For those of you who have been to Belize...

LisaT12

Hi There. Are there any tours of Belize City that you can take when you arrive at the dock? What else is there to do at the port? Are taxi's easily available? Is there anything within walking distance? I am set with our stops in Cozumel (which we always love) and Progreso - but nothing is really hitting me with Belize. I think I would like to be spontaneous and just see what is there when we arrive. Any suggestions if we do not want to make reservations -- we have 2 daughters 10 and 8? Thanks for your help!!

our family (boys11,16,18) took the cruise trip up the river Wallace in a flat boat. We saw dolfins, inguana, croc's...to a small stop to eat and there were a few stands to shop. Then we boarded the bus for 20 min. to Tulum ruins. We all enjoyed it. This was the Carnival River Wallace/Tulum excursion. It is a long tender ride in from the ship. Have a good time.

Karyn

http://www.coralbreezelimited.com

and

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/

are two good companies with high recommendations on the port of call board.

When there is February- there were no taxis. Even the cruise director stated that this is a port that you need to book an excursion.

We got into belieze and found a tour right there. It took us to the Myan Ruins and then a tour of the city. She suggested we do not shop in the city itself. Said was not safe for us so we didn't. It cost us 60.00 for 4 and was about 3 to 4 hours. There was only 2 other people with us so it was great having the one on one with someone from Belieze to explain everything.

our family (boys11,16,18) took the cruise trip up the river Wallace in a flat boat. We saw dolfins, inguana, croc's...to a small stop to eat and there were a few stands to shop. Then we boarded the bus for 20 min. to Tulum ruins. We all enjoyed it. This was the Carnival River Wallace/Tulum excursion. It is a long tender ride in from the ship. Have a good time.

Karyn

Karyn.. we just got off the Miracle... I think you saw the Altun Ha ruins, not Tulum. We did the same excursion and had a great time.

Ya know. I am not a huge fan of Belieze City. We took a Mayan ruin tour that was almost in Guatemala. (started with a X, but I can't even start to spell it) Very pretty and nice out that way. People great.

I will say the fried chicken in Belieze City is good though ;)

Michael

When a group of us went, my mother in law and a bunch of her friends went into the city to hire a taxi... you have to go through a chain linked fence... they saw the taxi (an old van all dented in) and turned around and came back. There is plenty of shopping in the fenced in area, where it is safe. We went to Goffes Caye. We did not do the snorkle, we just went to the island and laid on the beach... one of my favorite places in the world!! There is about 6 palm trees and a hut on the island... that is all... very small secluded island. I loved it!

Ya know. I am not a huge fan of Belieze City. We took a Mayan ruin tour that was almost in Guatemala. (started with a X, but I can't even start to spell it) Very pretty and nice out that way. People great.

I will say the fried chicken in Belieze City is good though ;)

Michael

Xunantunich and it was AWESOME! I loved it! Long ride out and a long ride back, but it had air conditioning and it was comfortable and safe...totally recommended!

We did the Xunantunich ruins, too. We both really enjoyed it even though it was quite hot. They provide bottled water to everyone on the tour. You can climb to the top of one of the larger 'pyramids'? There were some narrow ledges on the climb up, but once you get to the top, the view is amazing! :) On the return trip, we stopped along the way and had lunch (which was included in the excursion price) that included chicken, red beans and rice, slaw, and fried plantains.

If your daughters (and you!) are comfortable in and around the water you should consider a cave tubing excursion.

Very unique, and I have never heard of anyone, young or old, that didn't think they were great.

We used Marvin Demas' Wet 'n Wild operation, but if you venture over to the Belize forum on the Ports of Call board, you'll see that there are several highly recommended vendors for this excursion.

We did the Xunantunich ruins, too. We both really enjoyed it even though it was quite hot. They provide bottled water to everyone on the tour. You can climb to the top of one of the larger 'pyramids'? There were some narrow ledges on the climb up, but once you get to the top, the view is amazing! :) On the return trip, we stopped along the way and had lunch (which was included in the excursion price) that included chicken, red beans and rice, slaw, and fried plantains.

I did this tour, too, last Nov. when I was on the Miracle! The ruin was AWESOME, although climbing clear to the top scared the @#$% out of me! I had to scoot down on my bottom...not usually freaked out at heights, but was still 'rolling' with the ship! The lunch on the way back was fabulous:D The chicken was so tasty and tender and the fruit drink was delicious. I would do the ruin tour again...would love to go back to Belize...beautiful country!!

Have a great time!!:D

In the village area, there were several people selling tours. We did the Goff's Caye snorkeling and it was nice. Would try the ruins and river wallace tour through Carnival next time. Talked to several people on our cruise who went and loved it.

