Fantastic Family Fun on the Fabulous Freedom of the Seas: a review

DrD

Cruise review Freedom of the Seas March 29th-April 5th Western Caribbean

Hi all, here’s my review. It’s kind of picture heavy. They’re from an iPhone so don’t expect wonders!

First, about us. We’re a family of 4, 2 boys age 12 and 9. My wife and I have been on 12 cruises now amongst 5 lines. Older son has been on 5 of them, younger on 4. We did this exact same cruise last year, so that says something right there.

We left Denver Friday morning; everything was smooth except we were picked up at 5:15 am! That’s early even for us, and the kids still think it was all a dream. They’re not quite sure how they got to Florida! We flew to MCO and picked up our one-way rental. As usual Budget had by far the longest line and it took about 30 minutes to get our car. It’s worth it for the convenience of having the drop-off so close to port. We drove to Radisson resort at the port and checked in around 3:30.

The Radisson was nice, we did have one problem but it was taken care of to my satisfaction but only after several calls. We had the whirlpool king suite which was ok although the bathroom was a bit small. The pool is fun and we spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out there. We didn’t eat at the hotel (except for some snacks at pool) because right next door was “Zachary’s family restaurant” and my 12 yo is Zachary, so of course we ate there twice! I took a lot of pictures of it, much to his embarrassment. This is my favorite; I can threaten him with putting it on Facebook if I need him to do (or not do more likely) something:

imagejpg2_zps8b67ed86.jpg

We had dinner there the first night and breakfast on Sunday, both were good, especially breakfast. It’s a nice place to eat if you’re at the Radisson. You can drive over and stay in Radisson lot then just walk about 30 feet over some grass to the door, you don’t need to go out onto the A1A.

Saturday we went to the Kennedy Space Center which is something I’ve always wanted to do. It was awesome! Both the boys loved it and even my wife I think thought it was ok. Here’s a mockup of launch control:

imagejpg3_zpsd89a8f04.jpg

They play a show there with the audio and some video of the Apollo 8 launch, it was very neat and at the end they (spoiler alert) made the windows rattle.

And here’s the bottom end of the Saturn V, it’s hard to appreciate how big it is unless you’re there. That thing burns 15 tons of fuel PER SECOND. That’s like a whole tanker truck every second.

imagejpg4_zps30d1d06a.jpg

At the end of the day it rained like crazy, there was actually a tornado warning and they made us stay inside. Of course boys loved it, it doesn’t rain much in Colorado. The security guy let them dash out for a few seconds to see what it was like.

One thing I didn’t know about the KSC is they have AWESOME French fries, they were done up with melted blue cheese and herbs and were super good, and unique. Who knew?

Saturday night we met up with my brother and his family (he lives in Palm Bay) and went to La Fiesta Mexican restaurant right there on the strip. I’m not a big fan of Mexican but I thought it was quite good. Naturally I ordered the only thing on the menu I’ve never heard of (some type of traditional fried pork) and it was delicious. Overall it was a nice place. We then went to a nearby playground and let the kids play while adults chatted. I resisted the urge to talk only about the cruise, probably would not be appreciated by someone who’s not going! Then a quick trip to Publix for our allowed bottles of carry on wine and after off to bed.

Sunday, finally the day is here! My countdown clock is at zero!! I got up early to go for a run, I had scouted out a route using google maps. I wound up down on the beach and got some nice shots:

imagejpg5_zps1895603b.jpg

imagejpg6_zps0eaad150.jpg

We went to Zachary’s for breakfast. We dropped off car early and got the first shuttle to the port. We got there about 10:30 but then had to wait about 20 minutes before they started letting people in. There was a coast guard inspection, ironically the exact same thing happened last year. I guess they’re not random (or maybe it’s an excuse? Who knows.) Fortunately we were some of the first I line and were inside while waiting. Once the line started up everything went smoothly. We checked in nice and quickly. They never had us do those GI illness forms for some reason. Our seapass cards had the right logos (soda package for boys, royal replenish for mom.) It was missing my wine and dine package, they had to put on a sticker at dinner the first night.

