Booking flight homs AFTER the cruise...what time is safest?

scrapperluv

Hi everyone! I can't wait to get going!! It's our first cruise!

I believe we reach the Port of Miami at 8AM, but I'm not sure what time is good for our flight home after that. Do we actually get off the ship at 8AM? How do they work it?

There is a flight at 10:30AM out of Miami Airport. Is that cutting it too close? Thanks!! Heidi

I believe we reach the Port of Miami at 8AM, but I'm not sure what time is good for our flight home after that. Do we actually get off the ship at 8AM? How do they work it?

There is a flight at 10:30AM out of Miami Airport. Is that cutting it too close? Thanks!! Heidi

It's all in what you feel comfortable doing. We are flying 10:40 a.m. out of Miami. We've done that same flight the last couple of years without issue, but there are no guarantees.

I made the 11am flight out of Miami last Friday. We did self assist and had purchased FTTF. Our ship was even late getting in to port, arrived at 8:05 am and the plan was to be there at 6:30. We were one of the first off the ship at 8:40am and were sitting at our gate at 9:40. You can do it but be prepared for a stressful morning.

Safest?

Next day in my opinion.

Takes all of the debate of possible delays of the ship reentering the port, Customs delays, etc.

Allows you to take your time getting off the ship. Allows you time to unwind and relax.

We are getting off the Breeze in Miami, and have a 10:50 out of FLL.

We did this last year, but were TOO cautious, and booked a 5pm flight back.

Well, needless to say, we got to the airport at 8:30am, and were unable to get an earlier flight back, on Southwest.:mad::mad:

Made for a VERY long airport day........

Self assist is the way to go.

We had a 1:30 flight out of Los Angeles after our Hawaii cruise in January and we literally checked in with 2 minutes to spare. We were on the phone with the airline on the way to the airport asking what our options were when / if we missed our flight. I thought we would have plenty if time but disembarkation was a nightmare. We got lucky but we likely won't take that chance again!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I really don't like to book before 11:30/ 12 because it's just so stressful..

I mean yes you can probably do a 10:30 flight but I probably wouldn't book it just because that is going to be one heck of a stressful morning. We always self assist off the ship and are at the airport by no later than 8:30 but we have never been delayed into port either. So, I always think, what happens if we are delayed? Then you're looking at later than 8:30 and that's if you do self assist. Even later if you don't self assist.

Kelley, I agree with you. We have been very fortunate in the cruises wife and I have taken so far in that they have been in port earlier than expected. So, we've been off quickly as self-assist. You never know what will happen. So, my recommendation is to book around noon-ish, and keep the phone number of the airline with your flight information handy in case something comes up.

Steve

Usually the ship arrives much earlier but it takes customs, immigration, etc a good while to clear everything for debarkation. If you are in an early group like self assist (where you carry all your things off the ship with you and don't have to go to baggage claim) or fttf or platinum, you can get off first around 8 or 830 or whatever. It doesn't usually take that long to get through customs and you are then outside the terminal where it is up to you to get transportation to the airport. In MIA, I would say 1030 is a little too early but if you are first off and get quick transport to your airport and checkin with a skycap outside, maybe you can get to your gate in time for your flight. I generally don't do anything earlier than 1130 or noon just so I can relax getting off the ship and don't have to hurry back to the airport on the last day of vacation.