Solo Cruise: Assigned Dining vs. Your Time Dining?

fofita01

I've traveled solo many times and only ONCE did I do YTD. I hated it. I sat by myself between two couples EVERY night - chatted them up but would rather have sat at a table to meet more people. I always do early dining cruising solo or with someone.

My experience...

I normally do late dining, but I booked my first B2B for October 2012 on Fantasy. I was solo for Leg 1 (5 nights) and had a friend joining me for Leg 2 (7 nights) plus DD & her new hubby were sailing for their honeymoon.

I decided I'd try YTD for Leg 1 as a solo. I'm not very outgoing but think the ability to make small talk is a very useful skill and find dining with strangers is the perfect opportunity to work on that skill.

So, first night, I asked to be seated at a large table. Was seated at a 10-top. On my left were two young couples (not together); on my right was a middle-aged couple, and on their right were two sisters or female friends travelling together.

Basically, NO ONE SPOKE TO ANYONE ELSE. I think the women might have engaged me in conversation but didn't want to shout across the table. I tried to start a few conversations and got only 1-word responses. It was pretty much a disaster and being the first night, the service was slow so it was pretty agonizing.

After that, I asked to be seated alone and enjoyed myself very much. I really like to people watch and also like to watch the servers do their jobs. They're pretty amazing when you have the time to focus on them.

Leg 2, we had late dining and had a wonderful assistant server who pretty much totally handled out table.

I sailed Fantasy again last May as a solo. I emailed the Maitre'd and asked if my servers were still there and could I please have a table for two and that request was accomodated.

People at the 10-top next to me asked me to join them a couple of nights since not everyone showed up, but I politely declined.

Just because I'm alone doesn't mean I'm lonely and miserable! I appreciate the thought, but I rather like my solitude. And the personalized attention I receive.

Last cruise, on Conquest, there were 4 solo cruisers, 2 male, 2 female at a rectangular 8-top. One guy was pretty difficult to tolerate but the other guy and the woman were cool. She and I are now FB friends and talking about sailing together.

Sailing solo in just over a week. There are other solo females in our Roll Call and we're talking about sitting together, but if not, I'll probably request my own table.

My experience...

I normally do late dining, but I booked my first B2B for October 2012 on Fantasy. I was solo for Leg 1 (5 nights) and had a friend joining me for Leg 2 (7 nights) plus DD & her new hubby were sailing for their honeymoon.

I decided I'd try YTD for Leg 1 as a solo. I'm not very outgoing but think the ability to make small talk is a very useful skill and find dining with strangers is the perfect opportunity to work on that skill.

So, first night, I asked to be seated at a large table. Was seated at a 10-top. On my left were two young couples (not together); on my right was a middle-aged couple, and on their right were two sisters or female friends travelling together.

Basically, NO ONE SPOKE TO ANYONE ELSE. I think the women might have engaged me in conversation but didn't want to shout across the table. I tried to start a few conversations and got only 1-word responses. It was pretty much a disaster and being the first night, the service was slow so it was pretty agonizing.

After that, I asked to be seated alone and enjoyed myself very much. I really like to people watch and also like to watch the servers do their jobs. They're pretty amazing when you have the time to focus on them.

Leg 2, we had late dining and had a wonderful assistant server who pretty much totally handled out table.

I sailed Fantasy again last May as a solo. I emailed the Maitre'd and asked if my servers were still there and could I please have a table for two and that request was accomodated.

People at the 10-top next to me asked me to join them a couple of nights since not everyone showed up, but I politely declined.

Just because I'm alone doesn't mean I'm lonely and miserable! I appreciate the thought, but I rather like my solitude. And the personalized attention I receive.

Last cruise, on Conquest, there were 4 solo cruisers, 2 male, 2 female at a rectangular 8-top. One guy was pretty difficult to tolerate but the other guy and the woman were cool. She and I are now FB friends and talking about sailing together.

Sailing solo in just over a week. There are other solo females in our Roll Call and we're talking about sitting together, but if not, I'll probably request my own table.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences as a solo cruiser. Reading it re-affirmed my choice of choosing YTD!

