Alaska Cruise with baby, does Norwegian accept hospital record of birth?

Jzx1103

We are going to an Alaska cruise next month, just realized i'm missing a birth certificate for my 1 year old. I just ordered one earlier so hopefully it will get to us before we leave. but just in case it gets lost in the mail or delayed. Will Norwegian except a hospital record of birth??? I called Norwegian and the guy who answered the phone just said he can't help me. Anyone can answer this for me. Thanks!!!

No, a hospital issued certificate of birth is not acceptable documentation. Sorry

Ok, im confused, just checked Norwegians website link above provided by the first responder. It said any hospital birth record issued before 7/1/10 is not excepted. But my son was born last year, so does that mean they can accept his?

Since the OP didn't say, I am not sure regarding the starting and ending ports. I know I have been on cruises that began in Seattle and ended in Vancouver. I guess my point is if the cruise is originating and/or ending in Vancouver and the OP is flying back into the US wouldn't a passport be required? I think the Birth Certificate can be used if the cruise starts and ends in the same US city.

Sorry if I am confusing things.

Jim

We are going to an Alaska cruise next month, just realized i'm missing a birth certificate for my 1 year old. I just ordered one earlier so hopefully it will get to us before we leave. but just in case it gets lost in the mail or delayed. Will Norwegian except a hospital record of birth??? I called Norwegian and the guy who answered the phone just said he can't help me. Anyone can answer this for me. Thanks!!!

I am sure it will arrive in time. The answer to your question: No.

Since the OP didn't say, I am not sure regarding the starting and ending ports. I know I have been on cruises that began in Seattle and ended in Vancouver. I guess my point is if the cruise is originating and/or ending in Vancouver and the OP is flying back into the US wouldn't a passport be required? I think the Birth Certificate can be used if the cruise starts and ends in the same US city.

Sorry if I am confusing things.

Jim

Sorry, yea forgot to mention its seattle roundtrip. On norwegians website it said hospital birth records issued prior to 7/1/2010 cannot be excepted. So it sounds like anything after that date they will except. But I called norwegian again and the person wont confirm nor deny. Anyways im prob fretting over nothing, hopefully the actual birth certificate arrives on time.

Sorry, yea forgot to mention its seattle roundtrip. On norwegians website it said hospital birth records issued prior to 7/1/2010 cannot be excepted. So it sounds like anything after that date they will except. But I called norwegian again and the person wont confirm nor deny. Anyways im prob fretting over nothing, hopefully the actual birth certificate arrives on time.

It's a US customs thing, not a Norwegian thing. Regardless of what Norwegian tells you, they are not the final authority on this. And no, a hospital birth record isn't sufficient because a 1yo isn't a newborn:

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate. The United States does not require you to have a passport. (A Consular report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Certificate of Naturalization is also acceptable.)

From the CBP (customs and border patrol) website link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

There will also be some excursions that you cannot go on without a passport on an Alaskan Cruise, we had to get passports for my three grandsons for our upcoming cruise to Alaska and one of them is 14 months old. The problem is the re-entry into the US. Without proper documentation, the cruiseline won't let you board knowing that at debark there will be immigration problems.

Ok, im confused, just checked Norwegians website link above provided by the first responder. It said any hospital birth record issued before 7/1/10 is not excepted. But my son was born last year, so does that mean they can accept his?

It is a poorly written sentence. They mean Puerto Rican BC's before that date are not accepted, not hospital records before that date.

They should have said:

Baptismal paper and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable, nor are Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10.

or

Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10, baptismal paper, and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable.

Edited by sdmike

It believe the NCL document is confusing and should be interpreted and rewritten as:

The following are not accepted:

Baptismal papers

Hospital certificates of birth

Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10

Edited by kylenyc

Ok that makes sense, yea Norwegian should definitely word that sentence better. People could easily misunderstand. Anyways just to make sure. My son wouldnt need anything else other than a govt certified birth certificate right? Please tell me he doesnt need a passport also.

Ok that makes sense, yea Norwegian should definitely word that sentence better. People could easily misunderstand. Anyways just to make sure. My son wouldnt need anything else other than a govt certified birth certificate right? Please tell me he doesnt need a passport also.

He will not need the passport for the Seattle/Alaska round trip voyage. But let me respond to this question in a different way than others have thus far.

Problem: I'm leaving the country. What should I have?

Not "what will work" or "what is required" or "what has worked for others" -- the best answer is whatever the best practice is: passport.

The kid will be fine with the official birth certificate. Just try to use this line of thinking in future endeavors.

Have a blast!