Which Airline to Copenhagen?

Juliadlf

I've posted and received some really great responses on Star Princess for a Baltic cruise next June. So now I'm researching airlines and which ones to look at for booking air from US (Upstate NY) to Copenhagen. Can't do a price quote yet since it's too far out but which ones would you suggest?

Flew to Copenhagen July 3 from Washington, DC (Dullles). We flew on SAS (Scandinavian). It was a direct flight to Copenhagen, which I prefer to changing planes, especially, in Europe.

If I can get a direct to Europe from somewhere in the States, I'll do it.

I talked to numerous passengers who had flown thru Paris on Air France and had problems, including lost luggage.

There's really not much choice in non-stop flights from the USA! Since you are in upstate NY, if you can make it to Newark NJ, SAS has a non-stop 6 days a week (this year). SAS is one of the better airlines; they fly Airbus planes.

I tried to get into Copenhagen in September using frequent flier miles with Continental and SAS. SAS had the entire sumnmer blocked off and was not allowing frequent flier mile usage unless I used something like 100,000 miles. I thought this was ridiculous. I ended up flying Continental into Berlin. I get in Saturday morning and get to spend the rest of Saturday and the majority of Sunday in Berlin. (A city I have never been to) I then take Easyjet to Copenhagen Sunday late afternoon. The flight to Copenhagen was 24 euros. If I had left Saturday it would have been 4 euros. Returning home, I am taking the train from Copenhagen to Hamburg (about a four hour ride). I get to spend a day in Hamburg and then fly back to Newark on Sunday direct. Continental charged me 25,000 frequent flier miles. So in addition to my cruise ports I get to see two additional European cities and some scenery that I have never experienced. Probably not the most direct but I think a great chance to get even more out of my vacation.

psupam: I like the way you think as that's the way we travel too. Berlin is a great place; get the transit system daypass (Tageskarte) for unlimited use and you can see a lot in a short time. This past May we used Easyjet from London to Copenhagen; they have great fares.

Juliadlf: Back to your original question, no doubt SAS is the best bet if you require nonstop service which you can obtain out of Newark. If you don't mind a connection, I'm a fan of KLM which connects throughout Europe at their Amsterdam hub. Avoid Air France and Alitalia as their employees always seem to go out on strike!

Keep in mind, that for travel next June there probably won't be a sale that covers that period until around March.

BobK/Orlando

just off: Sea Princess

We flew SAS to Copenhagen. Liked the airline very much. SAS and Swiss Air are my favorites. Since you are in upstate NY, you will most likely fly into JFK and make a connection there.

I would say SAS non-stop from Newark ore DC. You can also get United Miles.

Not sure if SAS flies out of Newark. They didn't used to. JFK for certain, and the flight from upstate NY would be just about the same to JFK as it would be to Newark.

Does anyone know what airline(s) Princess uses if you book directly through them? We are booked on the Star's Transatlantic Sept. 2006 so we're looking at a one way flight.

Phil

KAJOKG ... SAS only flies out of Newark NJ. No more JFK! There are NO non-stop flights from JFK to Copenhagen, unless they are charters. You can get to Singapore and Bangkok non-stop from JFK, but not Copenhagen.

KAJOKG ... SAS only flies out of Newark NJ. No more JFK! There are NO non-stop flights from JFK to Copenhagen, unless they are charters. You can get to Singapore and Bangkok non-stop from JFK, but not Copenhagen.

How things do change. We moved to Florida 18 years ago from NJ. We did lots of our overseas travel from JFK, and only used Newark for domestic flights. Newark would have been great for us.....an easy ride from where we lived down the NJTpke. But we never minded JFK. It's probably changed quite a bit by now.

From where we live we have only one airport which is serviced by USAirways and NWA. So connections are typically through either Philadelphia-USAirways or Detroit -NWA. I guess I've got some researching to do....

Thanks for all your responses.

