Disney VS RCL Voyager for teens

ccampbell

Our family loved our 4 day Disney cruise last October, and we are currently looking at a 7 day in Janyuary. We are currently leaning toward RCI Voyager of the seas. Mainly due to the price difference. With a family of 5 (3 boys 16,12 and 9) the extra $'s for Disney really add up. Has anyone experienced both cruise lines? Also what are your feelings on cruising with teens, is there just more teen stuff to do on the Voyager ships.

We cruised on DCL when my son was 16, he had an absolutely fabulous time! We had actually rebooked to cruise DCL again, but then realized he would be 18, and thus excluded from the kids activities, with really nothing on DCL for his age group.

So we booked on RCCL, and are happy with our decision.

Bottom line, for your age group DCL is the best afloat. As they get older you might want to think about another line.

Anne

We've sailed on both and I would go with Voyager Class for teens. I think there's more to do, rock climbing wall, inline skating, ice skating, miniture golf, Johnny Rockets...

We have done both the Disney Wonder and Royal Caribbeans Serenade of the seas with teen son 14 and he would recommend Royal Caribbean over Disney much more to do and older kids, there were about 50 teens in the group. You will have a great time no matter what you do.

We did the Disney cruise when my daughter was 11. She loved it! When she was turning 14 she wanted to do Disney again but we wanted to try a different line. We went with the Voyager. My daughter loved the Voyager even more.

I think with the ice skating, rock climbing, etc. it is more geared to the older kids. We are now going for her 16th birthday on Explorer of the Seas.

We've cruised on both the Magic (May 1999 and May 2002) and the Voyager (Aug. 2003). Our 3 boys were 15, 12, 8 on our Voyager cruise so subtract 1 year for ages when on Disney in 2002. While the Voyager's kids clubs seemed to offer more than Disney my kids didn't participate at all. Just for the record, they didn't participate much on Disney except on our 2002 cruise the oldest could go to teen club and we hardly ever saw him. The ages of the kids on the Voyager were mostly children 7 and under and teens 17 and older on our cruise. This left a huge gap for our oldest two. They just felt as if they didn't fit it. Don't get me wrong they did like the Voyager but overall, all boys preferred Disney. HTH

Lisa icon_smile.gif

2-14-04 Seabourn Legend

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;2;14;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

6-19-04 Disney Magic

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

3-19-05 Diamond Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2005;3;19;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We don't have children, but we have sailed Disney 37 times and have done RCCL 4, including a trip on Voyager. If you want to know what the teens can do on Disney, I have the activitiy lists posted on my website at www.castawayclub.com. Compare those to the activities on Voyager, such as the rock climbing wall, the ice rink, etc. We enjoyed Voyager, but we like Disney better as adults because of the adults-only areas. Disney has a teens-only beach on Castaway Cay and a neat excursion for them on the island.

Barb

Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on both and took my niece 12 and my nephew who turn 14 at WDW on the Wonder . They enjoyed the cruise alot. I have thought about taking them again but if so it would be one of the Voyager Class ship due to there ages. Please keep in mind that you have just asked me to choose between my 2 favorite cruises and with your kids ages i'd pick a Voyager class ship. Happy picking and bon voyage

Archived