I was in Belize in March, and we did the cave tubbing tour, which was AWESOME.

The pier area is not as tourist friendly or ready as other ports, i.e. Cozumel.

They are a new port, and they are trying to be a upgrade they're city. It will take some time.

Once you leave the pier . .. well .. I wouldn't recomend it. It looks a little seedy.

We sailed on the Miracle on June 5 this year with a stop in Belize. Keep in mind this is a developing country, so don't expect too much. We took the City Tour offered by the cruise ship and it was very good....about 3 hours. There is one stop at a church for a short stretch/restroom break. The entire port is fenced in with its own shopping and I recommend that rather than trying to venture out into Belize City. After doing some research on the internet, Belize is known for its high crime. So that made us a little worried as to not venture around on our own as we have done on other islands like St. Thomas, St. Maarten or even Grand Cayman. We are not into water sports, so that is why we didn't take any water type excursions, but I heard from fellow passengers that the cave tubing excursion was the best of all. Hope that helps.

Xunantunich and it was AWESOME! I loved it! Long ride out and a long ride back, but it had air conditioning and it was comfortable and safe...totally recommended!

Did your tour stop half way back at a hotel for dinner? I thought both the ruins were awesome and the dinner (This was a 8/2004 Rhapsody cruise). It was bit warm and the park closed before we got back to the vans, so we had to walk about 1/4 mile down the road to load up, but it was still a great day.

Michael

Went to Belize in February - Belize city - not too safe - not too pretty - Went Cave tubing with the ship's tour - huge mistake - over 300 people on our tour alone - bus ride was 1.15 hours each way - it made for a long day - - - would not do cave tubing again - - glad I did it - but I would have rather gone snorkling or scuba diving. next time we go to Belize - I will be scuba diving only.

good luck

Another vote for Coral Breeze Excursions......it was great. We left our young sons with Nana and had a blast with the GC, CM, Belize and Cozumel route.....we had been to all many times but Costa Maya and Belize. I found Coral Breezes through this web site and they were wonderful. I am not sure how long post are archived but I gave a pretty detailed description a few months back.........go to their website. It is run by a few American guys who moved down their to start up this company. The boat was great. The snorkeling was challenging (at least where we went).......have fun! They also will take you over to Geoff's Caye.........

DC

This is the one developing country where you should consider booking a tour in advance, with your family. Overall the people are very nice, but it is a relatively poor country and still growing with tourism. The girls will love the Cave tubing but the 8 yr. old may be too young, small and not strong enough to paddle with her arms. A day trip to Geoff's Caye or Ambergis Cay would be nice but it is sunny and can be hot. A trip up the river to vist the ruins would be different. Check out the independent tour operators and ask for some advice. We used Reggie Trapp for Cave tubing and he does offer other tours. Don't miss the experience of this new destination. Teach the family about diversity and they will appreciate their lives so much more. Shopping at the tourist village is just OK. Don't venture beyond the village but also don't stay on board all day.

We were in Belieze last week and booked in advance through coral breeze. I highly reccomend them. Our family of 5, 16b, 13g, 11g, Dw and I had a blast doing the snorkle and shark ray alley. Don't let the shark thing scare you away. it is awesome. great lunch and golf cart trip around key caulker. it was VERY hot, like once you got on the dock in the city you had to seek shade. Not a place to negotiate a trip or make a decision on a day. Book in advance and save. two other families off this web site also booked in advance and loved it. One single gal joined us as they had some room, but I would not chance a group of 4. Good luck, and as they say in belieze have fun schnaakelin :)

We were in Belize last Oct. We booked an excursion to Coral Sands Beach Resort. It is a private island- price also included lunch. Nice, clean, friendly. "Sand" is crushed coral though, but water was nice and island is pretty. Spent about 5 hours there and also shopped in the tourist village where the tenders let you off. Nice relaxed day.:)

In the village area, there were several people selling tours. We did the Goff's Caye snorkeling and it was nice. Would try the ruins and river wallace tour through Carnival next time. Talked to several people on our cruise who went and loved it.

Curious as to # of people that were on the Goff's Caye excursion with you vs. # of people that were on the island? I was informed by an independent group that they no longer did excursions to Goff's Caye because of the # of complaints they received due to the island being extremely crowded. Someone else also thought that they now did the ships tour. Wanted to what your experience was like - we are scheduled to be the only ship in port that day - can't imagine the 1000-1500 that they state would be there!!! I have found no one so far that offers independent excursions to Goff's Caye. Thanks in advance for the info, Denise

Archived