...

As in: we tell our sales reps to discourage children

AND

if you bring children, we not only give them 15% off but you also get the same discount.

So, SeaDream, which is it?

• 2 weeks later...

I think It's my Dime is reading something into the promotion that isn't there.

At any rate, in addition to the group discount, I noticed that SD is now showing a GTY rate for several cruises, including the 8 Jan 06 RT from Barbados. Didn't have that when I booked in Feb, so called yesterday. They gave me the GTY rate (a total $600 savings!) immediately -- nice surprise. And, at this time -- no kids, no groups on that cruise. Cool.

They've also changed their insurance to 7.5% of cruise price (minimum $199/person) and eliminated the "No Stress, No Strings" option.

Vandrefalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi FT:

Good to hear from you and hope to sail together again, schedules permitting. Thats our problem for the rest of the year, all booked up with a business trip to San Juan in October and My Moms 80th in December. Also have to get in Arizona sometime. Work gets in the way of much fun but the Florida Lottery cant avoid my numbers forever! Anyway, we are into 2006 for next cruise. Beginning to get severe caviar withdrawl. Also, have not had a good cheese tray since March. Oh, and yes, the new hurricane is also coming our way. I would retire to the middle of Kansas except they have all those pesky tornadoes.

All the best,

Jim & Lois.

Sending good thoughts your way Jim. I have a dear friend who lives in Melbourne and another in Orlando so I aways keep an eye on those Florida-bound storms.

Vandrefalk ... what type of cabin did you have before the GTY rate came out? Our cruise (Nov. 6) has a great GTY rate but I don't know if I am rolling the dice in terms of cabins if I change at this point ... We are in a regular, non-connecting Deck 2 cabin.

Jim and FT ... a holiday cruise could work for us ... although we would have to bring a 13-year-old:eek: :p :eek:

I've been looking at SeaDream and checking this board to decide if this is a line we would like. I can't find a definition for a GTY rate on Sea Dream's website. I know one of you can explain it for me!

Linda

Hi Linda!

The guarantee rate (GTY) means that you basically have a room cabin on board but you can't pick which cabin.

SD will assign the cabin as they need to fill decks as the date arrives. For instance you could end up on deck 2 if there is room on 2 but you could end up on 3 if SD can sell at regular rate the cabins on deck 2.

Hope that helps!

We have been booked since February for the 1/2/06 cruise on SeaDream I. We booked a midship cabin on deck 2. A couple of months ago, when there was a small price decrease, we considered switching to the guarantee rate but decided not to give up our reserved cabin. But a couple of weeks ago the fare went down so substantially that I couldn't pass it up. I studied the deck plans, and SeaDream really doesn't have cabins that are very far fore and aft. So if seasickness is the only consideration here, how bad can a random cabin assignment be? I hope my judgment doesn't turn out to be wrong, because it is my DH, not I, who will be sick.

Jim --

Philip and I are thinking of you and Lois and wish for the best. The new turn for Katrina doesn't look good, but if you ever want to withdraw to Greensboro --our guest room is waiting. New path of Katrina has it arriving as a depression here Tuesday a.m.

DisneyJen -

the only bad thing about the Christmas holiday cruises this year is the Guilford County Schools System -- unless I'm reading the schedule wrong the kids don't get out until Dec. 21 and have to be back on Jan. 2. Tough to book with a SD itinerary right now. Our junior in high school is supposed to have finals before Christmas this year so if he doesn't have a final on Dec. 20 or 21, the cruise schedule works for us. Since you are already going in November -- any interest in this December? Or an Easter cruise? :D

Zimmy-

We've been on the 2nd and 3rd decks -- didn't notice a lot of difference at all and had a rough night on each cruises. 2nd was actually quieter. My husband gets seasick looking at the water and swears by the patch -- no shots or pills were necessary. Have fun :)

FT

FT - DD goes to private school in High Point ... I just looked at our calendar and she doesn't go back until the 4th. I definitely would have to do some major singing and dancing for DH to go THIS Christmas ... although Easter is another story. Last year we rented a house on the beach in Duck, NC so there is precedent for a vacation then:D

I am running off to the pool as it looks like it is going to get wet and stormy here :mad:

We were on deck 3 last November and we are booked on deck 2 this November. Other than the portholes versus picture window I suspect there isn't any difference.

Disney Jen --

Last November we did a Deck 2 GTY rate -- and ended up on Deck 3! This year, I had booked Cabin 209 -- when the GTY rate came out, they changed us immediately. So, I guess I could still end up with 209 -- or a different cabin on Deck 2 -- or maybe even a higher deck! Since all the cabins are the same (with the exception of portholes on Deck 2 vice picture windows), I don't see how any of them would be bad. Too bad there's no chance we'd get the owner's suite :D

I also think the 8 Jan 06 cruise isn't very full yet. Have to make final payment soon. . . .

Vandrefalk

Archived