Can I work in visting "David" if I take the the "Taste Of Florence" RCCL ship's tour?

I am debating on hiring a private driver while in Livorno (Florence) or taking the ship's tour "Taste of Florence" which gives you 3 hrs of free time. The only thing the tour does not cover that I feel I must see is "David". If I get advanced reservations, can I fit him in with that 3 hr timeframe?

If you have taken this tour before, what time is the free time that I should make my advance reservations for seeing David?

We did Florence with a private driver who had arranged for tickets for us to see David. The line stretched about a block and half along the building but we walked right up to the front and got in, much to the disgust of the people standing in line. I think you can order tickets online which might save you some of the line time but in the summer from what I have read on the board the line wait can be at least several hours long which would take up most of your free time in Florence.

Good luck and have a great next cruise.

We were just in Florence in June and hired a private guide/driver for the day. We saw so much more than the cruise tour offered and because we had the guide we didn't have to wait in line for anything. I would recommend buying your tickets on line for "David" because the line to get in is huge. We had our guide with us so he just walked us up to the front of the line and we didn't have to wait. "David" is incredible, make sure you have enough time to really see the statue and take it all in, it's one thing I definitely wouldn't miss.

I would check with the museum, as your timed tickets might be good for a range of time- when we went on vacation to Florence, we picked up our timed tickets for the museum and strolled in past the people on line. I am sure that we were early, as usual, and we definitely did not have to wait.

I really hate to say this,and please don't scold me,but..there is more to see in Florence than David especially if you don't get tickets or really have the time.You can see the copy of him out in the piazza,and spend your time seeing all the other things Florence has to offer.You can always make another trip to itlay to catch up on all you may have missed....:D Just MHO.

we did the taste of Florence in june on the millie. really liked it - approx 2.5 hours of walking around the city with a very interesting guide. he leaves you for lunch and on your own activities at around 11:30 at San Croce. if you have timed tickets to museums it shouldn't be a problem at all. we had lunch in a great little restaurant near San Croce, then climbed the Duomo and went shopping...

What time does the Taste of Florence Tour leave the Millennium in Livorno?

We have 12:45 p.m. reservations to see "David"; would the guided walking tour be completed by then and we'd be free to be on our own until the time to meet to reboard the bus for the return trip to the ship?

I posted the following message on another thread. Just so you know, before our cruise I was leery of taking private guides, taxis or trains. I wouldn't have it any other way. I know for certain that we did and saw alot more because we hired a cab than had we taken the excursion. But whichever you decide, it will be wonderful! By the way, the website for the cab company we used is http://www.tuscanybytaxi.it/pages/eng/index.htm

"I would recommend you do a taxi instead of the ship's excursion (you get more time in the city). What we really loved about the taxi we used is that we got to see places we would not have had time to if we were just walking. Our first stop was Piazza Michaelangelo which oversees Florence and the Arno River (a great way to start exploring Florence). Riccardo (the driver) then took us to various sites and gave us a meeting point, got us into the Accademia without reservations and even took us to Pisa on the way back to the ship. We were going to take the train but since they were on strike we had to rely on a cab. Since there were 6 of us traveling, the cost was less per person than the ship's tour. Before going on our trip, I was petrified of us missing the ship, but we made it back with plenty of time. We're already booked for a cruise next year and plan on using private tours or taxis again. I'll try and find the taxi guy's e-mail (I asked him for a card). Whatever you decide, you will have a fabulous time!"

Archived