Wheelchair?

Andoria

My dad's a big guy, I'd laugh if I saw him trying to maneuver the knee scooter.

I mentioned the wheelchair idea and he said "Absolutely not!" So, I have to respect his decision.

Thankfully we don't have to fly.

Just curious, has your dad ever been on a cruise? If not, I doubt if he realizes the amount of walking that's involved, not only at the ports, but even on the ship. Even though he said absolutely not, I'd still try to explain that there's a LOT of walking.

If he gets onboard and realizes it's too much walking for him to do, you MAY be able to rent one from Carnival. They used to have some available for rent - "rent" was really just a $50 deposit that you got back when you turned the chair back in. I've heard they don't do that anymore, but I would imagine that they do have some you could use in an unexpected situation like your dad's.

I would highly recommend renting a wheelchair - there will be a LOT of walking that he probably won't be able to do. My mom is in a wheelchair, and from my experience, Carnival is really good about dealing with wheelchair guests.

I will say, if you rent one, as tempting as it will be, don't rent an electric scooter. Yes, they are really convenient, but unless you have a handicapped room (and I doubt if you do), the electric scooter won't fit through the cabin door. So a manual (push) fold up wheelchair is what you'll need.

Good luck talking your dad into it - if you are successful, he'll thank you for doing it sooner or later!

Have a great cruise!!

Not true about the scooter not fitting thru the cabin door. My wifes scooter fit thru all doors, even the cabin door on all of our cruises.

Not true about the scooter not fitting thru the cabin door. My wifes scooter fit thru all doors, even the cabin door on all of our cruises.

From Carnival's special needs department:

Mobility Scooters: Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your stateroom. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified stateroom or rent a smaller scooter.

http://www.carnival.com/about-carniv...air-users.aspx

So yes, if the scooter is under 21", it will fit through a standard cabin door. But if it's wider than 21", it won't.

Just curious, has your dad ever been on a cruise? If not, I doubt if he realizes the amount of walking that's involved, not only at the ports, but even on the ship. Even though he said absolutely not, I'd still try to explain that there's a LOT of walking.

If he gets onboard and realizes it's too much walking for him to do, you MAY be able to rent one from Carnival. They used to have some available for rent - "rent" was really just a $50 deposit that you got back when you turned the chair back in. I've heard they don't do that anymore, but I would imagine that they do have some you could use in an unexpected situation like your dad's.

My father has been on several cruises. I'll assume since he's made it this far in life that he knows his own limitations. Otherwise it will be lesson learned:)

My father has been on several cruises. I'll assume since he's made it this far in life that he knows his own limitations. Otherwise it will be lesson learned:)

Haha ok, he should know what's involved then. Us men can be stubborn sometimes! :)

Good luck, and hope y'all have a great cruise!

Haha ok, he should know what's involved then. Us men can be stubborn sometimes! :)

You can say that again!!

Thanks, I'm sure we'll have a great cruise. We'll laugh a lot no matter what.

Wow, thank you all for the information. My dad is currently walking around his house without wearing his boot cast... I adore him but he can be very stubborn.

I think we are going to have to wait until we are on the ship to see what he can and cannot do. He still works 50+ hours a week and says he would be perfectly happy just sitting on the balcony drinking cocktails for 8 days:)

Andoria:

You might want to suggest a compromise with your father. Rent the collapsible one to take with you, and if he is able to get around fine without on the ship, he doesn't need to use it. But better to have it with you if he finds that all the walking becomes to much for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First cruise he used his cane, too much for him - lesson learned. Next cruise we surprised him with a rented scooter in his cabin - rent from the folks who work with the cruise lines as their scooters will fit through the cabin door - there were no storage problems in their cabin as they had the little coffee table removed and found they were just fine -- what fun my Dad had on the islands with his scooter - he was everywhere - he zipped along and we chased him for the week, laughing all the time! It was great for the entire family -- would suggest you "surprise" him with it.

First cruise he used his cane, too much for him - lesson learned. Next cruise we surprised him with a rented scooter in his cabin - rent from the folks who work with the cruise lines as their scooters will fit through the cabin door - there were no storage problems in their cabin as they had the little coffee table removed and found they were just fine -- what fun my Dad had on the islands with his scooter - he was everywhere - he zipped along and we chased him for the week, laughing all the time! It was great for the entire family -- would suggest you "surprise" him with it.

That's a good idea BUT I'm sharing my parents' cabin. 3 people and an electric scooter in the room would, I'm guessing, be too crowded.

Yes you can go to your station early then stay at the station after everyone else is taken to the boats. That's why it's important to contact special needs ASAP. They will have a list of who needs special help in case of emergency

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

Andoria:

You might want to suggest a compromise with your father. Rent the collapsible one to take with you, and if he is able to get around fine without on the ship, he doesn't need to use it. But better to have it with you if he finds that all the walking becomes to much for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah tell hime he can push you and that way he will have something to lean on.....LOL

I was hurt on a private excursion on a jet ski. I needed a wheelchair because I broke my foot. We were able to put a $50 deposit on a wheelchair through guest services. When we returned it, we got it refunded. At first I didn't want one but so glad hubby made me use it. They also helped me off the ship with assistance. Sunshine was awesome taking care of me.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

From Carnival's special needs department:

Mobility Scooters: Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your stateroom. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified stateroom or rent a smaller scooter.

http://www.carnival.com/about-carniv...air-users.aspx

So yes, if the scooter is under 21", it will fit through a standard cabin door. But if it's wider than 21", it won't.

The scooters from special needs at sea will fit through cabin door of standard cabin. We always rent from them and stay in standard cabin.