Experience with "Do Not Upgrade"?

BlueRiband

Has anyone here had their stateroom "upgraded" despite requesting "Do Not Upgrade"? Although I know that I can be moved for operational reasons, is this generally respected? I would hate to lose carefully selected starboard EB, port WB, and bed facing forward staterooms. (What's the point of booking early if one cannot secure an exact location?)

This has not happened to us when we did not want an upgrade. The "no upgrade" flag is respected as the whole point of selecting a stateroom is that you get the exact one you want in a location that suits.

Have you had an experience to the contrary?

Eddie

This has not happened to us when we did not want an upgrade. The "no upgrade" flag is respected as the whole point of selecting a stateroom is that you get the exact one you want in a location that suits.

Have you had an experience to the contrary?

Eddie

Not personally as I have been open to upgrades in the past. For this voyage however I really want the sun exposure and an upgrade could put me on the opposite side of the ship.

Last year or so there was a post by Jimsgirl who was almost forced out of her carefully selected - one year in advance - large inside stateroom. If I recall the details correctly a couple traveling with a baby went to the purser and demanded a trade. They argued that they paid more for their ocean view, she was alone, and therefore they were entitled to the larger room.

Upgrades are great, but you have to make sure you want what you might be upgraded to. If you have a carefully selected a midships cabin and you're upgraded to a cabin which is extremely aft or fore, it might not be favorable, particularly during months inclined to bad weather.

Edited by Tess of the Sea

Has anyone here had their stateroom "upgraded" despite requesting "Do Not Upgrade"? Although I know that I can be moved for operational reasons, is this generally respected? I would hate to lose carefully selected starboard EB, port WB, and bed facing forward staterooms. (What's the point of booking early if one cannot secure an exact location?)

I'm not sure if this happens usually, but you might just make sure you have "Do Not Upgrade" on your booking by asking again. The sales agent may have forgotten to input that information.

My bil and sil had no upgrade on their chosen cabin,last year Jan. They were asked if they would like an upgrade to princess about a month before sailing chose to look at the cabin it was very suitable, so chose it. Then a bit later they were asked again upgrade to Queens grill once again they looked and chose. Mind you when they booked they paid top dollar britannia grade. They had researched well so when given the choice knew if it was what they wanted

They loved it I personally like to choose my cabin and so empathically say no upgrade. Also don't want the dilemma :eek:

Last year or so there was a post by Jimsgirl who was almost forced out of her carefully selected - one year in advance - large inside stateroom. If I recall the details correctly a couple traveling with a baby went to the purser and demanded a trade. They argued that they paid more for their ocean view, she was alone, and therefore they were entitled to the larger room.

Who from Cunard told them ( The Threesom) . Talk about an invasion of privacy .

Even if they found out from spying on the person , the Purser should

have told them to get of the ship at the next Port .

In my humble opinion of course . ;)

People I met on a previous voyage had booked an obstructed balcony room with no upgrade. When they later discovered they had been given an upgrade, they complained and fought to get back to the room they had booked. They liked the location and preferred a view below them of a lifeboat to an unknown location. It took a little effort but they were returned to the room they had booked.

The message therefore is to say no upgrade (as you have) and then to check any emails carefully before embarking, just to see if the room number has been changed. You should be able to check it in voyage personaliser. I think it's worth the extra effort. If you discover it before leaving, you can kick up a fuss. If you discover it on the ship, it could be too late to do anything as someone may already have moved into your room before you arrive at the ship.

I've always chosen the cabin and WANT that cabin so my bookings are marked No Upgrade and it's never been a problem. It's not an upgrade if it doesn't suit you despite what Cunard thinks.

Yes John, Jimsgirl's experience was the one which I recalled - although a forced mid-voyage change is unusual. (Once she refused to be moved I can imagine the Cunard lawyers cringing at the bad press of disembarking a "very senior lady" because she was "being difficult".) The more typical "upgrade" takes place long before embarkation day and several posters have reported it difficult to impossible to get their original stateroom back.

I wouldn't outright reject an upgrade but only if it was on the same side of the ship as booked. But if morning sunrise at sea is important to me then "do not upgrade" is the only way to have some reasonable assurance my location will stay that way.

BlueRiband,

I do understand your concern. I have read several threads on the boards for other lines here where passengers have been upgraded automatically even though they specifically stated "do not upgrade" when they made their bookings. In one case there was apparently a glitch in another line's reservation system where any modification made to an existing booking would cause the "do not upgrade" request to be lost.

I am glad to see based on the feedback you have received so far that occurrences of being upgraded despite requesting "do not upgrade" appear to be infrequent with Cunard.

Regards,

John.

Edited by bluemarble

• 2 months later...

We booked our 4th July cruise on Queen Elizabeth back in February and selected a midships Britannia Balcony Stateroom Deck 6. It was a quiet cabin with a corner balcony so requested "No Upgrade". However today when looking at our Voyage Personaliser our stateroom number had changed to a P1 Princess Grill. Very happy and can't complain considering the benefits., but was amazed considering we requested no Upgrade.

We booked our 4th July cruise on Queen Elizabeth back in February and selected a midships Britannia Balcony Stateroom Deck 6. It was a quiet cabin with a corner balcony so requested "No Upgrade". However today when looking at our Voyage Personaliser our stateroom number had changed to a P1 Princess Grill. Very happy and can't complain considering the benefits., but was amazed considering we requested no Upgrade.

That's what has me concerned. Booking 14 months in advance is supposed to give one stateroom choice - as in selecting the starboard (sunny) side of the ship on an EB TA. I wouldn't consider an upgrade to the port side to be an upgrade. If I'm not going to have stateroom preference what's the point in booking that early? I could just take my chances with a guarantee for less money.

I think the problem lies with the fact that you have to tell the cunard rep verbally and then rely on the fact that they've done it! We have said 'no upgrade' for our next trip and although I know I told them, I've got nothing in writing to confirm it. It doesn't mention it on the confirmation emails and I haven't spotted it in the VP.

What would happen if you were upgraded and when you complained, they said 'you never requested no upgrade'? :eek: Imagine how difficult it would be to prove it!

Where do we make our preference online for "no upgrade"? I told the cunard rep when booking but no clue if they noted it. I have a deck 5 midship sheltered balcony for a fall TA which I want to keep.

Debbie

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Where do we make our preference online for "no upgrade"? I told the cunard rep when booking but no clue if they noted it. I have a deck 5 midship sheltered balcony for a fall TA which I want to keep...

There's no way to do this on line. One has to call Cunard - or have their TA call Cunard - and ask that the reservation be marked "do not upgrade". Try calling again and hopefully you'll get an agent who has a clue.