First cruise ever!

campergirl62

Hi everyone.

We're going on our first ever cruise on Oceana to the Norwegian Fords on 31st August. We booked on Vantage/Select fare last September. We're in cabin A329, which is inside as we didn't want to spend a load of money just in case we don't like cruising. If we get an upgrade to anything we'll be thrilled to bits. I've got MS which is part of the reason for booking a cruise as my walking distance and stamina can be pretty low on some days. I like the idea of visiting different places without the effort!

We live in Sherborne so we've only a short train trip to Southampton on 31st August (only £38 return for both of us because of my disabled rail card). We've booked the Flam train trip and Hardangervidda sights and scenery excursions and intend to do our own thing at Stavanger and Kristiansand. Any tips or ideas would be most welcome. By the way, we're 51 and 52.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone.

We're going on our first ever cruise on Oceana to the Norwegian Fords on 31st August. We booked on Vantage/Select fare last September. We're in cabin A329, which is inside as we didn't want to spend a load of money just in case we don't like cruising. If we get an upgrade to anything we'll be thrilled to bits. I've got MS which is part of the reason for booking a cruise as my walking distance and stamina can be pretty low on some days. I like the idea of visiting different places without the effort!

We live in Sherborne so we've only a short train trip to Southampton on 31st August (only £38 return for both of us because of my disabled rail card). We've booked the Flam train trip and Hardangervidda sights and scenery excursions and intend to do our own thing at Stavanger and Kristiansand. Any tips or ideas would be most welcome. By the way, we're 51 and 52.

Thanks in advance.

Have fun !

Oh dear! If you're like the rest of here you will come home from your first cruise with an unshakeable and costly addiction. Fun though!

Seriously though, I am sure you will love it. We cruised to the fjords 2 years ago and had a fab time. Stavanger is very walkable, because you dock right in the town and it's just a short walk to the cathedral, old town, shops and museums.

If you're calling at Bergen, the ship's shuttle drops you in the centre of town and again it's a short walk to the museums, funicular railway, Bryggen fish market, etc.

The scenery is breathtaking.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

How lovely, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves. We are going to the fjords in May although a different itinerary and I can't wait.

But please make sure you have adequate travel insurance that covers you for a cruise and declare all medical conditions, even if it costs a bit more it is worth it; I speak from experience.

There is quite a lot of walking aboard the ship to get from one end to the other and I wondered if this walking stool might be a help to you onboard and ashore. I used one on a recent tour of Turkey and found it invaluable, but you do need to wear trousers as you have to straddle it.

http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/walking-sticks/walking-stick-seats/height-adjustable-stick-seat/

Oh dear! If you're like the rest of here you will come home from your first cruise with an unshakeable and costly addiction. Fun though!

Yep. First one we enjoyed. Second one we enjoyed more, knew more what we were doing. Now Mrs Hat wants to go everywhere ........... can I mortgage the children ?

Well, we're certainly looking forward to our cruise! We're more into scenery holidays than beach holidays, hence picking the Norwegian Fjords for our first cruise. We also chose the Oceana as it's described as 'family friendly' we thought it might have a more mixed age group.

We've decided to purchase a wine package before hand because it just means that's one more thing paid for in advance. But, if you don't manage to finish the whole bottle during your evening meal, are you allowed to take the bottle with you to a bar? I like to drink wine but my husband is more of a beer drinker and would probably only have one glass during a meal. If I had to drink 3/4 of a bottle in an hour or so, I'd be on the floor!! I've looked at the bar prices and buying it by the glass is quite expensive. A cocktail before dinner and a few glasses of wine during the evening is enough for me, especially with medication.

Welcome Campergirl, I am sure you will have a great time. I'll answer your question re the wine as you have just asked it. No problem at all taking the bottle from the dining room on to another bar or back to your room. Alternatively they will keep it in the restaurant for you until the next night. No pressure at all to try and finish the bottle during one dinner sitting.

If you like scenery the Fjords was an excellent choice it is a lovely cruise that we are fortunate enough to have done a number of times.

Nothing wrong with an inside stateroom either, we have booked them a couple of times. However, we started cruising for similar health reasons after I felt like a real burden on my husband on a land based vacation. We tend to go for a balcony as if those bad days strike I can still enjoy the view and fresh air and feel like I am on holiday. My husband is then happier about getting on and enjoying his holiday and not feeling guilty for doing so. So as I said nothing at all wrong with the inside room but maybe something to bare in mind when you cruise again. We have had an inside on Oceana, it works far better with the beds in a twin rather than a queen, especially if you have balance or weakness on one side issues. :)

I hope you have a wonderful time

Well, we're certainly looking forward to our cruise! We're more into scenery holidays than beach holidays, hence picking the Norwegian Fjords for our first cruise. We also chose the Oceana as it's described as 'family friendly' we thought it might have a more mixed age group.

We've decided to purchase a wine package before hand because it just means that's one more thing paid for in advance. But, if you don't manage to finish the whole bottle during your evening meal, are you allowed to take the bottle with you to a bar? I like to drink wine but my husband is more of a beer drinker and would probably only have one glass during a meal. If I had to drink 3/4 of a bottle in an hour or so, I'd be on the floor!! I've looked at the bar prices and buying it by the glass is quite expensive. A cocktail before dinner and a few glasses of wine during the evening is enough for me, especially with medication.

Hi Campergirl. Enjoy your first cruise, we did back in February this year and since then have booked another two cruises, it really is addictive, even if the first cruise was a near disaster as ours was.

As for the wine? we were going to book a wine package but decided to see how it went without one. As it was, it worked out better for us. Like your husband, I prefer a beer and so most evening meals I had a can of Speckled Hen whilst my wife had a wine. Not terribly posh, but it suited me.

Edited by shallwe