London to southampton via Stonehenge

Wondering how much time we will need on a Saturday (June 7) to travel from London tower area and Trafalgar Square (2 hotels) to the Southampton cruise port. I have read that we will need a minimum of 90 minutes in Stonehenge with the new welcome center.

Thank you,

Cathy

We were there about the same time in 2013 and it took all of 1 mimute to go through and pay. Have they built someting additional? If they did it was quick as I don't recall anything under way. The sight itself does not take that long, we were there about 30 minutes. The sight is small.

You might also consider stopping at the Salisbury Cathedral, we actually enjoyed that more than Stonehenge. It is on the way to Southampton from SH. We just rented a car in London and drove dropping the car off in SH.

Edited by KirkNC

Googlemaps is showing Tower Bridge to Southampton via Stonehenge at 2.5 hours. Trafalgar Square is pretty-well en-route & traffic in central London will be light - no commuter traffic on a Saturday & no major events that I know of.

But there'll be plenty of Londoners heading to the coast & the West Country on a summer Saturday and there's likely to be one or two bottlenecks.

Only two ships turning around that day (Eclipse & Opera) but there may be some congestion at the port gate.

I'd allow at least 3.5 hours plus 90 mins at Stonehenge.

(when Kirk was there, the disgraceful old facilities - just toilets, snack kiosk, ticket kiosk & carpark - were only 100 yards or so from the Stones. That's all gone now & the new visitor centre is tucked out of sight, over 2 miles away & with a shuttle service to the Stones - the shuttle alone may cost up to half-an-hour, and the centre has displays etc )

Just a thought:

The last part of your journey, Stonehenge to Southampton via Salisbury isn't usually affected by summer-Saturday traffic. Can I suggest you allow a total of four hours plus 90 minutes at Stonehenge & if delays haven't seriously eaten into your wiggle time you can spend an hour or so in Salisbury, mebbe take in the magnificent cathedral.

Time stopped at Salisbury will attract a charge for waiting-time, usually around £15 to £20 per hour, but time stuck in traffic won't.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Can I add another plug for Salisbury Cathedral. It really is awe inspiring. They also have an original copy of Magna Carta. Copies and translations make good souvenirs.

salisbury.jpg.616059d511b68f5f7d00ba5e067fb3fe.jpg

Edited by Bob++

We were there about the same time in 2013 and it took all of 1 mimute to go through and pay. Have they built someting additional? If they did it was quick as I don't recall anything under way. The sight itself does not take that long, we were there about 30 minutes. The sight is small.

You might also consider stopping at the Salisbury Cathedral, we actually enjoyed that more than Stonehenge. It is on the way to Southampton from SH. We just rented a car in London and drove dropping the car off in SH.

They have just finished completion of the Stonehenge Visitor Centre - I haven't been yet thought but apparently...

"Stonehenge now has a transformed visitor experience, with a new world-class visitor centre, housing museum-quality permanent and temporary exhibitions, plus a spacious shop and café. Entrance to Stonehenge is now managed through timed tickets and advance booking is required. Booking is the only way to guarantee entry on the day and at the time of your choice."