Belem,Lisbon

Hi there,

I will be visiting Lisbon in June and was thinking of spending some of the day in the Belem area as I use a mobility scooter and this area seems to be more accessible than much of Lisbon. The only problem I can see is the underpass which goes under the coast road and rail way seems to just have steeps to access it. Does anyone know if there is away to cross here.

Thanks

I used the tram when I went to Belem and I don't think you'd be able to get a scooter on that. There are not that many crossing points across the railway line but if you're getting the train, there's bound to be one there. I know last time I was getting a taxi up in that area to go to a restaurant on the Marina side! the driver had to go quite. Few miles past in order to be able to turn across the railway line.

The centre of Lisbon is not that difficult. It has quite a lot of flat and pedestrianised streets.

My friend and I were in Belem on our scooters in 2006. We also were unable to find anything but steps to access the overpass. So we limited our sightseeing to one side of the tracks.

Be sure to stop in a bakery in Belem and sample the wonderful Belem tarts.

Ruth and I were on the town (land) side of the highway. We were not able to find a way to the river side to see Padrão dos Descobrimentos. Regardless, we were able to visit Jerónimos Monastery Bethlehem's Churh - Monastery of Jerónimos It was gorgeous, well worth the visit. We were there late fall, thus the gardens and parks were not at their prime. We took a taxi to and from and it was not that expensive. And we did not have any problems getting around the town. I'm glad we made the trip.

We were sepnding a couple nights in Lisbon, so we made the trip over in the afternoon after we got off the cruise. We also wanted to see Santa Justa Elevator, however there is a flight of stairs getting up to it. Maybe something has changed since 2006. Just this past October we were in Oporto and Portugal had many changes to accommodate wheelchairs.

Looking at a street view on Google maps, it appears the train station is on the river side and they only have stairs leading up to the pedestrian over pass. I do not have any idea as to how current Google street pictures are.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

ps - It appears the link is not working, just do a search on the Internet

Edited by raindropsalways

Hi again

thanks for your replies, very useful. We are hoping to be able to use the ho ho bus and get off at Belem (mosteiro dos jeronimos side) and have a quick look around and go to pasteis de belem. Then back on the ho ho bus and stop off at praca do comercio and then back to the ship, we are only in port for 8 hours so I don't think we have time for anything else. If we find we can't do the ho ho buses we we have to use taxis.