Just back from Sensation...Costa Maya and Coz

kthill

Just back from our cruise on the Sensation with my DH, DS15 and DS19. We had a great time and can't wait to go again. I will try a quick review and if anyone has questions please ask.

We drove to NOLA from AR. Spend one night at Maison St Charles in the Garden District. They had a cruise package of 89.00, parking $7 1st night, $5 ea addtl night and free ride to pier. Very friend people, hotel is a group of restored historic homes. Our room was older but all new carpet, bedding etc. Street car right in front of hotel. We purchased day passes for $5 each and went to the Riverwalk for lunch and shopping, then to the Aquarium, then French Quarter and dinner at Deanie's for seafood. Great day.

Embarkation took about 30 minutes but not bad at all. Dropped our carryons off in our cabin and then to the Seaview for lunch and to watch us depart NOLA. The lifeboat drill took a long time. They actually had us go to the boats from our muster stations. For all the cruises we have been on we have never done that.

Day at sea was nice and smooth sailing. Did learn that next year we will have to bring our DS's girlfriends/families or put a max on their Sail and Sign cards. They found the Interent Cafe and used IM too much. As soon as we entered the Mississippi on our return they along with every other teenager were out on deck using their cell phones. :rolleyes:

Costa Maya replaced our Calica port of call and it was great! It is so pretty. I know many people don't like this "made for cruise ship" port but we loved it! We had planned on doing a little shopping and then taking a cab to a beach and maybe Pez Quardo as recommended on this board but we didn't make it that far. We decided to get some lunch at the pier at Mamasita's and Victor gave us a table right at the edge of the huge pool/bar. There was great music, and all kinds of entertainment. ;) Victor kept the food and drinks coming and before we knew it it was time to get back on the ship.

Cozumel was a pleasant surprise after being just a week or so after Emily. You can tell they have worked very hard to clean up. Our DS's wanted to try Mr Sanchos this year so we did. The water was beautiful, sandy and clear! Probably not the best for snorkeling but we weren't there for that. Food and drinks were good. One recommendation, take enough cash, we ran out of cash and they couldn't take credit cards because of phone line problems still.

Debarkation was so easy. They had the Self Assist or Relaxed Debarkation. We had too many heavy bags and decided not to do the Self Assist. Glad we did. The lines for the Self Assist were long and crowded. With the Relaxed Debarkation we went to one of the lounges and waited. They had TV on for the kids and called us off about 8:30am. We walked off in a fairly fast moving line, found our bags and a taxi back to the hotel. We were in our car and on our way home by 9:15! It couldn't have been easier.

We loved the Sensation. There are minor differences between it and the Holiday such as the Holiday would begrudgingly give "kiddie size" glasses of pop for the Fountain cards, Sensation gave large glasses and were very friendly when doing so. The performers and shows were better on the Sensation too.

If you would like to see our photos I will post a link. Or if you have any questions I have some Capers and Shore Excursion price lists as well.

Oh it's hard to be back. ;)

Glad to see you enjoyed your cruise even with the changed internary. Sensation is a fun ship. And Costa Maya, been there twice & have never made it past the pool in the center of town. We have so much fun three, no need to go any further. :D

Costa Maya replaced Calica because of hurricane Emily damage to the Calica pier. They expect to be back to Calica for a port soon but gave no dates. We did miss our shore excursion that was booked for Xcaret but Xcaret was closed too because of hurricane damage so just as well.

What did Costa Maya replace Calica? Hurricane damage there?

KTHILL-

THank you so much for your review. SOunds great! I would love to see your pictures...can you post the link or do you want me to email you?

What cabin did you have? I assume it was clean and comfortable? I have read they have new duvets.,etc?

Food...good? I am not picky and as long as someone else is cooking I will be happy, but I didn't find the food that great on Holiday. LOVED food on Conquest and RCI Mariner.

Much movement on the ship? I don't get sick easily and I am hoping the girls I am taking along with me don't either.

Most passengers pretty "well behaved"? Never had a problem except on the Holiday and there was some HUMONGOUS running club that was way too boistrous. Hope that is not the way shorter cruises "are".

I think we may try Mr. Sancho's,too. Any problem finding chairs and umbrellas?

THANKS!!!

