Naples by train to Sorrento and Herculaneum

Adventures ahead

We've docked in Naples twice.

1st time - private tour of Amalfi Coast with stops, and Pompeii with a guide

2nd time - ferry to Capri

3rd time - coming up in September! We're in port from 7am-7pm on a Monday.

I've been searching cc for the logistics to get from the Regal Princess to the train station in Naples, to Sorrento, that may include going down from Piazza Tasso to Marina Grande for a look and bus back up, then visit Herculaneum on the return train (and save the Archaeological Museum for another time). I haven't found anyone mentioning this combination. If you have any tips to share with me, please do.

Keep in mind, if you are planning to go to Sorrento first, that you could also potentially take a hydrofoil (if the timing works out). If you've been to Capri, you know where the ferries depart.

If you want to take the train, you'll exit the port and walk to the major road that runs parallel to it. You'll see a kiosk right on the road where you can buy a ticket. I believe you need to get a U5 ticket to go to Sorrento.

You can get on a tram at the stop close to the kiosk and take it to the train station -- you want the Porta Nolana station, which is where the Circumvesuviana line starts (NOT the main train station, Napoli Centrale).

There are a couple of routes, so be sure to get on a train that is headed to Sorrento (end of the line). It's about a 70 minute ride unless you happen to catch one of the express trains.

At Sorrento, it's pretty easy to figure out your way around. When you're ready to go back, just return to the train station and get the train back to Naples, getting off at the Ercolano Scavi stop. (All the trains stop there, whether slower or express).

Walk down the hill once you exit the station. There are a few signs (not very obvious) but if you head downhill you'll run into the entrance.

I'll second Cruisemom's suggestion of making it a circular trip.:)

Fast-ferry to Sorrento (from same place as Capri ferries, not usually the high demand that Capri ferries get, there's one at 9am & takes about 50 minutes).

Then from Sorrento harbour up to town by the little €1 shuttlebus (or apparently there's an elevator somewhere along the cliff). Train to Naples every 30 minutes, 7 days a week, costs pennies. The route isn't very scenic.

The station for Herculaneum is Ercolano Scavi, just a few stops after Pompeii.

A 20-minute downhill walk to the site, or there'll probably be a little shuttle van - charges about €4 return. Same train to complete your return to Naples.

We did exactly that last summer. Simples.

That way round is preferable - no reliance on infrequent ferries to get back to your ship, Sorrento shops tend to close afternoons, and although it will be warmer later n the day there's plenty of shade at Herculaneum.

JB :)