Since you have so much time start watching for flights now. I flew on United. Non-stop from Newark. Actually it was the weirdest plane I ever flew on since it had 5 different airlines colors on the outside United/SAS/ Vargas? Lufthansas and something else....ah codeshares! On one tuesday night I was looking at the internet and found a very inexensive flight on United---booked it called some friends who were also traveling at about the same time and next day it was gone...so try the different codeshares with SAS and see if you can get a better price. Also we are United frequent flyers and on the way back with a deeply discounted coach fare they put us in first class--that's the way to fly! but I wouldn't pay for it! Direct flight means landing and takeoffs I assume what most people say are direct they mean non-stop. PS I have flown Air France many times and I have never lost anything...

Actually it was the weirdest plane I ever flew on since it had 5 different airlines colors on the outside United/SAS/ Vargas? Lufthansas and something else....ah codeshares!
That'll just be one of the aircraft advertising the Star Alliance - it will have had all the logos of all the airlines in the alliance when the aircraft was painted in the special livery. Most of the *A airlines have one or more aircraft in this type of special scheme, although there is one notable exception.

Nothing to do with any codeshares that might have been on your flight.

Having lived in Copenhagen, some of the most inexpensive flights are on IcelandAir. They offer service out of JFK/BWI/MCO and sometimes BOS depending on season. You must make a connection via Iceland, but their planes are newer and service is good. On the return, if you have a longer connection in Iceland (4+hours), included with your ticket is a tour to the Blue Lagoon, an incredible hot spring. IcelandAir will actually fill a bus with connecting passengers, drive out about 30 minutes, have about an hour to dip in the lagoon, and drive back for your return flight to the states. It is a must do, and very famous in Iceland.

SAS is currently the only airline offering non-stop service from a few cities (SEA/ORD/EWR/IAD) to Copenhagen. Most other major airlines would connect via a large hub in Europe such as London, Frankfurt, Paris, or Zurich. With the current airline alliances such as One World with American Airlines and British Airways, flights to London and their connections are quite easy and sold often with one ticket price.

You will have an amazing time in the Baltic! Summers are generally very comfortable with loads of sun. The people are extremely friendly, and nearly everyone you encounter will speak fluent English.

Hi Everyone,

I've flown SAS direct from Seattle to Copenhagen a couple of times now and just LOVE that airline. I rebook with them when flying to Europe whenever possible. Especially coming from the West coast, I am all about finding non-stop flights.

SAS is superior to other major carriers that would fly from the US and I highly recommend them from any of their other gateways.

• 2 months later...

sallycruiser -

not sure where you're flying from, but I've always found the nonstop SAS the best (I live in Chicago). If I have to connect, I would definitely recommend Frankfurt (almost all US airlines fly there, plus Lufthansa) over Heathrow (nightmare, even if doing a BA to BA connection).

If anyone has been put off by past experiences of connecting BA to BA at Heathrow, there is one piece of good news relevant to this thread. Copenhagen is now operated from Terminal 4.

This means that if you fly in to T4, it's now a same-terminal connection to Copenhagen, which takes 90% out of the hassle of connecting at Heathrow.

There are a few long-haul flights that have been moved out of T4 as part of the switches. For example LAX and SFO flights now go to T1 (so would involve the traditional hassle to connect to Copenhagen), but any other flights from the US to Heathrow will go to T4.

We flew Iclandair from BWI to Copenhagen for our Star Princess Baltic cruise in July. It was fantastic!!! Connected in Iceland and onto Copenhagen. The rates were very reasonable and we actually were fed hot meals for all legs. I'll never forget the flight attendants walking the isles with wicker baskets and linen napkins serving warm rolls. The flight attendants wore very striking uniforms with little hats that reminded us of the '50's!!! Next time to Europe, if Icelandair has the route, we will book it. You will LOVE this itinerary. Out of 20 cruises, it ranks #2.

Archived