Thanks, kt. We are scheduled to go the same cruise on 12/26. Actually, I think I'd personally rather stop where you did, though I suppose all damage will be repaired by Decemember. My only real concern would be having excursions already planned. Glad it worked out for you.

Here is the link for our pictures. Let me know if it works for you.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kthill0

KTHILL-

THank you so much for your review. SOunds great! I would love to see your pictures...can you post the link or do you want me to email you?

What cabin did you have? We were in cabin R166

I assume it was clean and comfortable? Very clean and even comfortable for the 4 of us.

I have read they have new duvets.,etc? The duvets were very nice and I think we had new mattresses. When we were boarding we could see old mattresses in trash bins.

Food...good? Food was good. Our DSs didn't seem to like it as much this year but they are extremely picky. Then ended up getting chicken nuggets some nights.

I am not picky and as long as someone else is cooking I will be happy, but I didn't find the food that great on Holiday. LOVED food on Conquest and RCI Mariner.

Much movement on the ship? Our cabin was lowest level, mid-ship and we have very little movement. We could tell a big difference from being in the show lounges and then going to our cabin. A lot of movement in the lounges and upper decks. I was worried about having a lower cabin but it turned out to be an advantage.

I don't get sick easily and I am hoping the girls I am taking along with me don't either.

Most passengers pretty "well behaved"? For having so many passengers on board, everyone seemed really nice. Many kids and they all seemed really well behaved. Even a lot of strollers with babies. In fact, I never even heard any babies crying, guess they had a great time too.

Never had a problem except on the Holiday and there was some HUMONGOUS running club that was way too boistrous. Hope that is not the way shorter cruises "are".

I think we may try Mr. Sancho's,too. Any problem finding chairs and umbrellas? We got to Mr Sanchos very early, maybe 9:30 or 10am. Had our pick of chairs and tables. To be honest though, I think the service at Paradise Beach is far better. The water and sandy were great at Mr Sanchos but next time we would probably go back to Paradise or even try Nachi Cocom.

Hope this helps.

THANKS!!!

VERY GOOD! Sounds like a great time for everyone! Do you think the water is as nice at PB as Mr. S? They aren't that far apart,are they? If not, then I wouldn't think there would be much difference...and if service is better at PB, then we can plan on going there...

Thanks for answering all my questions!

kt- GREAT pictures! THose were some of the best I have seen of the Sensation! THANK YOU!

Mr. Sanchos doesn't seem to have many lounge chairs...mostly table and chairs to eat at....were the lounge chairs in a different part?

The lounge chairs were definitely better at PB. Mr Sanchos was mostly patio table and chairs and the lounge chairs were those hard plastic kind.

I know beaches can change day to day and we really like the water, sand bottom and beach better at Mr Sanchos but at PB everything else was better, service, lounge chairs, food, etc. If we would have had more cash we would have gone on to PB after Mr. Sanchos. We spent about $80 on food, drink and of course my required massage and we needed cash for the cab ride back to the pier. :D

kt- GREAT pictures! THose were some of the best I have seen of the Sensation! THANK YOU!

Mr. Sanchos doesn't seem to have many lounge chairs...mostly table and chairs to eat at....were the lounge chairs in a different part?

I was leary of port changes because of all the hurricanes already this year. I booked our Calica excursions through Carnival on purpose and it turned out to be a good move. Since Calica was canceled Carnival has already credited our excursion to Xcaret back to us. Alls good. :D

Thanks, kt. We are scheduled to go the same cruise on 12/26. Actually, I think I'd personally rather stop where you did, though I suppose all damage will be repaired by Decemember. My only real concern would be having excursions already planned. Glad it worked out for you.

Well a few questions.....

How much was cab fare in New orleans from pier back to hotel,

and cab fare in port?? What time did you embark? You said there was a short wait just wondering what time. How long was the Muster drill you said reallyl ong?

Price of Tulum excusions from Calica, assuming I get to Calica.

How about dinner how were men dressed on nights that weren't formal?

Thanks alot

Well a few questions.....

How much was cab fare in New orleans from pier back to hotel,

and cab fare in port?? There were 4 of us so it was 28.00. We were told that New Orleans has imposed new cab fare requirements, 7.00 per person if more than 2 people. It was posted on and inside the cab so we figured it was legit. When we booked the hotel in February they told us it would be only 10.00. I suppose we could have sent my husband with the cab for 10.00 and then have him come back to the pier with our car to pick us up but I think the extra cost was worth the time and effort we saved plus the cab driver gave us good directions on how to get back on the highway home.