After check in we waited a few minutes then by about 11:15 we were walking on. Finally! It’s always such a great feeling to walk on and hear that ding. Last year they had a desk to register kids for AO just as you board, it was not there this time. BTW, the boys did not go to AO even once, so if you are here to find out more I’m sorry to disappoint. They prefer to stay with us or do stuff on their own. They went a few times last year and it was fine, they just don’t like structured activities. My older son is a bit shy and he had no interest in the teen club. We used to make them go in cruises past so we could have some alone time but now they’re civilized enough that I don’t mind them being around all week.

We followed our usual protocol of getting a table near the pool and commenced relaxing. My younger was officially the first person in the pool. Wife and I went separately to WJ and brought back food. Let the vacation begin! Boys wasted no time getting ice cream:

imagejpg8_zpsed49e0fb.jpg

Crew was doing a life boat drill. Actually I think it was the Disney crew as they have yellow lifeboats (they had to get permission for that as they’re supposed to be orange.):

imagejpg7_zps1dee5dca.jpg

There’s a lot of discussion around WJ, I thought it was ok. We only went for lunch on embarkation day. I went for breakfast several times and went for what they called “tea” from 3-5 just about every day. We had late seating so a snack was essential. I always found something good to eat. Breakfast there was great, I ate there all but 2 days. They had several types of pre-made omelets including salmon as well as the custom station. I did encounter cold food a few times. Overall I’d give it an “A” for breakfast and a “B” for lunch/snack.

We went to our cabins at 3. We had 2 adjacent (but not connected) balcony cabins on deck 8. They’re quite adequate although I really would not want 4 in there, especially with bathroom. Not having a connecting door was fine as we had balcony divider open and that made it convenient to go back and forth. Last year we did have connecting cabins but from now on I’ll do it this way. It’s nice having full couch rather than the chair you get with the connecting cabins (to make room for door.) I stopped at GR almost as soon as we boarded to get an extra key to the boy’s cabin just in case but we never used it.

One thing we noticed right away is they have way more freestyle machines. Last year there were only 2 on royal promenade but this year they were several in WJ and even one in arcade. A nice improvement.

Joseph our Filipino steward was amazing. He did everything perfectly. Once night he could not do turndown for boys as they stayed in with room service. This was a towel animal night so he did it for them the next day with daytime service! I thought that was nice, he could easily have just skipped it (we got ours the night before with turndown, so it’s not like they didn’t get to see it.) He also nicely arranged my 9 yo’s stuffed animals (he still brings them on trips):

imagejpg11_zps82d12239.jpg

I’m always amazed how they get things done. One joke we heard somewhere that kind of sums it up is how when you get up at night to go to bathroom you’ll find your bed made on your return! Not too far off the truth.

Next we did sailaway on deck 12, here’s the Grandeur as we go by:

imagejpg10_zpsdc195e44.jpg

I was so sorry to hear they got the noro. As we went by our ships had a horn duel, it was pretty neat. The Grandeur was the first RCCL ship we went on and my older boy’s first cruise. After sailaway we mostly stayed by pool until time to get ready for dinner. I did go to MDR to find table and take a picture:

imagejpg9_zps8d39b222.jpg

We skipped welcome aboard show as we’re not really show people. If you are reading this to find out about shows I’m sorry. We did the 2 production shows last year and saw no reason to go again. We did go to Magic Show again which is great and definitely worth seeing twice. Before dinner we went to free night in arcade. The arcade on FOTS is awesome, but this year we didn’t spend hardly any time there. Not sure why, I guess we got it out of our system last year.

Off to the dining room. We had a 4-top on deck 3. Our serving team was from India and were both superb, except for one thing which I’ll get to towards the end. They did several “magic” tricks throughout the week such as lifting a wineglass with a straw, balancing a wine glass on a dollar bill, etc. They were great with the boys who really enjoyed going to dinner. Service was speedy and we were out by about 9:15-9:30 every night. We ate there all 7 nights, the boys just skipped one night.

