Why it pays to keep checking Fare Viewer!

Le Cruiser

I tried to use if for my carnival spirit cruise but it wouldn't allow me to put in a cruise date. I suspect it is only for those from the USA as the states seem to be all USA. Another perk that us Aussies miss out on.

Could someone please tell me what is a PVP? I assume perhaps a travel agent.

Hi Tara - sorry if you're not able to get the "US rate drops" but hey, you're still going on a cruise!!! A PVP is a Carnival Personal Vacation Planner, sort of like a travel agent but someone who works for Carnival. We've had our current one for about 5 years now, and he's always available when we have a question - cabin location, rate drops, booking our cruises. You can keep working with one specific PVP if you like them. We stopped booking online since we started working with a PVP, much easier and more personal. We exchange Christmas cards with ours!

Thank you so much for the explanation. Never heard of a PVP and I doubt that we have them down under. Sounds like a wonderful idea to have someone specifically able to assist with bookings etc.

Yes I am very happy that I am going on a cruise, it just would be nice to save a bit of $ so that I could go on more. I like to travel cheap so I can do more of it.

So you mean to tell me if your rate drops or there's a special running for your particular sailing all you have to do is call your PVP and they will give you the promotional???

Me

CruiseFan3035 - we call our PVP to see if the special/reduction applies to us (sometimes they don't), and if they DO apply to us, our PVP takes care of it for us, rather than us submitting the eform to get the rate. We've had the same PVP for 6 cruises now and have a great relationship with him. But I think you should always ask if you have a question or you're not sure, it's a toll-free number so all it costs you is your time, and you might wind up saving some money. Good luck!

I had a VERY rare experience when I booked my 4-interior-cabins Graduation Cruise! We did not book early saver because we were two months out, but I noticed about a week after we booked, the rates went way down, so I called my PVP (who I have booked 5 cruises through now) said that he couldn't give me OBC or price reduction because it wasn't early saver, but he was able upgrade 3/4 rooms to ocean view for no additional cost! Well THEN I informed him that our party consisted of four 17 year olds, three 18 year olds, and three adult parents. So the adults had to be within a certain distance from the minors. And there were no more interiors available on that floor. SO HE UPGRADED THE FOURTH ROOM TOO!

Never gotten an upgrade or upsell call and all I was expecting was like $50 OBC per room but we got such a better deal.

Never hurts to call your PVP and see what's available!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by squakittymaus

I've got a question about the OBC. Say like the one person has $1200 of it what happens if you do use up all of the OBC. Do they refund it or do you just lose it. We don't spend a ton on cruises and I haven't ever looked into the prices that much but now I will so just wondering. Thanks

When I go on FareViewer it says my cruise is $50 cheaper but called Carnival and they said they can't see the reduced fare. When I did mock booking it showed the same price or slightly more than I paid. Don't understand where the price is coming from on fare viewer.:confused:

How do you know what promotional fare you are booked under? Does it say it somewhere on your cruise documents?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Good question!

I booked with a travel agency and the promotional fare was ONLY on the very first "informational" type email from them.

It has not been on any of the actual invoices!

It is really hard to tell looking at the paperwork (or impossible).

If you didn't note it at the time of booking, you will probably have to call your agent or Carnival to see.

I'm really happy I posted my good fortune, especially since it seems to have helped some other cruisers out! And to those who are like us and check the rates often, great job!!! OCB is the best!

Some people have also been doing what we do (again, OUR choice/preference) - always booking Early Saver. Yes, the deposit is more and it's non-refundable, but we book almost a year out so we have PLENTY of time to pay the cruise off, plus we get any fare reductions that occur. I hope everyone else gets the same luck we've had, it's nice seeing people save some money while still having a great cruise. :)

THis is my first experience with Carnival and I am so happy I booked Early Saver!

Le Cruiser, I see you have lots of Carnival cruises under your belt and you must have enjoyed some ES benefits.

Can you tell me where the OBC is "noted" on the cruise documents? I am looking online at the general info, print documents section. I can see my invoice with the price drop price, but I don' t see any written reflection of the OBC.

THis is my first experience with Carnival and I am so happy I booked Early Saver!

Le Cruiser, I see you have lots of Carnival cruises under your belt and you must have enjoyed some ES benefits.

Can you tell me where the OBC is "noted" on the cruise documents? I am looking online at the general info, print documents section. I can see my invoice with the price drop price, but I don' t see any written reflection of the OBC.

If you look in your in Booking Summary document on the 2nd page, under the Itemized Charges section you'll see another "block" that contains any On Board Credit information. Also, on the My Cruise Manager page on the site, any OBC should show up directly under any Administrative Fees - but it's termed "Fees & Credits", which is sort of confusing.

We always book Early Saver because it not only gives us plenty of time to pay off our cruises, but really provides the opportunity to catch some price reductions. Glad you did the same!