First time cruiser> Formal night?

Mrs.Gosse

Hello! My husband and I are first time cruisers and we will be sailing on the Golden Princess to Alaska on Sept. 6th.

I am curious about the formal night and just would like some general information. I hear people talk about it and have read a few posts about other places being open during that night. Can someone fill me in? Is that when pictures are done too and how does THAT work. We are staying in a full suite if that matters. DH is 47 and was going to wear a tie and dress shirt and pants. Does he HAVE to wear a jacket. I and 35 and I was going to wear a dress from the Bettie Page shop.... probably. It says we will have 2 formal nights...

ANY info will be helpful. Thanks everyone.

Having sailed on Princess, I would suggest that your DH consider a suit, sports jacket and or a Tux. Ladies anything that you would be comfortable wearing to a cocktail party or wedding reception will do. Enjoy your cruise.

A year ago, we were on the Diamond Princess from Beijing to Alaska. I'd had a gorgeous gold Chinese jacket made when I was in China years ago and my friends had taken a Viking river cruise before boarding the ship and got jackets as well. We all wore them on formal night and I have to say we were stunning. Got many compliments.

Pam I'm certain that you posted a photo at some point that showed the jacket you are describing hanging in the closet and I thought to myself how gorgeous it was. I would love to have something like that. I bet it's a headturner when you wear it on formal evenings!

Edited by karatemom2

Another option to consider is rent the tux or suit via the Princess Formal wear provider. That way you don't have to pack anything, you order to your specification so it fits and you leave it on board when you depart the ship. I am going to do this for my 11 day Alaska Voyage in June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On our last cruise, there was a man who was seated near us who wore a solid colored dress shirt without tie nor jacket on all three formal nights. But it seemed that most men I can see in the MDR on those nights seemed to be wearing tuxes or suits.

On the cruise before that (our first and hopefully last time with anytime dining), we had stopped by the anytime dining room to get a pager (on the first formal night we had a 20-minute wait so we figured that was the norm) with the intent to return to our cabin so hubby can change his shirt, and put on a tie and jacket. But instead there wasn't a wait and we were waved in anyway, despite my hubby's casual wear.

So I guess it depends on the "gate keeper" in charge of the MDR dining room admittance.

Just in case you have a maitre'd who is keeping to the formal night guidelines, it'll probably be a good idea for your husband to bring his jacket. He might be able to just put it on his chair.

Or check out the many other options. We don't have a problem with eating in the Horizon Court at all (we actually did half of the 14 nights when we had anytime dining) so if hubby or I don't feel like dressing up, we're fine.

The one time we ate in a specialty restaurant on a cruise, it looked like people at the other tables dressed up a little more than smart casual (not tuxes but not slumming, either).

We don't bother with the formal portraits -- hubby isn't one for waiting in line. So we'll let the photographer take our photo in the dining room or at other times (getting off the ship, etc.) and then see if we like any of them. I believe that you can set up an appointment for casual photos by going to the photography desk, but that info should be in the Patter.

Pam I'm certain that you posted a photo at some point that showed the jacket you are describing hanging in the closet and I thought to myself how gorgeous it was. I would love to have something like that. I bet it's a headturner when you wear it on formal evenings!
My BIL was on the same Viking cruise I'd taken the year before and had one made. I've got a photo of his, not mine. This'll seem a little bizarre but here's a photo of him from his memorial. Mine is similar but feminine. The jacket on the left is his Princeton tux jacket that he usually wore for years on formal nights. Yes, that's orange and much brighter in person. :)

ury7uhy4.jpg

FYI, I think this jacket is still hanging in the closet. :( If anyone's interested, I'll see if it is. :)

Edited by Pam in CA

How?

1. My tux coat is lighter weight than my suit coat or sport coat. It packs tighter. I don't wear a coat on dress casual nights, so don't bring another sport coat.

2. I will have dress shoes anyhow for the evening, and can wear these on formal nights (patent leathers not required). Mine are ballroom dancing shoes.

3. I wear slacks to dinner, and the tuxedo pants are my slacks for 2 of 7 nights

4. Same with the shirt - 1 shirt for 2 of 7 nights, with ship's laundry in between.

5. Studs/cufflinks - < 1 cubic inch of luggage space, can be fitted into any suitcase.

6. Cumberbund /tie. One lies flat, but often these fit in the pockets on the cover of the suitcase, taking very little volume.

