YTD vs. set dining....pros and cons

Cfiske

We have always done set time late seating dining and enjoyed having the same waiter, same table. In August we are doing YTD because many times around 7 we are ready to eat but had to wait till 8. the early set dining was too early for us. I think we are going to like being able to eat on our time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So glad to hear people's opinions on this.

My first and only cruise was before the time of YTD. My friend and I had great table mates.

My husband and I are cruising in October for our anniversary, so we definitely want tables for 2 (and he is not too keen on eating with others). I initially signed us up for the late seating but I might change to YTD. Sounds like it might be a better fit for us!

We are in the minority! we usually get a small table assigned with late traditional and we have to change this first day to a bigger table:)

We usually do longer cruises and even the worst table guests are at times very enjoyable! I heard this comment from one couple to another 2 couples on our table when they though I was out of range:D:D:D lol

We are in the minority! we usually get a small table assigned with late traditional and we have to change this first day to a bigger table:)

We usually do longer cruises and even the worst table guests are at times very enjoyable! I heard this comment from one couple to another 2 couples on our table when they though I was out of range:D:D:D lol

Ha! Too funny :)

I actually enjoyed our large table when I cruised. It was a great mix of people.

Truthfully, I'm doing it more for his sake than mine, as he is definitely shy and will clam up (plus, he looked terrified when I told him there was a chance we could be sitting at a large table!)

We had set dining on our first cruise in 2005. We enjoyed it cause we were with another couple ( their first cruise as well ).

We've done YTD and set dining on different cruise's - we prefer YTD.

With YTD - on "Port" days if your excursion happens to run late and if you are on a

"Set Dining", you might feel rushed once you get back on board and/or you need to make other arrangements like going to the buffet. ( This happened to us on our 2005 cruise ).

The flexibility of YTD on Port / Sea days is more relaxing IMO.

We had set dining on our first cruise in 2005. We enjoyed it cause we were with another couple ( their first cruise as well ).

We've done YTD and set dining on different cruise's - we prefer YTD.

With YTD - on "Port" days if your excursion happens to run late and if you are on a

"Set Dining", you might feel rushed once you get back on board and/or you need to make other arrangements like going to the buffet. ( This happened to us on our 2005 cruise ).

The flexibility of YTD on Port / Sea days is more relaxing IMO.

So what is the latest you have arrived at YTD?

When I did YTD the latest you could arrive was 8.30ish as the dinning room closed at 10.30 and with Trad we quite often dont get to the table until after 8.15

In my opinion (and this is only my opinion, folks), there are no pros to the set dining time. Now that I have an option, I would never choose the set time again.

With your time, you're not on a schedule. You can dine when you're hungry, and not worry about going too early or too late. When I'm on vacation, I don't want to have to eat and be ready to eat at the same time every day.

This is exactly the way we feel! I would never go with a set dining time again;)

I have done Freestyle on NCL and set time on Carnival. I prefer the set time. I have never missed a show I wanted to see. In fact it was easier to make the show considering I had to get out of the dining room before the next seating and thus made the show. When we did the freestyle it was hit and miss for service and we had to wait to be seated a few times. With the set dining. .. after the first night just go in and head to your table. But everyone is different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Having done both ways. I prefer YTD. Just because of ports of call.. If you had great waiters and great table mates then standard dining is better. However, that doesn't always happen. Standard is walk in and sit period. On nights like formal nights when line is long standard would be easier. I still cant seem to go back to,it though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I did YTD the latest you could arrive was 8.30ish as the dinning room closed at 10.30 and with Trad we quite often dont get to the table until after 8.15

We arrived at the Main Dining Room around 5:15 - 5:30pm for YTD, the most we had to wait was approx. 5 - 10 minutes but there was also times we were taken to a table right away.

We arrived at the Main Dining Room around 5:15 - 5:30pm for YTD, the most we had to wait was approx. 5 - 10 minutes but there was also times we were taken to a table right away.

So the advantages are a bit less for those who like to dine late because late YTD is not much different to late MDR dinning re time.

The one time I did YTD if we were later than 8.30 the staff were already packing up around us and it was uncomfortable, same as breakfast and lunch in MDR when you turn up a bit latter! Brunch may have cured the breakfast thing in MDR though?

I like late dining. I enjoy sitting at a big table with tablemates. The wait staff gets to know your preferences. It seems to make it different and more special than eating out at home. It doesn't bother me to have to be there at a set time because I'm used to schedule and routine. I have plenty of time after ports to shower, change, take pictures, get a drink and people watch. Plus, shows are scheduled around set dining and not having to put too much thought into what time to go to dinner reduces stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So glad to hear people's opinions on this.

My first and only cruise was before the time of YTD. My friend and I had great table mates.

My husband and I are cruising in October for our anniversary, so we definitely want tables for 2 (and he is not too keen on eating with others). I initially signed us up for the late seating but I might change to YTD. Sounds like it might be a better fit for us!

Just be aware that the tables for two at YTD are typically very, very close to each other. More like a table for four than two.