If I feel like it, I may ask to be seated at a table with others... But I think I'll ask for a table for 1 most nights. I really enjoy my own company, and like you I love to people watch. I'm an introvert, so I like my peace and quiet. :D

Edited by fofita01

I always cruise solo and take early dining. Sometimes tablemates are all other solo cruisers. Sometimes a interesting assortment, sometimes not. Usually, there is a group of other women or a family group. I have never been seated with more males then females. Don't know if that is intentionally or not. I really don't care. Bad tablemates give me the best stories.

I always did assigned late seating on my cruises. I'm a guy, and I also had tables with more women than men every time. Unless my tablemates were close to me in age (in which case, romantic interest or lack thereof plays some role), the difference was minimal. As long as they were cool, fun to talk to, and respectful of me as a solo, I didn't care what sex they were. The skewed sex ratio is not intentional, though. Cruising is more popular with women than with men, especially among among solo cruisers, due to its (largely untrue) perception of being frou-frou. (It kind of works out in my favor: I never had trouble finding dance partners at dancing activities.) So it's only natural that assigned tables will have a similar ratio.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

• 2 weeks later...

I too struggle with the idea of YTD or Early. I will be doing a solo b2b (have to book the "back" still!) I have had various expiriences but always my friend was there...

As others have mentioned I am looking for R&R. Me time. Its nice to socialize yes but I dont mind eating alone. I would totally be ok for a table for 1 for early dining. How have people been able to email the matriD? I will be on the Paradise and would love to request a 2 top for early dining...

When I cruise solo, I choose Your Time Dining because it gives me the flexibility to get a table for myself or join a table with other people. Having the flexibility to dine at different times works better for me. If I meet people during the cruise and they also have Your Time Dining, I had the flexibility to join them at their table. Just having the flexibility of time and table size wins for me.:cool:

I too struggle with the idea of YTD or Early. I will be doing a solo b2b (have to book the "back" still!) I have had various expiriences but always my friend was there...

As others have mentioned I am looking for R&R. Me time. Its nice to socialize yes but I dont mind eating alone. I would totally be ok for a table for 1 for early dining. How have people been able to email the matriD? I will be on the Paradise and would love to request a 2 top for early dining...

The email for the Paradise Maître D is pamaitred@carnival.com

Enjoy your solo B2B!!! :)

Edited by fofita01

When I cruise solo, I choose Your Time Dining because it gives me the flexibility to get a table for myself or join a table with other people. Having the flexibility to dine at different times works better for me. If I meet people during the cruise and they also have Your Time Dining, I had the flexibility to join them at their table. Just having the flexibility of time and table size wins for me.:cool:

I'm with you! These are my exact reasons for choosing YTD on my solo cruise.

Like I said before, I only tried YTD once when I was with friends... We preferred our usual choice of Late Dining because we like having a set time/table/waiter.

I think that for my R&R solo cruise there is no better choice than YTD so I can have 100% flexibility of my dining time and companions (if any).

I have done one solo before and doing it again next month. I do traditional dining at the early time. I love meeting and getting to know new people! I would not like sitting by myself at dinner. But I understand why someone would want to as well. I am so excited!

Thank you for the email!! I plan to enjoy and relax!!!!

I wonder when I should contact the ship though... I don't sail for over 5 months...:o

Welcome! I'm glad to help.

I have normally emailed the Maître D for special table assignments around the 1 month mark to 3 weeks prior. If I haven't heard a response by then, I send a follow-up email 2 weeks out.

I always include:

-Sailing Date

-Full Name

-Booking #

-Cabin #

-And my request

In the subject line I put "Sailing Date - Request" for example: May 31, 2014 - Table for 2 Request"

I prefer the late dining assigned seating. I get to know my tablemates, who are almost always solo travelers also. I don't care for anytime dining since I like to know every day with whom I will be eating dinner.

Early assigned seating generally doesn't have too many solo travelers.

Hello everyone,

I would like some input from SOLO cruisers as I'm about to go on my first solo cruise soon.

1) What dining have you picked on a Solo cruise - Assigned or Your Time Dining?

