Can someone recommend ssocks and gloves for June excursions?

shiner6

I do not have hiking boots, but plan on sturdy walking shoes combined with socks for light walks. And a glacier plane trip. Will this be adequate?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It depends a lot on what you intend on doing while you are ashore. In many cases the excursion vendors assume their customers will wear inappropriate footwear and will have appropriate wear available if the trip demands it (such as rubber boots). Most excursions will be fine with sturdy walking shoes. If you are an adventurous type and might set off on your own, then I would recommend a ballistic nylon hiking shoe (I like Merrell, but there are many good brands). Ditto if you are taking any aggressive excursions. A spare pair of socks in the lightweight backpack you will have along for your layers might also be a good idea.

Edited by Cabunit

I second Merrell. They have plenty of hiking shoes that are good looking enough to use everyday. And depending on what you mean by walking shoes, they may not have proper tread on the sole.

And ditto to bringing a second pair of socks. I almost ruined a hiking trip in Colorado because on the first day my feet got very sweaty and ended up blistering. Ever since then I switch to dry socks half way through.

Finally whatever you plan on wearing I would do dry runs in before your trip. Making sure you are comfortable in them before hand will help.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Several folks wear tennis shoes/walking shoes. Are Smartwool socks thin enough or are they for hiking boots?

Thank you.

The socks come in various degrees of thickness. The ones I have are fine with my Saucony tennis shoes, Merrills amd Clarke walking shoes. You might want to try a pair with whatever shoe or shoes you are planning to bring just to be on the safe side.