Best viewing of the Canal on Island?

mb1007

I have seen this quote on the boards "The forward viewing areas through the "secret" doors are great". Where are these secret doors? What decks are they located on? We will be on a partial transit from FLL in January.

We were on the Island March 17th sailing and the secret door is really not that secret. Caribe Deck, both port and starboard have doors..we were on the starboard, aft. We went back and forth from the viewing deck to our cabin because there are different things to see. PLUS they were taking pictures of passengers holding the signs we made for going through the canal. It takes a LONG LONG time, so have your camera/video camera batteries charged!

I have seen this quote on the boards "The forward viewing areas through the "secret" doors are great". Where are these secret doors? What decks are they located on? We will be on a partial transit from FLL in January.

They are on Baja and Caribe decks. Don't forget about the aft viewing areas too! Here's a couple of photos, you can get much better photos from these areas than from the upper decks:

1988698520_26dfdd1cab_z.jpgPanama Canal 071 by RickEk, on Flickr

1988826858_efb418ff4a_z.jpgPanama Canal 086 by RickEk, on Flickr

We viewed from deck 10 in the back of the ship. There is a door, that is not marked for authorized personnel. We went through and were at the front of the ship.

I have heard that there is also viewing on deck 11. After the initial passage into the first canal, things get a little more relaxed. If you booked a balcony or above it's not bad to sit out there as you sail across Lake Gatun.

Have fun, and enjoy. We did!

All the answers are correct. We did the Canal on her sister ship, the Coral. I would add the Dolphin deck has access in the rear as well. Doing Alaska in 40 days on the Coral and we booked the last room right by the rear deck doors. Might be a bit noisy but what a view in Alaska!!

Enjoy the Canal!!

Cheers, Kenn

You will go through 3 locks so what we did when we were on the sister ship the Coral was view the first lock from the aft on the Baja deck, the second lock from the Pomade deck <up close and personal, and the third lock from the stern on the Baja deck. Pretty awesome looking down on the gates from the stern of the ship. The aft upper decks tend to get crowded but not to many people on the Baja.

On an excursion note, if it fits your budget, Excursion PC1-615 Panama Canal & Locks transit by boat is well worth it, the hour ride from where the ship's tender drops you off the Gamboa is very scenic. Gamboa is right in the Gaillard Cut. There you board the boat that takes you though the remaining sets of lock and to the Pacific Ocean. It was incredible to be in a small boat in the locks. Gives one a perspective of just how massive they are. Even have a picture of DW touching the side of the lock. They had plenty of soda and water on the boat and the buffet lunch was pretty good. As I said, well worth the cost.

Enjoy your cruise, you are in for a great time.