Garment bags?

Rache.

Did the brochure explain why not? I recently had some concerns about taking a garment bag because I realized a GB is too big to use as a to carry on, and I can imagine they could get really banged around in storage. But the few posters who have responded to my post so far have assured me this hasn't been a problem for them. I don't know -- still seems risky to me... But how else is one supposed to pack a suit or sportcoat without them getting completely wrinkled?

I also find it confusing. I've been on one HAL cruise, used a garment bag and don't see any reason not to.

It's pretty dumb of them to write something like that in a brochure and then offer no explaination as to the reason. I'd give them a call. But I can't fathom any reason they would make that suggestion.

In my experience with HAL, they are talking about the type of garment bag that has hanger tops sticking out of the top. The concern is that the hangers will get hooked on other things and cause damage. They are not concerned about heavy regular garment bags that are a type of luggage such as Samsonite.

I usually put my clothes in a thinner garment bag inside my regular Samsonite garment bag. It helps keep it from wrinkling and makes for easier packing. That way I don't have to worry about snagging my chiffon gown in the zipper.

Linda :)

http://www.hollandamerica.com/guests/category.do?category=packing&topic=packing

The above posters are correct, they don't want protruding hangers out of garment bags being checked. I have a wonderful garment bag that I can use to pack a weeks worth of clothes. It couldn't possibly be used as a carry on, as it is about the size of a medium suitcase. I actually prefer to pack in this, as all the clothes are on hangers, it's so easy to unpack.

What you carry onto the ship has to go through an x-ray machine similar to the ones at the airport. So, if you have a small garment bag (the type for a single suit, with the hanger out the top) you could put that through the screening process.

We have a travel pro rolling garment bag that when open is 7 inches deep. It holds formal (3 dresses) and semi-formal (5-6 dresses) wear for a 14 day cruise as well as hubby's tux, dinner jacket, suit, sports jacket and slacks, as well as some of my casual dining clothes. When folded in half and zipped, it is the size of a suitcase.

Archived