So, seeing as one wears the formal night wear for 2 of the 7 nights Alaska cruise (in this case), there is little extra compared with just having clothes for those nights, and the extra does not take up that much luggage space.

And if one wears a suit instead, then #5 and #6 don't apply, and a regular tie lies flat in the suitcase, taking even less room.

Thank You!!!!

That is the perfect answer to those who think a tux takes up so much room!

Thanks again all. I LOVE to dress up so we will not be missing the formal night. My husband usually has no problem wearing a coat so it should be fine. He also likes to dress up from time to time. We are both Chefs so we wear uniforms 10-14 hours a day so we honestly don't get a lot of time in nice clothing. Head straight into work out clothes from work then usually pjs! I noticed a comment about anytime dining not sounding good? I will make a new post but I welcome any opinions about that as well.

We only do anytime. We've had no issues. We'd hate to be tied to Traditional dining. There maybe a wait at popular times

In addition to this, it must be noted that if one is open to shared seating (as opposed to a private table for two) the wait to be seated (even during peak times) is usually very minimal.

Shared seating can be a great way to meet and dine with a variety of fellow passengers. While it is always a gamble that one's table-mates may be pleasant and the conversation good for any given night, it isn't as much of a gamble of having to be committed to the same table-mates for one's entire cruise.

Having done both, the flexibility of anytime dining suits us more, as we are usually port active and not always wanting to be committed to eating in the dining room at the same time for every night of the cruise.

I am glad to know we can ask to be seated with others. I was willing to do that but DH was reluctant. I work out at least 5 days a week and it keeps my schedule up in the air and I forsee it causing us to not be able to go to dinner at the same time so I guess it will be

good to do anytime.

I guess it will be

good to do anytime.

Just keep in mind that ...

Anytime is not always as anytime as one may expect ...:confused:

Lines can be much longer (30-50 minutes) than one expects unless you are dining after 7:15-7:45...

We're traditional ... we like to show up at our dinner time, walk-in, sit right down, order, and eat.

The below trying to get seated ... isn't for us....

12226221414_45ef3af6bc.jpg

2014-01-24_17-28-05_101 by MauiLvrs, on Flickr

Edited by MauiLvrs

Lines can be much longer (30-50 minutes) than one expects unless you are dining after 7:15-7:45...

Perhaps we've just been lucky, but as a couple, we've never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes (for a shared table) when dining at the MDR during peak times (6:00p-7:30p).

Ever.

Often, we are ushered right in or very soon after arriving.

However, we have witnessed passengers who have had a larger party wanting to sit together (or a couple preferring a private table for two) OPTING to wait for a table to be available to suit their needs.

Edited by Skai

On three cruises over the last 6 months on three different ships ... between 6:00-7:00 the anytime dining room was always slammed with a wait with only the one dining room open for anytime.

From 7:15-7:30 not so much luck ... 6:00-7:00 seems you have been lucky.

On three cruises over the last 6 months on three different ships ... between 6:00-7:00 the anytime dining room was always slammed with a wait with only the one dining room open for anytime.

From 7:15-7:30 not so much luck ... 6:00-7:00 seems you have been lucky.

Interesting.

I'm just relating my own personal previous experiences.

In fact, the only time that I recall queuing up and having to wait in line to be seated, was the one time that the DW and I did have traditional seating.

However, that may have been a unique circumstance as we were sailing on a small-ship and traditional seating was the only option available.

With everyone showing up to the MDR for their assigned (first seating) dining time at once, it actually required waiting in a steadily moving line for us to eventually be seated at our table.

Edited by Skai

Two comments....first, I use a rolling garment bag which is not huge and can easily carry my tux. In fact, in the tropics, I'll carry my full tux and my dinner jacket-I alternate jackets that way. In climes not tropical I will usually carry a blazer with my tux. It is not difficult to pack and carry all of this.

Second, I think formal nights are special. Dressing up makes a big difference. I have had many a pretty woman tell me how handsome I look in my tux. FWIW ;)

We're traditional ... we like to show up at our dinner time, walk-in, sit right down, order, and eat.

The below trying to get seated ... isn't for us....

12226221414_45ef3af6bc.jpg

2014-01-24_17-28-05_101 by MauiLvrs, on Flickr

Our one time at anytime we ended up just going to the Horizon half of the dinners. As I said before, we did have a wait on the first formal night of about 20 minutes. And my hubby tends to be impatient when standing in line. Plus he said he felt rushed by the waitstaff and never felt that way with traditional. And more than once, we were seated with other diners who had already placed their orders, so that made the service a bit awkward.