Edited by Fla Senior

We did not like the table for two arrangement on princess. We were elbow to elbow with the other table for two next to us. So your not sitting with these people, but you're not really sitting alone either. I just found it awkward. As a couple, we actually enjoyed it the most when we were sharing a table with random other people for just that meal, but not a set dining thing.

I think I would prefer set dining when traveling with an extended group, but anytime dining for just a pair that will likely be together most of the time anyways or just our family. There is a sort of freedom in not being expected at dinner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

We've always done the traditional late seating except for the several times we've cruised on NCL, which is all YTD in the MDR. The DH and I do not like YTD for lots of reasons; mainly because you usually have to wait to be seated and on NCL we've waited for as long as 45 mins., especially on formal nights. We like traditional late time dining because we don't have to worry about rushing back from our excursions to get ready to eat at an earlier time. If we get hungry before our set dinner time, we just grab something from the buffet or order a snack from room service. We like sitting at the same table with the same table mates for the duration of the cruise. We've enjoyed making new friends at dinner and have kept in touch with many of them over the years and have even had them visit us at our home. Yes, you can have the same wait staff in YTD if you ask for them, but if they are busy you'll have to wait to be seated in their service area. With traditional dining you get the same wait staff all the time and don't have to wait to be seated. For us, traditional seating is the way to go for our enjoyment of our MDR dinners.

Edited by mousey

I like late dining. I enjoy sitting at a big table with tablemates. The wait staff gets to know your preferences. It seems to make it different and more special than eating out at home. It doesn't bother me to have to be there at a set time because I'm used to schedule and routine. I have plenty of time after ports to shower, change, take pictures, get a drink and people watch. Plus, shows are scheduled around set dining and not having to put too much thought into what time to go to dinner reduces stress.

you are aware that with YTD, you can enjoy a big table with tablemates and have the same wait staff who gets to know your preferences.

Edited by hftmrock

We did 8:15pm dining on our first cruise as we were with friends and that is their preference. We felt like we were falling asleep or ready to go to our cabin right after dinner after eating so late.

We tried YTD on the Breeze last year and waited in a long line every night, no matter what time we went. Then when we got our table for "2", it was really part of a section of tables very close together and had to wait for everyone in the section to finish each coarse before our next one would come. Each night dinner was nearly a 2 hour process.

We really enjoy 6pm dining and have had a table with others, tables for just us and a wonderful booth for 2 on our recent Sunshine cruise. Our team had us in and out in just under an hour every night (but we didn't have dessert).

The first cruise my husband and I ever went on was on Carnival when all dining times were set and tables were assigned. We disliked the experience and found that the flexibility and ease of NCL's Freestyle was a much better fit for us. (Plus it was the only way I could get my husband to agree to try another cruise!)

Last summer, my mother, sister, niece, and I cruised out of Boston to Canada on the Carnival Glory and had a fantastic time. The YTD was a huge part of our positive experience. We loved being able to eat whenever we wanted to, but best of all, we discovered that we could request the same wait staff each night. (A big cheer and shout out to Gusti, Wayan, and Martin who made each and every meal special and fun for all of us - especially my mom who had never cruised before. They were fantastic and always went above and beyond to accommodate us.)

One big reason we've stuck with NCL over the years is the Freestyle Dining. But having experienced Carnival's YTD option, I think that it is a wonderful balance between NCL's Freestyle and the traditional set time and assigned table my husband and I previously experienced on Carnival several years ago. The YTD is flexible, intimate, and personal. It is one big reason for me to consider cruising on Carnival again in the near future!

Just be aware that the tables for two at YTD are typically very, very close to each other. More like a table for four than two.

Thanks for the heads up. My husband and I will definitely need to discuss!:)

We have only done late assigned so far. First cruise we were sat with a group. At first I wasn't happy because we were sat with people that were a bit older than us but ended up having a blast. We really loved meeting new people, even my very quite and shy husband loved it. The next cruise we were with a group of 8 so that was the table. We LOVED our wait staff. We are trying YTD on our next cruise but have been nervous because my husband has sever food allergy and have liked the fact that our wait staff has looked out for him. We will be asking for the same wait staff (assuming we like them) so we don't have to explain it every night. I think we will like the flexibility of YTD.

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

Edited by Remus2010

you are aware that with YTD, you can enjoy a big table with tablemates and have the same wait staff who gets to know your preferences.

I like sitting at a big table with the same tablemates.

We will always do YTD! Having the flexibility to eat as early as late as we want is the main reason we like it. Plus we can still get the social aspect since we usually request to be seated with others, and you get to meet new people each night if you choose to. At the same time, we might want to have a dinner for just the two of us one night and we have that option as well. Since we normally ask to be seated with others though we rarely have to wait longer than 5 minutes.

Can anybody tell me if the waiters still do the dances and such with YTD like they do with the traditional set times? I sincerely apologize if this question has already been answered somewhere else and I missed it.

On my next couple cruises, the times are listed as;

Dining Time:Your Time 5:45-9:30