Anchorage

Homer

Kodiak

Hubbard Glacier

Sitka (tender)

At Sea!

Victoria, BC

Seattle, WA

The only port our cruise offers dog sledding is in Juneau. It would be more than $600 for our family of 5 to go with the cruise. Are there any other options for us besides booking with the cruiseline? I really want to do this, but my husband doesn't think seeing dogs for 2 hours (actually less) is worth $600.

huskyguy - unfortunately this itinerary doesn't go to Skagway.

Mary - I agree that visiting Martin Buser's kennel is a wonderful excursion for your long port time in Anchorage with a rental care. I've done it twice before, and would not hestitate to do it again:D. However, just note that cart rides are not available on this tour. Martin or one of his handlers will demonstrate the harnessing and wheeled cart, but they don't offer cart rides (you will however have the opportunity to interact with the dogs and cuddle puppies to your heart's content!). Don't let the fact that they don't offer cart rides stop you from going on this tour - it is super!

What you CAN do is stop at the Iditarod Headquarters in Wasilla on your drive out to Martin's kennel in Big Lake - they offer cart rides for a very, very reasonable price (and they use Reddington dogs to boot!), plus you'll have the opportunity to cuddle puppies there as well, visit the really nice museum, watch some films regarding the first Iditarod, etc. Very worthwhile stop - we go everytime we are up in that neck of the woods.