We thought the dinner food was great, we didn’t have one bad item. We are all non-picky eaters and I think that’s the key. If you can’t eat whole categories of food you may not find much to like. The boys were able to get escargot every night. Some standout items include the lamb shank, the beef shoulder/steak combo, and all seafood, except maybe lobster tail which is ok. We had no trouble getting multiple appetizers etc. My 9 yo usually orders from kid’s menu but he did so only once on this trip as he always saw something on adult menu he wanted. We didn’t send anything back and all plates were cleaned! I know it’s subjective but for the life of me I don’t get people that say the food is horrible. The only thing we got from the everyday menu was the escargot and once the shrimp cocktail for the table. My 12 yo loved the fact that the waiter cut his meat. This happened when he had the lamb, the asst waiter offered to cut it, first he said no, then the asst waiter watched him and said “you’re cutting the bone” and basically took over:

imagejpg21_zps077614ba.jpg

After that my son was happy to let him cut his meat every time he had some.

After a great meal and much wine it was off to bed.

Day#2: at sea

I woke up early and the wife was already awake and enjoying coffee. This is why we get a balcony:

imagejpg12_zpscc055869.jpg

I went to WJ and had a great breakfast. We kind of bummed around all day and didn’t do any organized activities. We played some mini golf:

imagejpg13_zps5244143b.jpg

Older son did the rock wall:

imagejpg14_zps9c7d2cfe.jpg

Younger son taught me how to play Othello (I didn’t tell him I already knew) and he beat me handily:

imagejpg15_zps902a010b.jpg

We spent an hour at flowrider:

imagejpg16_zps945d4831.jpg

I tried standup and lasted about 5 seconds. We got a great video of daddy wiping out that my boys have watched about 100 times since we’ve got back.

Next JR for lunch. It was really good. It’s a bit pricy IMHO if you can eat “only” a standard amount. The bacon cheese fries were a hit:

imagejpg17_zpsb360c02c.jpg

I ate this bad boy:

imagejpg18_zps3cbed10e.jpg

Next belly flop contest:

imagejpg19_zpse7cbd535.jpg

Finally some serious relaxation/reading at our favorite quiet spot, deck 12 aft:

imagejpg20_zpseddfac9d.jpg

We also got in some ping-pong which is a whole new game in the wind. Who needs top spin when you have wind gusts? All in all about as nice a day as anyone can expect in this world.

Day#3: Labadee

We had a hillside cabana and planned to get up early and get to relaxing there. Sailing in:

imagejpg22_zps31088acf.jpg

We decided on room service breakfast. Now they call you to tell you it’s on the way which is nice, it’s awkward to be awoken by knock and have to scramble to get decent to answer door. Not everyone in family was thrilled with being up early:

imagejpg1_zpsa3218623.jpg

We debarked immediately and took tram to cabana:

imagejpg23_zps150727fe.jpg

I was puzzled as to where the hillside cabanas are exactly as I had looked on google maps satellite view and couldn’t find them. It turns out they weren’t built yet when satellite photo last was taken. Here’s a picture of where they are:

Hillside_zps00ffa0b7.jpg

The path up is pretty far. The top of hill is behind cabana right about the second bend of path is (coming from the beach.) So the path is up then down and there are several stairs. It’s not bad once or twice but if you go back and forth a lot it’s kind of a pain, especially when you have to go to rest room! If you plan to drink a lot you may want to bring a big bottle ;)

Near the cabana at the top of the hill was an old wall of a church, I’ve labeled it in the picture. You can just see it in satellite photo. When I say old I mean really old:

imagejpg28_zps00ccd826.jpg

That’s 1780 something!!

The cabana and attendant were great (I’m overusing that word I know, I’ll try to come up with another superlative.) We took the usual pics of ship and area:

imagejpg24_zpsa9091b1f.jpg

imagejpg25_zpsff0f4c1a.jpg

imagejpg26_zps27d42f52.jpg

imagejpg27_zps6160d544.jpg

This is the cabana from the back as you approach:

imagejpg29_zps7eb482d1.jpg

These cabanas are nice overall. Yes it’s a bit of a hike but the upside is they’re isolated, private, and quiet.

