***the old days...1979...vancouver...

Yes, that episode took me back, too.

My dad used to work for the CPR (ships) and his ship(s) would often dock at that pier. I would often go down to meet him and hang out with him 'till he had to leave again.

The pier at which you see the ship docked was called Pier B-C. Pier B was the west side and C the east. The ship is actually tied up at pier C. There was a pier west of B-C called, oddly, pier A and to the east their was pier D.

Pier D burned down long ago (my father's ship was tied up to C when that happened, very nasty fire). Pier A was the dock for the ship(s) that went from Vancouver to Nanaimo.

He was on the Princess Patricia (a CPR vessel) that was hired to sail from Long Beach to Acapulco. It was that ship after which the "Princess" in Princess Cruises took its name.

Trivia

Edited by Mr_Astro
clarity

I just found while cleaning out a bedroom today a brand new unworn Sweatshirt that says "Love Boat"..I always loved the music playing when pulling away from the dock--so this sweatshirt is too large for me--so going to wash it & see if it will shrink up a bit & I think I will take it with me to wear on our cruise in Sept this year. (if it gets cold).:eek:

• 4 months later...

I was looking back at what I missed this summer and tripped on this thread....the Love Boat episode was posted on another thread so I had seen it. But it does bring back memories of walking down to the CP pier at lunch time. Sometimes I would accidently meet my father down there and we would look at the ships together. I can remember going down there on one occasion and seeing the Royal Yacht Britannia tied up there as well as whole host of ocean liners over the years.

But to the Love Boat episode...the band was the North Vancouver Schools Band and the drum major had been the drum major of our Sea Cadet band. He was the perennial drum major of the schools band and I would guess he was about 32 years old when this was shot.

If you look closely there are two scenes of the ship allegedly leaving Vancouver...the first had to have been shot in English Bay and the second when she is approaching the Lions Gate bridge...she is not leaving she is arriving...Prospect Point is to starboard.