Alcohol on the ship

waldocruiser1

Have you ever purchased a bottle or two of alcohol on the ship from Bon-voyage?

Did you think the price was too much?

Did you finish the bottle on the ship?

If you did not, what did you do with it?

Well these are the problems we have had in the past.

The DW has smuggled, and purchased from the ship, and while the price is very high on the ship, the biggest problem is she never finished the bottle (I don't drink and she only has a drink or two from the bottle each day/evening). That then makes the price even worse.

So I have a question, Idea;

Would anyone want to SHARE a bottle of rum or other spirit purchased on the ship? We would buy the bottle and we would pour our part in our rum runner or other container and you can have the bottle with your half.

What do you think of the idea?

Are you not allowed to take an open bottle back home? :confused:

You are, but who wants to take part of a $65 bottle home? We've sort of same quandry on our upcoming NCL cruise- we were thinking about buying a bottle for the start of the trip and then using the credit we have with our cabana to buy another bottle. Thing is, it's unlikely that the two of us would finish both liters and I'd rather save the room in the luggage for the unopened bottles that we buy from duty free:D.

OP, as stated this sounds like a question for the folks on your roll call. I know that if I were going with you I would jump at the chance to split the cost and the bottle.

Have you ever purchased a bottle or two of alcohol on the ship from Bon-voyage?

Yep, crown royal about 85$

Did you think the price was too much?

Nope, its the only way to get it without sneaking it and I don't got time for that.

Did you finish the bottle on the ship?

Yep

If you did not, what did you do with it?

You can take it home with you like any other gift.

Well these are the problems we have had in the past.

The DW has smuggled, and purchased from the ship, and while the price is very high on the ship, the biggest problem is she never finished the bottle (I don't drink and she only has a drink or two from the bottle each day/evening). That then makes the price even worse.

So I have a question, Idea;

Would anyone want to SHARE a bottle of rum or other spirit purchased on the ship? We would buy the bottle and we would pour our part in our rum runner or other container and you can have the bottle with your half.

What do you think of the idea?

Nope.

The current price of a bottle of Bacardi rum ordered through Bon Voyage is $75. If your DW only drinks one or two drinks a day on a 5 days sailing, she is better off just ordering from the bar isn't she? DH and I did it one time on a 6 days cruise. It would have been cost effective if we both liked the same thing, but funny how it never works out that way. We asked if we could take it home and was told no, so our room steward was extremely grateful!:p

We asked if we could take it home and was told no, so our room steward was extremely grateful!

[FYI: turquoise on white is difficult to read]

You were told wrong.

There's no reason why you can't take BV liquor home.

If flying, carry it in your checked baggage. If driving then it doesn't matter. IMHO there's no need to declare to customs since you bought it while in the US. Carry a printed copy of your email confirmation and keep the delivery receipt just in case.

Props to the room steward if it was he or she who said you couldn't bring the liquor home! LOL

I'm not sure that you can take opened bottles home or not (I guess if you don't get caught you can). I have seen people open their bottles that they bought in ports and they had to leave them as they debarked, but maybe they had too many and didn't want to pay duty.

The current price of a bottle of Bacardi rum ordered through Bon Voyage is $75. If your DW only drinks one or two drinks a day on a 5 days sailing, she is better off just ordering from the bar isn't she? DH and I did it one time on a 6 days cruise. It would have been cost effective if we both liked the same thing, but funny how it never works out that way. We asked if we could take it home and was told no, so our room steward was extremely grateful!:p

Who told you that you can't take it home? Someone told you wrong. I've always taken it home. You paid for it, you can take it home.

I'm not sure that you can take opened bottles home or not (I guess if you don't get caught you can). I have seen people open their bottles that they bought in ports and they had to leave them as they debarked, but maybe they had too many and didn't want to pay duty.

Who on the ship is checking? We opened one of our bottles that we had purchased through Duty Free which was delivered the night before. It went into the luggage with the other bottles (and was declared on the Customs form, but if we brought any of the BV liquor home it would not have been declared because that was purchased pre-cruise).

It was probably Customs. When we left Valor a few years ago people had bought duty free liquor (the big bottles) and had them in those boxes they give you. You could see that they were cracked open with a few sips out of them. They was a pile of them in the line when you get off the ship. Maybe they thought they were going to have to pay duty or weren't going to be able to get on a plane, but they were left behind or confiscated.

Bought a bottle of Don Julio on BV and never opened it. Probably the most expensive bottle of tequila I ever bought ($100). I put it in check bags, used luggage express, never declared it (since I bought it in the US), and never a problem. Still haven't open it as it's sitting on the bar about to be opened.

By the end of my cruise, alcohol is the last thing I want to take back home with me. Crazy as it may sound, I always leave it for my cabin steward. More often than not they tell me 'yes, I'll take it. Thanks!'.;)

Edited by cruisemama1