Anybody just off (or on) Ryndam?

slivers

Looking for comments on the condition of Ryndam after the March 2014 drydock refit.

Well, for one thing, I hope that the LOUD squealing /grating noise was repaired to the Lido Pool (Sliding) Dome Cover that was made each & every time it was being opened or closed! So LOUD, in fact, that the staff member performing this task had to wear ear protectors! :eek:

I was on the ship from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona. I enjoyed the cruise very much. It was my first time on the ship and it seemed to be in very good shape. There was a little problem with the toilets in the middle of the cruise but it was quickly resolved and everyone was attentive to the needs of the passengers. I also had a shower problem: I couldn't get any cold water and did not want to shower with very hot water. This lasted just a few hours. Not only was the service handled quickly,but the guest services office followed up to make sure the work had been done properly. My cabin stewards were wonderful.

I've been on the Prinsendam, the Maasdam, the Veendam and now the Ryndam and felt the food on the Ryndam was the best. Loved the hot dogs and hamburgers in the new Dive In. The entertainers were all great, especially Gavin at the piano bar and the guys in the Neptune lounge: Harvey, Max and Fernando.

The passengers were an eclectic, hip mix and I did not feel that it was a hospital ship, ad I had in other cruises, as the demographic ranged from the 40s to the 80s. There were lots of singles of all ages, a number of gay passengers of various ages and lots of Canadians. Everyone mixed and mingled and we had a great time. I think the number of sea days also contributed to the bonding. The people watching was amazing and there was even a near fight at the piano bar late one night,when two ladies got into it. It was past my bedtime but it was the talk of the ship the next day. We had some real eccentrics on board, including one guy who wore skirts ( not kilts) which made for great entertainment. Everyone seemed to get along well.

The new shows that were previewed in the cruise were spectacular. I especially enjoyed Heat. They were very impressive. There was also a singing group on board who did a show similar to the Jersey Boys, which was very entertaining . They also spent time in the bars with the passengers and seemed to have fun. They were very approachable to passengers of all ages.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, just ask.

Edited by CameraCrazy
Grammatical errors

WOW!!! I want to be on THAT HAL cruise!!! Sounds like a great crowd. HAL " lady " passengers getting into it at the piano bar...that's worth the price of the ticket right there!

Edited by eandj

Do you remember the name of the cruise director?

Thanks

Yes, it was John Clelford, from England. This was his first cruise on HAL, but he'd worked on Princess for many years. He came on the ship with this cruise. I don't know how long he will be on. He was okay. He did his job.