We did the coaster twice and aquapark. Both are really fun for kids and adults, but the aquapark is quite a workout. We also did some swimming and this year we were allowed to swim on the rocky (north) side which was fun as there were waves. The boys and I had a great time playing there, we’re easily impressed by waves since we live so far from ocean! It was very rocky and should not be attempted without watershoes, and even with you have to be careful and relatively fit or the waves will push you into the rocks. We went out until up to my neck (boys held on) and bobbed up and down. We were the only ones in the water there. It was a blast.

Lunch was good. They gave us bracelets for upgraded buffet without us asking. It was nice this year as they had the ribs (they didn’t last year) and there was no line at all when we went.

After we returned to ship there was a medical evacuation, the helicopter landed on the dock rather than helipad:

imagejpg30_zpsa648a57a.jpg

I’m still not sure what happened and hope the person is ok. He looked ok as he rolled down dock in stretcher; at least he was waving at everyone. Back on board, snack, cleanup, lazing, then 7pm show. It was a guy doing covers of tunes, I don’t remember his name. WinksCruises is posting the compass in his review so it’ll be there. One trick we use is we go straight to balcony from deck 4 and sit in front row. No crowds, great view, and convenient place for drinks:

imagejpg31_zps04e1944a.jpg

Having said that though none of the shows we went to were crowded. I think the 7pm show for late seating guests is less well attended. Suits me. After show another great and fun dinner. Family went to relax in cabin and I listened to Spanish guitarist in Bolero’s. He was quite good and I spent a pleasant 30 minutes listening. I went back a few more times but he left by day 4 or so. Then off to bed and found the first towel animal:

imagejpg32_zps30567481.jpg

He also nicely arranged my 9 yo’s stuffed animals (he still brings them on trips):

imagejpg11_zps82d12239.jpg

Hilarious...must be the age. I have 3 girls, ages 9, 9, and 11, and they LOVE minecraft and have all of these stuffed animals as well!

Loving the review! Can't wait to hear about the other ports!

Thank you for sharing your family vacation!!

Question: Your sons weren't required to stay in the cabin with you?

jayblue RCCL cruiser

No, thank goodness!

They have to be in an adjacent or across the hall cabin. We didn't know that last year so we just put one adult and one kid in each cabin, and switched it around on board.

Ok, I'm back.

Day 4: Falmouth

I got up early again, grabbed some pastries from café promenade, and went for a run on track. It was nice, not crowded at all this time of day. There were other people using it but no one just walking around or putting chairs on it. Then for a full breakfast:

imagejpg52_zps29e95dc0.jpg

In Falmouth we booked a private tour with Courtney Taylor. We learned about him here (thanks!) and were not disappointed. He met us right on time and drove us to Blue Hole. He chatted and sang the whole way and the hour drive went by fast. We eventually got to a dirt road:

imagejpg33_zps8f0dc948.jpg

The blue hole is so beautiful. Not crowded and really fun. We got some super family pictures in the waterfall:

imagejpg36_zps959bd416.jpg

You can swim in water but guides also take you to places where you can jump and swing. The whole place was surrounded by lush greenery:

imagejpg34_zpsd709891b.jpg

imagejpg37_zpsdf0dd77e.jpg

imagejpg39_zps23f21d18.jpg

imagejpg40_zps30673911.jpg

After that we went tubing on white river, also very fun but a bit over-priced ($100 for 4.) Then Courtney drove us back, we didn’t stop for lunch as we were still full from breakfast. All in all I was thrilled with tour, I paid about what a similar RCL tour would cost but had a private van and driver and got to go to a much cooler and less developed place. I highly recommend Courtney Taylor.

