Where do ships dock in Reykjavik?

tring

Can anyone tell me where Boudicca is likely to dock in Reykjavik?

It seems some smaller ships can dock centrally in a harbour, but others dock at the Skarfabakki cruise terminal, (I think about 5 km from the centre), so a shuttle bus is necessary.

We travelled on Boudicca to Reykjavik two years ago and we did dock at the Skarfabakki cruise terminal, as you indeed suspect.

A shuttle was provided and it dropped us off outside the new theatre and concert hall, an incredible building, in my eyes anyway!

We however, took the opportunity to walk back to the ship along the coastal path, some beautiful views and artwork along the way. Probably about 5k but it was a sunny day and very easy strolling.

Enjoy your trip, we are hoping to go back to Iceland next year.

Thanks for the replies.

I tried the port aurthority, but I cannot find anything at present - I will try nearer the time of the cruise (July).

I have tried to locate the new theatre and have just become confused. Is it the building made of lots of smaller glass units on the water front just before the harbour, or is it futher inland, the other side of the town centre? I could be way off the mark with both of those!!!

Also, did Fred charge for the shuttle buses - cruise critic port guide for Reykjavik say the shuttle is provided free by the port authority? If charged for, do you know if you can get a local buses from the port as we are thinking of getting a pass which will cover local bus fares and some museum entries, so we may not need to use the shuttle bus.

We travelled to Reykjavik last year on Black Watch and docked at the cruise terminal. FO charged for the shuttle bus, but we walked back from town. There is also a public bus that goes near to the cruise port.

We actually hired a car and the company collected us from the cruise terminal.

The theatre/concert hall is called "Harpa" and is the modern glass building on the coast next to the old harbour (and adjacent to the centre of town).

Thanks for the replies - looks like we will be in the cruise terminal then, at least it has a tourist information which could be handy.

I have located the "Harpa" on google earth, so all we need to do now is wait for July.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

I would not trust it personally, unless the tour company is flexible on departure time.

Remember, once docked, it is still necessary to be cleared by customs. You would also need to be disembarked and may need to walk a distance to the pick up point (I have no knowledge of the port layout). Also, people booked on ship's tours may be given priority for disembarkation - especially if the ship is a tad late.