2) If you have tried both on a Solo cruise, which one did you liked best and why?

A little info on me:

I typically cruise with friends and we pick assigned dining (late). Normally we fill a whole table, but on occasion have been seated with others - that has been fine with me/us.

I have only done Your Time Dining once - it was OK. I prefer assigned, but would try YTD again.

The purpose of this trip is for R&R and be totally at my own pace without making any compromises with anyone about activities, excursions, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input!

I've done four solos on Carnival this year. I picked late seating for the first three and "Your Time" on the last.

On the first cruise, we had a diverse group, but only a partial table with four guys and one female, all travelling solo. I really hit it off with the single fem at the table, and we're best buds now. In fact, I booked the third solo because my friend was going and we had a blast. We'll cruise together again in the near future as well. No romance, but a very close friendship.

On the second cruise I ended up at another diverse table of solos. Three women, three guys. All were genuine characters (myself not excluded) and we hung out together, even going on a couple of shore excursions together.

On the third cruise it was another mixed bag, but everyone got along famously and again, we banded together for shore excursions. I wouldn't have gotten to go to the Blue Hole in Ocho Rios if two of the ladies at the table hadn't also wanted to go.

On the fourth cruise I did "Your Time" and sat with different people every night. I never really met anyone and formed no lasting attachments. It was very superficial and a little awkward, like sharing your table in a crowded landside restaurant.

To sum it up, go with assigned seating, especially as a solo. You'll most likely be seated with other solos, which gives you something in common right from the start.

I've done four solos on Carnival this year. I picked late seating for the first three and "Your Time" on the last.

On the first cruise, we had a diverse group, but only a partial table with four guys and one female, all travelling solo. I really hit it off with the single fem at the table, and we're best buds now. In fact, I booked the third solo because my friend was going and we had a blast. We'll cruise together again in the near future as well. No romance, but a very close friendship.

On the second cruise I ended up at another diverse table of solos. Three women, three guys. All were genuine characters (myself not excluded) and we hung out together, even going on a couple of shore excursions together.

On the third cruise it was another mixed bag, but everyone got along famously and again, we banded together for shore excursions. I wouldn't have gotten to go to the Blue Hole in Ocho Rios if two of the ladies at the table hadn't also wanted to go.

On the fourth cruise I did "Your Time" and sat with different people every night. I never really met anyone and formed no lasting attachments. It was very superficial and a little awkward, like sharing your table in a crowded landside restaurant.

To sum it up, go with assigned seating, especially as a solo. You'll most likely be seated with other solos, which gives you something in common right from the start.

Thanks for your various reports from your cruises. Seems like a fun time! I've made many friends through Cruise Critic that I keep in touch with 9 years later after my first cruise.

On previous cruises my friends and I have "adopted" some solos into our group and table at dinner.

After much debate, I've decided that I want to do YTD. I want to be totally on my own, particularly at dinner. I'm being 100% selfish with my time this cruise, so I don't want the set dining time (as my group of friends usually do).

I have been active in my roll call, and in fact I traveled with a couple on my September cruise - it was coincidence we are all booked on our upcoming cruise. I've also made some plans with someone else on there to go to a beach together.

I know I'll make some friends elsewhere other than at dinner. :)

Is it cruise time yet?!? :D

Edited by fofita01

I always have done late seating in the past, but if I could get get DH to stay home, I would try YT. I always had great company on my solo cruises, but I would like not having to be there at a certain time. One of these days I'm going to slip in another solo cruise. I absolutely love them. :)

Thanks Karen, JegoDe & Caribsun for your quick replies and sharing your thoughts.

Karen - I am completely comfortable eating alone. I have gone to nice restaurants by myself and never felt weird. I enjoy my own company! LOL

Oh! And thanks - I can't wait! I'm booking it when I get home later.

I am leaning towards picking YTD because on nights I want to eat alone I can and if I feel like being seated with others I can also request that.

