New to Celebrity have some ?

Sandi149

Hi everyone!

I am not new to cruising but new to Celebrity and have some questions. I found a great deal for a 7 night cruise to Bermuda in June with a balcony cabin on the Summit. I don't know much about Celebrity except that I heard its a really great cruiseline. I have taken a few cruises, 2 of my last ones were on Carnival. Now I know Celebrity is upscale and Carnival isn't. Please no bashing as I had fun on that line and would cruise them again. Anyway, I just want to know if it's worth it to go to those "extra priced" restaurants as I see there are many. How is the food in the main dining room? What type of little extras does Celebrity do compared to other cruise lines?

Any input is appreciated!:)

Thanks!

Sandi, you will find they are more alike than different. Little touches like the restricted smoking policy, less anouncements, pool games, ect. The speciality resturants are very good for special occasions (sp) the MDR is very good, IOHO, and the buffet selections are good also.

Edited by wallie5446

Sandi, you will find they are more alike than different. Little touches like the restricted smoking policy, less anouncements, pool games, ect. The speciality resturants are very good for special occasions (sp)

Thank you for your reply Wallie!

How formal do they dress? I figure there would be 1 formal night which is fine. What about the other nights? I would never wear jeans in the dining room but would capris and a nice blouse with a pair of sandals be ok and dockers and a shirt for my husband?

That's good about the no smoking policy because I am an ex smoker and don't like to be around smoke!

Have you ever cruised on the Summit?

How formal do they dress? I figure there would be 1 formal night which is fine. What about the other nights? I would never wear jeans in the dining room but would capris and a nice blouse with a pair of sandals be ok and dockers and a shirt for my husband?

That's good about the no smoking policy because I am an ex smoker and don't like to be around smoke!

Your profile pic is perfect! and what you describe is just what the Dr ordered! Again, the two are more alike than different.

We have not sailed the Summit, but have friends who love it!

471924406_regnite1.jpg.7e7bca3f19a2e105c412eadb305c9f97.jpg

1284343852_reg2.jpg.46e33c45e94c03bff3c8393fd0665d0f.jpg

1507979107_1stformal.jpg.51cad4ced5f7effd6bfa7a43963f5b62.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

Yes that dress code is fine and some do wear jeans in the dining room. They ask for men to have a collar on their top so a polo or shirt. Capris are fine too

The food is really good in the MDR but its sometimes worth treating yourself to the others as some of them are outstanding

I think there are two formal nights on a 7 night cruise. There were some people dressed to the hilt all the way down to the guy beside us who was wearing a sport coat, polo shirt, dress pants and some grungy sandals on formal night. I usually wear whatever I would wear to my husband's office Christmas party. He wears a dark suit. Most people seemed to dress nicely on non-formal nights, i.e. nice top and pants. My husband wore dress pants and a shirt. We saw capris, sandals, sundresses, pant suits....nothing slobby though. Most people seemed to make some kind of effort. The clothes you are describing sound perfect.

I hope you have a good time. We enjoy Celebrity. Some people say it's boring and there are no late evening activities, but there are some. Everything's listed in the dailies. The revelations lounge has dancing every night. We also had fun at the martini bar. The flair bartenders were a lot of fun.

Yes that dress code is fine and some do wear jeans in the dining room. They ask for men to have a collar on their top so a polo or shirt. Capris are fine too

The food is really good in the MDR but its sometimes worth treating yourself to the others as some of them are outstanding

Well if we do one of those extra restaurants, it would probably be only one night as then the price can add up and the food in the dining room would be just fine!

Oh btw, is the Wifi free?

I think there are two formal nights on a 7 night cruise. There were some people dressed to the hilt all the way down to the guy beside us who was wearing a sport coat, polo shirt, dress pants and some grungy sandals on formal night. I usually wear whatever I would wear to my husband's office Christmas party. He wears a dark suit. Most people seemed to dress nicely on non-formal nights, i.e. nice top and pants. My husband wore dress pants and a shirt. We saw capris, sandals, sundresses, pant suits....nothing slobby though. Most people seemed to make some kind of effort. The clothes you are describing sound perfect.

I hope you have a good time. We enjoy Celebrity. Some people say it's boring and there are no late evening activities, but there are some. Everything's listed in the dailies. The revelations lounge has dancing every night. We also had fun at the martini bar. The flair bartenders were a lot of fun.

I didn't book it yet....I txted my husband and he hasn't answered yet so I'm hoping to book it this week.

How is the food on the Lido deck (is that what they call that deck?). We wouldn't have to dress up there, if we wanted to have dinner up there one night, would we?

The buffet area is casual. We ate there a couple of times after we were too exhausted from our excursions to sit up straight and look alert. :) I thought the food there was pretty good. Make sure you try a croissant in the morning (if you end up booking). The Summit had the best ones ever.

Have sailed the Summit to Bermuda in June 2013 and June 2012.

Its a lovely ship, just the right size, with a wonderful crew.

We enjoyed both cruises very much and it has become one of our favorites.

On this cruise there are two formal nights and if things havent changed, they will be on Monday night and Friday night and it is what it says...formal, although some people do not follow the wishes of the cruise line.

The only places that formal attire is not required at any time is in Blu (the dining room for passengers in Aqua class cabins) or in any of the speciality restaurants, so you may wish to do a specialty if you dont want to go formal.

There are 3 "extra pay" restaurants on the Summit.

The Normandie which I think is up to $45pp

Qsine, same as above

Bistro on 5, which is $5pp

IMHO, all well worth a trip.

The main dining room is very good too, so if you don't have any plans to eat elsewhere, I'm sure you will be happy having your meals there.

Wi-fi is not free, they sell packages in the I-Lounge

Edited by CruisersTimesThree
add info

Well if we do one of those extra restaurants, it would probably be only one night as then the price can add up and the food in the dining room would be just fine!

Oh btw, is the Wifi free?

WiFi is definitely NOT free (unfortunately). Think 75¢/min, or less if you buy a package.

In terms of dining, I believe Summit has The Normandie (which is like Murano on S-Class ships and S.S. United States on Infinity) and Qsine.

Qsine is great fun, especially in a group, and involves lots of little 'tapas-style' dishes from around the world. It's relaxed and fun, and the servers are great and happily suggest lots of different dishes for you to try. Super creative food!

The Normandie is a contemporary French restaurant and, IMO, one of the best i the Celebrity fleet. If I could only eat in one speciality restaurant, this would be it. The food is just outstanding. I don't know what The Normandie dining room is like, as I've only use Murano on Eclipse and S.S.United States on Infinity, but the menus and food are identical and absolutely worth a visit.

They often have discounts if you talk to them when you board, so you should be able to get a reduction in the cover charge for these venues. If you can, try both!

Also, don't forget Bistro on 5. It's a casual lunch spot (perfect for embarkation day) serving fresh crêpes (sweet and savoury). Eat as many of them as you want (you could have three courses if you wanted!) It has a cover charge of only $5 per person and, IMO, worth every cent!

I hope this helps. I haven't sailed with Carnival, so I can't compare (I'd like to though, for the entertainment) but I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise with Celebrity :)

We love the Summit and had a great New England Cruise. Unfortunately teh internet is not free on the ship. There are several package prices. As you gain status on Celebrity, they offer different free internet packages. You will find free internet at many of the ports when you can pull in all of your emails and send all of the ones you have written and are ready to go Enjoy your cruise