Cabin upgrades for first time cruisers

gln323

icon1.gifCabin upgrades for first time cruisers

My TA said I may request an upgrade although he cannot do this for me. I was wondering what the process may be. I've spoken to a very helpful agent from Celebrity. She couldn't request this for me, but was quite helpful changing my seating from late to early, since I'm traveling with 2 children, both quite excited to wear their new Tux's. Does this mean standing in line with 100 or more cruisers asking the same question or is there a lesser known proceedure someone out there knows of.

My TA said I may request an upgrade although he cannot do this for me. I was wondering what the process may be. I've spoken to a very helpful agent from Celebrity. She couldn't request this for me, but was quite helpful changing my seating from late to early, since I'm traveling with 2 children, both quite excited to wear their new Tux's. Does this mean standing in line with 100 or more cruisers asking the same question or is there a lesser known proceedure someone out there knows of.

Not sure why you think you should be entitled to an upgrade? If your TA "cannot" do it for you, it is likely because there is no justification for the request; hence the same response from Celebrity.

Cruise lines like to upgrade their most elite members. And GTY cabins will sometimes result in an upgrade. But just to "request" an upgrade? I really do not understand your question.

Best way I've ever found to upgrade a stateroom is to go to the web site, see what is available, check the price, call my travel agent, tell her the number of the upgraded stateroom I want and give her my credit card number.

It works every time!

Whenever I fly, especially for long flights, I sit by the gate clutching my boarding pass for seat 783Z and fantasize that they will call MY name and tell me I have been upgraded to First Class. For absolutely no reason. But then I look around at all the others clutching their coach boarding passes and imagine they are wishing for the same thing.

If you are talking about a free upgrade they almost never happen on Celebrity. If you're talking about paying for an upgrade I would get to the port early and head straight to guest relations when I get onboard and ask about one. I've seen posts where some ports have some type of co-ordinator before you check in whom you can ask about an upgrade, but I've never seen this person so I don't have any info on that.

Terri

I neither feel neither entitled or justified to ask for this. It came as a result of a solicitation from my TA and was a suggestion by both the TA and the X agent with whom I've been speaking to to resolve some very minor points of the cruise, i.e. seating and special needs for my son. I was told this is a gesture made to first time cruisers and in no way feel privileged, but being offered a privilege to cruise X. I thank all of you for your input and find this cruise would not be the same w/o the threads of past Horizon and X folks and all the insight I've gleened. Sincerely.

I neither feel neither entitled or justified to ask for this. It came as a result of a solicitation from my TA and was a suggestion by both the TA and the X agent with whom I've been speaking to to resolve some very minor points of the cruise, i.e. seating and special needs for my son. I was told this is a gesture made to first time cruisers and in no way feel privileged, but being offered a privilege to cruise X. I thank all of you for your input and find this cruise would not be the same w/o the threads of past Horizon and X folks and all the insight I've gleened. Sincerely.

I am more confused now. If this is a TA/X solicitation/suggestion, they would be taking care of it for you. I have never seen first time cruisers upgraded for no apparent reason.

Whenever I fly, especially for long flights, I sit by the gate clutching my boarding pass for seat 783Z and fantasize that they will call MY name and tell me I have been upgraded to First Class. For absolutely no reason. But then I look around at all the others clutching their coach boarding passes and imagine they are wishing for the same thing.

I know that feeling. When they do call people for the upgrades, though, they are high-mileage flyers who have put in a request for an upgrade or who have been identified by the computer system as being upgrade candidates due to their high-mileage status (the method depends on the airline policy). People often pay for their upgrade with earned mileage credits or sometimes even extra cash. For instance, US Air will upgrade people at the gate on a space-available basis for domestic flights for between $65 and $100, depending on the length of the leg. I don't know what their policy is for international flights, though.

How does the Captain's Club upgrade system work for Celebrity repeat passengers? I've not sailed in a category that qualifies for an upgrade yet...I guess it all happens automatically when you book?

Thanks for the direct advice, although a bit demeaning . It was a solicitation and you were right. I did call my TA back, who then spoke to X, they did review all the notations of all the conversations, and my request has been addressed. This was the best travel advice I have ever recieved.

