question about motion on Star Clipper

ael123

My husband and I are considering the June 21st sailing of Star Flyer from Venice to Istanbul. We are in our mid 50's have sailed Wind Star which we thoroughly enjoyed and in our 30's and early 40's used to sail on Lake Michigan in a 22 foot Rhodes. We have both always got queasy on the lower level galley on 26 foot sail boats although we never had any problems on Windstar. Never having sailed on a Star Clipper ship we don't know how much movement we should expect. On deck with fresh air we would likely be able to weather any waves but if it was rocking at night when we were down in our cabin without stabilizers I am not sure how we would do. If anyone out there is a sailor can you provide me with a basis of comparison so that I can think about what it might feel like if we decide to sail on the Star Clipper for the 18 day Venice to Istanbul cruise I would greatly appreciate it.

We too have our own sailboat - 29 footer now (previous one 26 ft.). We have been on all three of the Clippers and have experienced Force 10 in the Med (in October on the RC) and Force 8 for a few hours in the English Channel on the Star Flyer. As a sailor you will know that some raised sails can have a steadying effect in some windy conditions. I would say that your best indicator is Windstar which seems to indicate that you should be OK on the Star Flyer / Star Clipper. In June the weather in the Med may be subdued. If perchance you do run in to some windy conditions then your bed will have leeboards, which you or your cabin steward can lift up, and they should give you a comfortable night. We have used them a couple of times. In reading your post my instinct is that you should "go for it" and you should have a super holiday. We have got to wait until next February for our next one on the RC in the Caribbean, which we have just booked.

I've sailed the Caribbean, Tahiti, Norway and the Mediterranean with Star Clippers. Never had Problems.

Clipper in the Caribbean. Great. But it is a tall ship. And on sailboats, you know you are on water!!

I love it!!!