What time did you embark? We left our hotel at 11:30am, last year I think we got to the port about 11:00 am so maybe getting to the port later put us farther back in line to board. This year we weren't as close to the front of the line for getting on the ship but it was a bigger ship and more people this year.

You said there was a short wait just wondering what time.

How long was the Muster drill you said really long? We had to be in our muster station by 3:30 with our life jackets. Our location was in the Kaliedescope lounge. We sat in there for about 25 minutes and the we proceded out on deck to our assigned life boat and had to wait there for about 20 minutes. Not sure what took so long, it seemed like the crew was doing something but not sure what. It was about 100 degrees in New Orleans that day and many people were not dressed to be standing outside that long. Our crew member kept appologizing for the wait.

Price of Tulum excusions from Calica, assuming I get to Calica. I only have the Tulum excursion cost from Cozumel since we didn't get to Calica. The Mayan Ruins of Tulum is 7 hours, and 79.00 per person from Cozumel. This would require a ferry ride so maybe it's higher than from Calica.

How about dinner how were men dressed on nights that weren't formal? We saw men in suits, they looked very nice, and others in dress pants and shirts or polos. My DH and DSs wore khakis or similar with button shirts or polos.

Hope this helps.

Thanks alot

one more thing is the tempature of the room under your control on the sensation? or is it to old and controlled somewhere else? also hwo much space for stuff in the bathroom? Do I need a over the door shoe holder thing?

Unless it has been changed, you control the amount of air flowing through the vents but not the tempature. Of course I like my rooms at or near freezing so they work well for me.:)

I think there was a control in the middle of the ceiling but we never felt a need to change the temperature. It felt a little cool during the night but the big comforters helped with that. Not much space in the bathroom, I do think there was medicine cabinet space but we didn't use it. There was plenty of shelf space in one of the closests where the small safe was.

one more thing is the tempature of the room under your control on the sensation? or is it to old and controlled somewhere else? also hwo much space for stuff in the bathroom? Do I need a over the door shoe holder thing?

Just finished our Sensation cruise to nowhere a couple weeks ago.....ooh....that Greg Hutson is a hotty....LOL! He is SO cute.....24 y.o. dd loved to just watch him on stage....he really didn't have to say anything....LOL!

KT...let me just say that I'm terribly jealous of y'all being able to go into ports....sigh! We WILL use our 1/2 off cruise on the Sensation again in the next few months AFTER hurricane season.

KT- thanks for the great review!!

My family will be on this cruise in mid-November.

Just a few questions about the hotel since I am undecided if I want to stay in town or in the suburbs.

You stated that the hotel was older- but is it clean?

Especially the bathroom.

Was the parking area at the hotel fenced and secure?

Thanks-Anne

KTHill, Would you please discuss the nightly on-board entertainment and your dinner seating time? What time was your seating and did you have any trouble attending shows? I ask because 9 of us will be in our family group. Eight of us wanted the later, 8ish, serving but my MIL insists on the early seating as she fears she will miss shows by eating late. Trying to obviate these fears if I can! If not, will defer to her.

KT Hill - we were on the same cruise. I loved your pictures! We, too, had a fabulous time. There were 17 of us in our group from age 8 to 67. All had a great time doing their own thing. You are right, the shows were fantastic and the staff was superb. I will definitely sail on the Sensation again. I just hated coming back home and going back to work today. Sigh.... it makes those pictures that more special. Memories!

This whole thread just made my day.What great pictures and all the possitive feedback about the Sensation gave me such a lift before I head out to work this morning.All my questions are slowly being answered as the days pass and I keep reading this site.Going 26/12/05 between Xmass and New Years.Thanks Again everyone.

I would be interested in seeing the capers you have. We're scheduled to go to Cozumel on Sensation 2/2/06. Since this will be our 1st cruise we'd kinda like to see the activities offered onboard. Also, according to Carnival there are 30 or more excursions offered in Cozumel but when I enter by booking # they only give me 12 choices (none of which we want to do). Is this common? Do they add more excursions the closer we get to departure? Or does this mean everythings booked? Any advice would be appreciated.

Archived