Formal nights 7 day cruise

Does anyone know which nights are formal nights on a 7 day cruise. We

are going on the Freedom next year. A little premature to ask but we were

wondering if it's standard for all 7 day cruises.

My SIL has cruised in the past, but never a 7 day cruise. She thought

that maybe the AT SEA days are the formal nights.

We were just trying to get an idea, didn't know if RCCL keeps the days

the same for all 7 day cruises.

Thanks !!!

my upcoming 7 day cruise sea days are the first full day and the last full day. they would never have the last night the formal night as people have to pack and put their luggage in the hall, therefore formal night and the last night would not work well together.

that said, the 2nd night and the 2nd to last night are typically the formal nights, and often are sea days, but may not be.

On a 7-night cruise there are TWO formal nights, ONE "smart casual night" and the rest are casual nights. These are RCCL's guidelines:

Casual Nights

Men - Sport Shirt and Slacks

Women - Pantsuit, Skirt and Blouse or Casual Dress

Smart-Casual Nights

Men - Jacket, Shirt and Tie

Women - Suit or Dress

Formal Nights

Men - Tuxedos or Suit and Tie

Women - Evening Gown or Cocktail Dress

Note: Evening attire is subject to change and may vary by ship. Weather or itinerary changes may alter this schedule.

Most of our party (from a "small" town) were indicating the other night that they would either skip the formal nights or show up in jeans or Dockers and polo shirts (at least they're not planning on cut-off jeans and cowboy hats, like we saw on one cruise :D ). The more I think about it, the more tempting it is to rent a tux at home for the week before we leave -- just to show off a bit to people who do not understand "the cruise culture" how much fun it can be to "fit in" with the others who revel in dressing up a bit and "pretending" for a night or two that we are the "royalty" that we wish we could be :rolleyes: . My job does not give me much of an opportunity to dress in much better than jeans or shorts (or I'll simply ruin some nice clothes), so I love formal nights on a cruise -- where I get to get a bit "gussied up" for a change.

I've got the 2 formal nights covered, but I'm having problems with casual and smart casual...Casual Nights

Women - Pantsuit, Skirt and Blouse or Casual Dress

I have no pantsuits, winter skirts and no casual dresses.

Smart-Casual Nights

Women - Suit or Dress - I don't own any suits

I don't own a suit -- might be able to dig up a dress.

Ugh. Why do I get the impression that I'm going to either be (a) ridiculed for wearing dockers and a sweater or (b) eating a Windjammer a lot?

Most of our party (from a "small" town) were indicating the other night that they would either skip the formal nights or show up in jeans or Dockers and polo shirts (at least they're not planning on cut-off jeans and cowboy hats, like we saw on one cruise :D ). The more I think about it, the more tempting it is to rent a tux at home for the week before we leave -- just to show off a bit to people who do not understand "the cruise culture" how much fun it can be to "fit in" with the others who revel in dressing up a bit and "pretending" for a night or two that we are the "royalty" that we wish we could be :rolleyes: . My job does not give me much of an opportunity to dress in much better than jeans or shorts (or I'll simply ruin some nice clothes), so I love formal nights on a cruise -- where I get to get a bit "gussied up" for a change.

I posted another question also about renting tuxes on the ship. I received very positive responses that you could do this. Cost is 85 and 12 for shoes.

Wasn't sure if you knew. Also comes with 2 shirts as there are 2 formal nights. Cheaper then renting from home and keeping for a week.

Sweetangel, honestly, from what I have read, the "smart casual" and "casual" nights are very similar on many ships, and in fact some don't even officially list "smart casual" at all (even though the official site still lists it).

I wouldn't think TWICE about wearing nice pants and a sweater on "smart casual" night, if that is what you have. Go, eat in the dining room, don't feel like Windjammers is your only option. I'm sure there will be similarly attired ladies in the room that night. :)

You know what Ella2? You're absolutely right. I'm wayyy overthinking this. On the disney cruise, dockers and a nice sweater were fine. I'm sure there will be those dressed more casually than I am.

Thanks for the reality check. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Don't the serve the same food in Windjammers as they do in the dining room though? Thought I read that somewhere...

jerzygrl,

We just got back from the Navigator, 7 day Western Car., and we had 2 formal nights. One was the 2nd day (Sun., at sea day) and the other was on a Wed., which was our day at Grand Cayman.

My SIL who sailed on the Navigator last Nov., had her 2 formal nights on At Sea days... so it could change.

sweet angel,

The Windjammer does serve just about the same food as the dining room (although they did not have shrimp cocktail, nor did they have ceasar salads at the WJ). We ended up eating at the WJ 6 out of the 7 nights, due to the fact that it was more flexible for our schedule and also at our table in the Dining Room, not one couple spoke the same language. Bit of a language barrier!

We still dressed up for the formal nights after eating at the WJ, and felt this was better for us. We posed for the pictures and it was nice being dressed up for the shows. We were also able to sit at our own table at the WJ and have a nice leisurely dinner without feeling we had to try to communicate with the other couples who spoke only french, turkey and portuguese.

Don't worry about anything... just enjoy your cruise. Everyone is so busy enjoying themselves, that they really do not notice anyone else. :) And anyways, do you really care what other people think? Just have fun - you will enjoy your vacation that much more!!!

Jerzy:

I saw your other thread -- renting on board now sounds VERY tempting, since I doubt I can get a tux for a week elsewhere for much less. I've put on a few (understatement) pounds since I could last wear my 3-piece suit, which was fun to put on for formal nights. I'd love to get a really nice picture of Kathy and me in truly formal wear to give to my parents and her mom.

So does anyone one know which nights are formal nights for Rhapsody of the seas??? I'm pretty sure the first is the 2 night, but when is the second on this ship since each ship seems to be a little different?

Kerrie

In March the second formal night was the night we were in Grand Cayman. This was Thursday. It was a short port day, we had 1st seating and had no trouble getting ready. You are right about the 1st formal night. The other nights were casual with no smart casual nights.

- Renting on board now sounds VERY tempting, since I doubt I can get a tux for a week elsewhere for much less.

If you have a chance, look into buying one. I've seen them for as little as $99 in places like Syms. If you can get a good deal and intend to do even infrequent cruising, it's worth it - as long as you don't put on a lot more of those pounds and lock yourself out.:D Why just give the money away for a rental. Last time I put mine in a plastic cleaners bag on top of the case (inside) and it was in great shape when I took it out. Even if it's not, it will only cost you a few $ to get the jacket pressed on board. I'm not wild about taking the tux, but I figure if I have to bring a suit anyhow, take this instead. Good luck.

Archived