Back to ship for more bumming around and eating (and drinking.) About packages, I probably could have bought drink package and broken even or come out slightly ahead. I didn’t think I would drink that much but it’s amazing how easy it is, especially towards the end. There are so many different venues and so many different kinds of drinks. Service was always fast and fun. Next time I’ll probably get the package. I think just about everyone does because a few times I could tell they were surprised I didn’t have it. Once I even got a free drink, the Bolero’s bartender gave me my drink and when I got the receipt it said zero. Of course I told him about the mistake as I’m not a thief and he corrected it. In Labadee I ordered 2 Labadoozie’s from our attendant but he said I could only get one with 1 card (my wife was off somewhere.) I didn’t argue but when he came back he had 2, he explained he’d assumed I had the package. My kids liked soda package. Wife liked royal Replenish but probably didn’t get money’s worth. The bottles of water they have at debarkation were NOT included (they were the wrong size) and I thought that a bit petty.

That night I think was magic show which as I’ve said was really good.

Finally off to bed, yeah mon! Another towel animal awaits:

imagejpg51_zps380fbba9.jpg

By the way, I may not have the order of the towel animals correct.

Day 5: Grand Cayman

We did not have to get up early as our tour wasn’t until noon. I decided to have breakfast in the MDR. It was a bit of a disappointment, I had eggs benedict and they were just ok, kind of cold, and egg yolks overdone. As I went by myself I was seated with others. This is usually fun but can be a pain as it was in this case when a lady, quite unsolicited, started giving me her strong opinions on a social issue. I was a bit taken aback especially as she had no way to know that I wasn’t a member of the group she was going on about. I finished very fast and high-tailed it out of there.

We got our act together and went to deck 1 for tenders. Line really wasn’t bad although we sat on tender for about 10 minutes before we left. On the way over I took obligatory picture of the ship:

imagejpg42_zps1644ede9.jpg

We did shipwreck snuba through RCCL and it was a blast. It’s very convenient, you literally walk to dive site from pier. My younger son has done scuba in a pool so I thought he’d be all over it but he kept having problems with regulator and mask. Somehow these problems didn’t occur just below the surface so I suspect he was a bit nervous to go deep. I’m certified in scuba and I thought snuba was a good substitute. Less rigmarole but you still get to swim and see a lot. The hoses to raft are long so we could go all the way to bottom (about 30 feet.) There were plenty of fish on shipwreck and reef. My older son had never done scuba and he had no trouble with snuba.

After snuba we went to candy store right at pier. It was super cool with all kinds of weird candy you don’t see in the states as well as giant candy bars:

imagejpg46_zpsd807a934.jpg

imagejpg47_zps691e1171.jpg

This is a good place to bring kids. Be aware Grand Cayman is expensive, my latte cost over $5 US.

We tendered back after waiting on a long but fast-moving line. Our line was shaded with a canopy while the Carnival people were in the hot sun. Score one for RCCL. Something about tenders always makes me want to take pictures:

imagejpg48_zpsf39642b2.jpg

imagejpg49_zps013d79ad.jpg

Back on board, again we lazed around and ate and drank (see a theme here?) I had to take a picture of the incredibly blue water:

imagejpg50_zps0f27931e.jpg

After another lovely dinner we wandered around, listened to music, then found next towel animal:

imagejpg1_zps64727d6f.jpg

About dress code, we found everyone to be nicely dressed in our dining room. No shorts or t-shirts and on formal night it seemed everyone made at least some effort. I’m thinking that underdressing is much more of a problem with my time dining.

Day 6: Cozumel

For this port we booked dolphin swim through Chankanaab. It was cheaper to book through them with early-bird discount. Also for some reason RCCL doesn’t offer the “Royal swim” which is what we wanted to do. The swim was for 11am, but I didn’t know ship would be 2 hours ahead, so I turned out we didn’t have to go early. No one was too upset about that. I got to go running again (I only went twice on ship and once on land, bad bad bad! I’m making up for it this week.) I took this pic of track with Navigator docked next to us:

imagejpg53_zps249fcecd.jpg

We cabbed over to Chankanaab, $12. Before swim we saw sea lion show which was very good. We also toured Mayan ruins which was timely as my older son is doing a unit on these civilizations in school:

imagejpg55_zps3933f422.jpg

imagejpg56_zps4da76fd6.jpg

Finally the swim which was an experience none of us will ever forget. It was simply amazing:

DSC_0182_zps622255b2.jpg

I still can’t get over how these glorious creatures can lift a grown man out of the water! You start by lying in the water on your stomach with your arms in front like superman. Then the dolphins put their noses on your feet and start to push. They then somehow lift you up out of water and you feel like you’re waterskiing. They even did it with a guy who probably weighed twice what I do. They’re strong creatures. I’ll never forget that swim until the day I die. Chankanaab also has a nice pool which we used and a beach which we didn’t. Overall it’s a good place to spend the day.

