Cinco de mayo

MrMike45

Leaving for Bermuda on Sunday on the breakaway. Just realized that Monday will be May 5th/Cinco de Mayo.

Has anyone cruised during this time, ncl specifically I guess. Do they do anything special? Specialized party for that night. Or maybe half priced coronas or tequila :D

We're were staying at a very nice resort in Riviera Maya last year, and they did NOTHING! Apparently, it' s'more of a big deal in the US than it is in Mexico. I asked some staff about it, and they said it's mostly just a regular day. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nothing really. But I assume cruises that take place over Halloween, they have a Halloween costume party. And cruises that take place over St. Patty's Day, they have "green" party. Bermuda/Carib have nothing to do with either of them. Just figured they might have a party based on Cinco de Mayo.

Living a few miles from the Mexican border, I can tell you it is much bigger along the border states (U.S. States) than in Mexico. Here is some info:

Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a celebration held on May 5. It is celebrated primarily in the United States[1]. There is a similar celebration in parts of Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla,[note 1][2][3][4] where the holiday is called El Día de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).[5][6][7]

It originated with Mexican-American communities in the American West as a way to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War,[8][9] and today the date is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.[10] In the state of Puebla, the date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.[3][11] Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico—which is celebrated on September 16.[3][12]

Not much chance it will be celebrated on the ship.:(