I'm sorry you thought the advice was demeaning, it wasn't intended that way. Many cruise lines do upgrade for no apparent reason...the very seasoned Celebrity cruisers on this board were merely pointing out that it is USUALLY not Celebrity's policy, but of course it can happen.

The very best advice would be to book a cabin that you really want...since everyone looks for different things, sometimes an upgrade is not a good thing (you may be moved to a supposedly higher "better" deck but be put under something noisy in the process).

I've never known first time cruisers to be upgraded just because they're first timers or because they required an adjustment for some minor points (that part I don't understand). Celebrity is very stingy when it comes to upgrades--- even for their most elite passengers---actually, we're elite members and when we asked for an upgrade on a recent cruise, we were told "sure, if you pay for it". I guess I'm also confused by what you've written. Did you initiate the request for an upgrade and did your TA then call Celebrity asking for this upgrade or did Celebrity just up and offer you an upgrade? From your very first post, it sounds like you initiated the request for an upgrade to your TA. Are you looking for a free upgrade? That rarely happens on Celebrity, especially for first time passengers. Cruise lines like to reward their frequent cruisers, and don't usually give anything away to first timers.

Celebrity does do something called an upsell. That's where you go to the port coordinator's desk upon embarking and pay for a higher category room---you are asked to pay the difference between what you paid and the price of the new cabin. But don't count on getting a great deal for this upsell. They will usually charge you the full price difference. Don't count on any upsells either, as the Celebrity ships are sailing at capacity and don't usually have open cabins, and if they do have them, they are usually inside cabins on the lowest decks.

I was solicited for this. It was not a result, or apology, for any other conversations about my seating or son. It was suggested by my excellent TA, that I make this request. Initially, when I called X, I was told my TA must take the initiative. I had no idea how many people book a trip then take a left handed approach to get something more then they have paid for. I was told people hover around the persers desk, guest services as I've been educated to, and ferret out these upgrades. My cabin is center ship, high deck and have no reason to beg, since my 2 sons will be pulling me in every direction other then our room. I'm sorry if you long time cruisers have already concluded X is a mutual benefit to you and X for your travels, but there are many of us that don't know this and a certain incentive is highly appreciated and very instumental in making vacation choices with so many lines competing for our vacation time and dollars. Every person I've spoken to especially a man named Al at X have been courtious and helpful. This has already been a great start to a much anticipated trip for my family. I used to work with a gentleman that would get so upset when he saw an incentive, for new users of a service or product, he had been a user of for a long time. He would be very vocal about the NY Times or some supplier of services when they extend an incentive exclusivley to new users and not the people that made the product a success. I was always confused about how I felt about his position. It's not rocket science to see both sides of this matter. It's a quandry. I again thank all of you for your input and regret stirring a hornet's nest.

I do not think you have stirred up a hornet's nest. I do, however, think that it would be bad business on the part of Celebrity to upgrade a first timer without first making certain that their Captain's Club member were taken care of first and foremost.

Celebrity ships sell very well. While I am certain attracting new guests is important, repeat passenger loyalty is critical to long term success.

Celebrity is stingy with upgrades. IMO they should go to those who show loyalty to the line.

It is true there are two sides to this issue from a company's standpoint...I see it so often with magazine subscriptions (you used the newspaper example) "Fabulous deal for new subscribers only". Maybe what a cruise line should do is ask if you "want an upgrade if possible" (I know Princess does this), and then put those names into the computer for a random drawing if they have any free cabins close to sail date. Many of us who book the cabins we want (and would be VERY upset if they were changed) would not want to be included in this lottery. That would give people who would like an upgrade an equal chance. Of course it will never happen since that is a lot of work, but I haven't been on an X sailing yet that has not been completely full, so I'm sure it's a moot point anyway.

Seems like a lot has been hinted at here but little information has been actually stated. What kind of "upgrade" was offered? What sort of cabin was originally booked? When does the cruise take place? Perhaps X feels that certain remaining "better" cabins can't be sold while "lower" value cabins in short supply are in demand. Upgrades are then made to create saleable inventory. Perhaps the rest of us can learn something from you, gln323.

gln323, We have a 9 year old daughter with special needs who we are adopting. I realize first hand that any assistance you can get from anyone, including a cruise line, is a big bonus. It sounds as if Celebrity is off to a great start with you and your family. Happy cruising!

Archived