After our cruise, my hubby said he felt traditional dining just feels more special -- we can basically do "anytime" by going to restaurants back home.

But if we know that we're going to eat at 8pm, we can plan a mid-afternoon nosh to tie us over at just the right time. We don't have to make phone calls to try to get a specific time (I would hate that -- and doesn't that contradict the idea of just going to the dining room when you feel like eating?).

So it's nice that those who want the flexible dining can get it as long as those of us who like the "old style" traditional with the same waitstaff can get our preference too.

And my hubby tends to be impatient when standing in line. Plus he said he felt rushed by the waitstaff and never felt that way with traditional. And more than once' date=' we were seated with other diners who had already placed their orders, so that made the service a bit awkward. [/quote']

DW's Hubby feels the same ;) :D

Hello! My husband and I are first time cruisers and we will be sailing on the Golden Princess to Alaska on Sept. 6th.

I am curious about the formal night and just would like some general information. I hear people talk about it and have read a few posts about other places being open during that night. Can someone fill me in? Is that when pictures are done too and how does THAT work. We are staying in a full suite if that matters. DH is 47 and was going to wear a tie and dress shirt and pants. Does he HAVE to wear a jacket. I and 35 and I was going to wear a dress from the Bettie Page shop.... probably. It says we will have 2 formal nights...

ANY info will be helpful. Thanks everyone.

OP -- I will relate my experiences on the last five Princess cruises. Maybe it will help you decide how you want to handle your situation.

I cruise NCL a lot, and don't care to dress up, so I did not take a coat or tie on my Princess cruises. My thought was to skip the MDR formal nights and use the buffet or specialty restaurant on those nights.

I was encourages by some of the waitstaff to go to the MDR on formal nights with a long sleeve shirt and slacks. I did that and enjoyed the meal. I wasn't questioned nor turned away.

Keep in mind that some of the Maitre D's may not accept this type of attire, but I felt I would not lose anything if I was turned away -- which I wasn't.

If your DH goes with what is comfortable to him, and accepts that he may be turned away, it may help you both to decide what approach you want to take to this dress question.

Hope this helps you decide.

• 3 months later...
This has been my experience too and I have never been turned away on formal nights. Even wore the same shirt and tie on a 20 night Princess Diamond cruise. People keep trying to make formal night sound like it is some big special night of gala balls. I see nothing special about it and the atmosphere is nothing out of the ordinary either. The menus do not even really look that special to me. I am not a big believer in clothes make you anything special. I think it is basically to sell more photos! :rolleyes:;):cool:

There is a destination that Princess covers very well that we are considering for a future cruise. Threads on the Princess section of CC around formal nights always scare me away from this brand. Having sailed only on casual dress cruise lines, we have never cared what others have been wearing while eating a meal. Clearly, that does not fit the Princess model for some.

It's nice to read that business casual is fine on these nights in the specialty restaurants and buffet. No issue staying away from the MDR on formal nights. On a typical cruise, we only eat in the MDR a few evenings anyway.

The atmosphere of formal nights has definitely changed over the years. Our recent cruise seemed too casual. Luggage space really isn't the issue. You can always wear a sports jacket on the plane. If you hate to wear a jacket, go to an alternate dining venue or go to NCL. Don't try to turn a Princess cruise into another night at Denny's or the bowling alley. A cruise is supposed to be special.

The atmosphere of formal nights has definitely changed over the years. Our recent cruise seemed too casual. Luggage space really isn't the issue. You can always wear a sports jacket on the plane. If you hate to wear a jacket, go to an alternate dining venue or go to NCL. Don't try to turn a Princess cruise into another night at Denny's or the bowling alley. A cruise is supposed to be special.

We usually don't dress up for dining but on Princess just a dress shirt & dress pants will do nicely on formal evenings but don't let that deter you from dressing formally so you'll feel special on those nights. A cruise is special to each person in their own way.

This will be our first cruise and there are lots of stuffs we don't know. Since it is a 7 nites cruise, our TA told us there will be 2 formal dinings. We also choose traditional dining over anytime dining.

1) How do we know which night is formal night?

2) Is formal dining time same time as our traditional dining time?

It is nice to be able to dress up once in awhile and a good excuse to buy some new clothes..:p