It anyone else wants to chime in, please let me know your thoughts. :D

This is the best plan, you have got it..when it is to total spoil you mode..the table proximity is weird...but if you bring a book or something..that helps..sometimes folks will ask you to join them for desert or something..some will leave you alone and then being asked to sit with folks..well that can make it go faster..sometimes they overlook one or do not give the whole rundown to a solo and this is part of dinner service declining anyway with enough staff..really work at finding a good team for YTD..that is the best..I have gone solo both ways..the planned seating worked a little better..but i will still do YTD when I want to and think it fits more with your wants this time....sarah:)

Edited by sjn911

I've done several SOLO cruises, and have always chosen "early". I've been assigned to a BIG table with other solo cruisers, and have always had a FANTASTIC time with them. Only one time have I been assigned to a table with families, and in that case, I asked the Maitre'd to switch me to another table. That was taken care of, and once again, I was assigned to a table with other solo cruisers. One of the highlights of my cruises are meeting great people, and sharing stories, and dinner with them. I rarely go ashore anymore, as I've been to the Caribbean ports so many times.

Have a FANTASTIC cruise.

"SKY"

I have cruised on over 14 solo trips and others with friends and family. I love the solo experience and meeting interesting folks. Last New Years I was on the Pride and the third night my table mates didn't come a the large table next door insisted I join them. They were great too and we all ended up talking and meeting each other but I still had all the alone time I wanted.

I also usually do the Steak House one night - typically by myself unless I decide to have some else join in. The nice thing is that you each pay the upcharge and the beverage etc yourself so no issue. Do whatever makes you comfortable but know you can always request a change if it doesn't work for you

• 2 weeks later...

Have been on many cruises but in 17 days I will be taking my first Solo cruise.

After reading all the posts I could find on solo dining I am having trouble deciding on the best choice for myself. I chose my time dining thinking this would be the best choice for a solo cruisers, but now I am thinking I made a mistake.

Being a social person who actually prefers to not dine alone should I switch to the late assigned seating?

Most posters here state that Solo cruisers are more likely to choose the late dining, thus I would increase my chances of being seated with other solo cruisers. Correct?

If I choose the late seating and don't enjoy the company of my table mates can I switch to my time dining after the first night?

Should I contact the maitre d' by e-mail to request seating with other solo travelers?

I know some of these questions have already been addressed, but I would appreciate input from solo cruisers who have been there, done that :confused:

Thanks, Yamaha dancer

Have been on many cruises but in 17 days I will be taking my first Solo cruise.

After reading all the posts I could find on solo dining I am having trouble deciding on the best choice for myself. I chose my time dining thinking this would be the best choice for a solo cruisers, but now I am thinking I made a mistake.

Being a social person who actually prefers to not dine alone should I switch to the late assigned seating?

Most posters here state that Solo cruisers are more likely to choose the late dining, thus I would increase my chances of being seated with other solo cruisers. Correct?

If I choose the late seating and don't enjoy the company of my table mates can I switch to my time dining after the first night?

Should I contact the maitre d' by e-mail to request seating with other solo travelers?

I know some of these questions have already been addressed, but I would appreciate input from solo cruisers who have been there, done that :confused:

Thanks, Yamaha dancer

Hi! I know exactly how you feel! Hence why I posted this thread.

As you may have read, I chose the YTD because I WANT to dine alone... or if I meet other folks who are on YTD I may dine with them.

Now onto your questions:

If you truly prefer to dine with others, and have done assigned dining in the past, and you enjoy that.... then go ahead and switch in advance. Just call up the Carnival 800 #, your Carnival PVP or your TA and ask them to switch to late... The longer you wait to switch might result in being "waitlisted" for your preferred dining option/time.

I really think it depends, but I guess you would find more solos at the late dining vs. early since a lot of families tend to prefer early dining.

This COULD be a possibility. The Maitre D' may just go ahead and switch you to another table in the assigned dining (late or early)... or if he can, switch you to YTD. Anything is possible, just have to ask and hope that your request can be accommodated.

You can (and I would have if I wanted assigned dining) contact the Maitre D to request to be seated with other solos. Let me know if you need the email address.

Good luck and have fun on your first solo cruise.... I'm very excited for mine in 16 days!!! :D

Edited by fofita01