After lunch (ok) we went back to port for some cheap beers in port area ($1 each!!!). We also visited our favorite store, I forget the name but it’s basically all swords, armor, old guns, ship models, etc. My son and I geeked out with owner and bought some stuff. It’s a great store for history/weapons buffs, I’ll try to remember the name.

One more picture of FOTS next to NOTS:

imagejpg59_zps8145d94c.jpg

We then went to WJ for snack, the greeter (who is hysterical) was making balloon animals:

imagejpg61_zpse9f0edf5.jpg

Later wife and I went to dinner without the kids who enjoyed staying in cabin and ordering room service and playing on iPads. They hadn’t touched them all trip but all of a sudden they wanted to. They enjoyed the room service, I think it makes them feel grownup, especially the tip part. That night we had our last towel animal: (this was the one Joseph did in the morning for boys.)

imagejpg60_zpscc7a802e.jpg

Day 7: at sea.

This last day we did a lot more organized activities. First we did trivia, it was billed as “where in the world” but was actually USA geography. I thought I’d be good at it but the questions were way hard. I did learn a few things though. It was a good time. Next wife and younger boy did bingo, older boy and I did backstage tour. This was very interesting and well worth it. Jacob, one of the dancers, was our tour guide. First he answered questions then took us onstage and backstage. Here’s the backstage area:

imagejpg64_zpse43f76d8.jpg

Costumes:

imagejpg63_zps2f7bcaef.jpg

The performers come and go and like to leave their mark:

imagejpg62_zps4e9bfdb1.jpg

One thing I learned is a lot can go wrong with wigs:

imagejpg65_zpsb2c8a6a4.jpg

Today we had lunch in the MDR which was outstanding. I wish we could have done this more often but with only 2 sea days and a trip to JR this was it. I ordered the portabella mushroom burger with Cajun french-fries and had a big salad from tutti salad bar while I waited for it to come out. Ice cream for dessert. The burger was really good as were the fries and really everything. Definitely try MDR for lunch at least once. The whole family went this time and with sat with another family and this went well, no politics! Later we did a game show called 30 seconds or less. It was a blast! Here’s my younger son about to do one of the events:

imagejpg69_zpsac00d3fb.jpg

In this event they strapped a box to his waist with a belt and filled box with ping pong balls. They had to shake and shimmy to get all balls out without jumping or using hands. He won! Later I did an event and failed epically. My competitor also failed but slightly less horribly so they gave him the win.

I took a few more pictures around the Royal Promenade:

imagejpg67_zps39fe5a8f.jpg

imagejpg68_zps6a4edcf1.jpg

Later we did farewell show with comedian and comedy juggler. CD Casey Pelter was funnier than the comedian. Many people ask about CD, I’m not a good judge of that kind of thing but I though he was good. He certainly had us in stiches that last night. I didn’t watch any of his shows (we didn’t turn TV on much) but we saw him everywhere. Along those lines all the officers were highly visible. If you want to meet one informally hang out in champagne bar, they like to come around and chat with guests. I had a nice chat with hotel director Rodney Darwin. We chatted about skiing in Colorado, he has experience in the ski industry and was very familiar with all our ski areas and is himself an avid skier.

Next was a final great dinner but with one strange occurrence. Wine has a weird way of evaporating so our package of 5 bottles was all gone. Wife and I both wanted a glass with our last supper. I’ve always thought drink service in MDR is terrible and I was right. Even though our servers knew we liked wine with dinner no one offered us a drink. I waited until appetizers and soups/salads were done and then finally couldn’t stand it anymore. I got up, went to nearest bar, and came back with 2 glasses.

