Live from Star Princess 4/14/2014

CoronaCRZR

We are currently on the Princess Star. 15 Day Cruise RT LA- Hawaii.

Got a few extra minutes on the WIFI plan, so I thought I would put down some of our thoughts

regarding this cruise. Please keep in mind these are my opinions/observations and most likely will vary from yours.

Got on Apr 4 and embarkation was a bit slow, were at the terminal at 11:30AM, and were on the ship by 1:30PM

The Star was built in 2002 and eventhough well kept up and maintained, is showing her age.

We are in a mini-suite on Deck 8 with covered balcony. The room is excellent.

The first 4 days were sea days, which the wife and I were a bit afraid of in terms of making sure there was enough to do,

but turns out we really like the sea days as it is very good to completely relax and you do not need to worry to get ready to get off for some excursion.

We heard a lot about cruise director David Cole, but he left the Star before the last cruise and this cruise is directed by Marahscalh Stanton. We are not impressed with him.

After day 2 in the cruise the captain informed us that there appears to be an outbreak of Noro virus on board, and he instituted no more self service in the restaurants as well

as removing any fruits from your drinks (i.e. no more lime in your vodka tonic etc.)

Although I understand the efforts to minimize the spread of the virus, I find it hard to understand the servers in the Horizon Court wearing gloves when the servers serving your coffee and drinks are not?

Again I get the efforts, but feel it does not very much to minimize the spread IMO.

We are at day 11 and this is still going on with approx 2% reported cases.

We have breakfast most mornings in the Horizon court. Each day there is the exact same food items. Sure would have been nice to change it up a bit on a 15 day cruise.

The dinning room food we find so so, quality on par with your local Applebees, with the fish entrees pretty good, but the beef entrees are low quality.

Do like the International Cafe as they always have something good to nibble on.

I have spoken to several other passengers on this cruise, and we all came up with the same conclusion that the staff appears to be tired.

This has been my first cruise where most crew/staff does not say hi or good morning, with the exception of the room service staff, few have a smile on their face.

Perhaps due to the increased workload due to Noro Virus efforts?

Hawaii was great, with perfect weather and beautiful ports, enjoyed our time there.

Today the seas are pretty rough, with overcast skies and good size whitecaps. We do not suffer from seasickness, but have a hard time walking around due to the motion

of the ship.

Let me know if anyone has a question regarding the Star as I may check back in before we get to Ensenada.

Ted

Hello Ted, My question is Princess still doing a Hawaiian Themed Program? Like teaching Ukulele and Hula dancing classes and if you have the names of the teachers? Is there Lei making and lectures about Hawaii? I understand that Elua, the Hawaiian couple is now on Diamond Princess. Thank, for any information you can provide. Sorry to hear about Noro situation. Two years ago doing the Alaska Cruise we had Noro the whole 10 days, going and coming. Mahalo, Stan

Yes they have another couple taking place of Elua, although they seem to have escaped me as I have not seen too much Hawaiian music around the ship. There are still Ukulele lessons, but as I do not participate I can't comment on them

Hello Ted, My question is Princess still doing a Hawaiian Themed Program? Like teaching Ukulele and Hula dancing classes and if you have the names of the teachers? Is there Lei making and lectures about Hawaii? I understand that Elua, the Hawaiian couple is now on Diamond Princess. Thank, for any information you can provide. Sorry to hear about Noro situation. Two years ago doing the Alaska Cruise we had Noro the whole 10 days, going and coming. Mahalo, Stan

So is the ship "well kept up and maintained" or is she "showing her age"? Perhaps you could clarify those seemingly contradictory observations.

I've been to an Applebee's. Once. All I can say is, you apparently have a much higher calibre Applebee's in your neighbourhood if the dining room food compares unfavourably. Good for you, I guess.

Thank you for your perspective. Food is very subjective so what one person considers mediocre, another absolutely loves. The really nice thing about Princess is that if you find the dinner food so-so, just ask for a modification or pre-order something else. Want Béarnaise sauce with your steak? Just ask. Prefer a loaded baked potato? Just ask. Want steamed vegetables? Just ask. There's no reason to "suffer" if the food is not prepared to your taste.

Edited by Pam in CA

Having just snagged a killer deal on a 5 day repro,on the Star i am sad to hear about the noro.

Any and all ships can , and usually do , get an outbreak from time to time and I have been on a few of those. i take precautions always and knock wood, so far so good.

We were on the Star last year and agreed that it was looking tired in places. Rust, worn " brass" fittings on bed side lamps and some unusually large dark stains on the carpets in our cabins to,name a few. I was on the Star the week before the fire a few years back so granted she is showing her age now ( arent we all?) . A trip to drydock is needed.

As far as service levels, the outbreak could be taxing the staff as another poster said. I am sure things will be spic and span soon and hope all is well for our May 4 cruise. Enjoy the rest of yours.

Pam, you are correct that food is very subjective, and like I said these are my observations. And yes they will modify some of the dishes if requested.

Thank you for your perspective. Food is very subjective so what one person considers mediocre, another absolutely loves. The really nice thing about Princess is that if you find the dinner food so-so, just ask for a modification or pre-order something else. Want Béarnaise sauce with your steak? Just ask. Prefer a loaded baked potato? Just ask. Want steamed vegetables? Just ask. There's no reason to "suffer" if the food is not prepared to your taste.