Now this isn’t so bad but when I got back our asst waiter was giving me a look that would freeze lava and said “I could have gotten that for you.” Well you could of but you didn’t so why are you mad at me? Anyway this was really the only time we got what I would consider subpar service and it was over in a second, he quickly became his usual smiling self. I still think it’s strange he was mad, I hope I didn’t get him in trouble.

Fortunately for him his extra tip envelope was already set up or I might have taken some back! Speaking of, my younger son had learned earlier to do napkin folding, so we gave them their envelopes in napkins folded into little tuxedos. My darling, kind, good 12yo didn’t know there was money there so he actually gave our waiter $5 of his own money! He shook his hand and had money in his hand, just as he’s seen on TV! We thought that was cute and gave him his $5 back.

Day 8: Time to go

As usual debarkation was easy. We ate in WJ and went to Pharaoh’s lounge to wait to be called. CNN was on and the news was exactly the same as when we left. They have coffee and pastries. This is a nice perk for anyone in C&A. While waiting I went out to helipad and got one last picture of ship in the light of the morning sun:

imagejpg1_zps134492f5.jpg

They called our number and we breezed through customs. We took the RCCL shuttle back to MCO. You can purchase tickets at guest relations anytime, I don’t remember exact price but it was reasonable. Flight back was smooth and we were home by 4:30. It’s always sad to come back from a nice vacation but when we see how happy our dog is to see us we feel a lot better.

As you can tell it was a great cruise. I suppose I have to find something to criticize so I’ll pick the new, electronic C&A benefits. I knew we wouldn’t get a coupon book but I thought we’d get something explaining what our offers were but nope. I had to go down to guest services to get them to print a list of the offers. Throughout the cruise staff never reminded us. For example, it wasn’t until the last day that the bartender at the pool bar, from whom I’d been ordering drinks all week, said “do you want to use your 2 for 1 drink offer?” I definitely got the impression they hope you forget to use benefits and indeed I think we didn’t use many of them. We did use the internet discount and the bag of laundry. We like dogs and know that sometimes they have drug dogs at customs and didn’t want to subject our canine friends to the smell of wet, dirty boy socks so the bag of laundry is a good deal.

A few more thoughts. My wife liked the spa, she went twice. She thought the massage therapist was excellent. She thinks the hairstylist may have been pushing product but she couldn’t really understand her. Muster was a bit strange as our station was way far from our cabin, so when we went out on promenade we had quite a hike, through the crowd. That’s a first!

The Freedom of the Seas remains our favorite ship. . Food, service, and the overall layout of the ship are the main standouts for us. Going 2 years in a row was nice, we felt less pressure to do and see everything and were able to find new things to do in each port. Next time we’ll probably try a different ship but will stay with RCCL. We’re thinking time for Oasis class. We love cruising and especially enjoyed this one. RCCL over 4 cruises has delivered a consistent and superior product. We have evolved towards traditional dining with set mealtimes and servers and RCCL does this well. The boys loved it also, in fact they’re the main reason we went again as they had so much fun last year. You, dear reader, will not be disappointed if you choose to cruise the lovely Freedom of the Seas.

Feel free to ask any questions and thanks for reading.

Hilarious...must be the age. I have 3 girls, ages 9, 9, and 11, and they LOVE minecraft and have all of these stuffed animals as well!

Loving the review! Can't wait to hear about the other ports!

Yeah minecraft is huge right now with them. I'm glad it's a creative game.

Loving your review even more because we were on your cruise!

My husband was standing right around your location at the belly flop competition, and we went to Bolero's every night. We just loved Agnes and Edward.

We did the drink package and really liked it. I know we at least broke even, especially with drinks at Labadee being included.

I forgot to mention we also did the ice show on Friday. we saw it lat year but worth seeing again! It was great. They did some amazing routines and quick (I mean magic-show like quick) costume changes. Definitely a must-see.