Brit needs help Jacksonville to Port Canaveral

heatherbelle

How long does it take to drive from Jacksonville airport to Port Canaveral? We will be flying in Friday from the UK to take a cruise on the Saturday.bso ideally need a place to stay too, not sure if it will be better to stay near the airport or drive straight down to Port Canaveral depending how long it would take.

Can anyone also recommend car hire companies that have both pick ups and drop offs at different places too we will need a people carrier as there are 6 of us.

I'd say the drive is closer to 2.5 hours if traffic is good. I've done it in 2 hours but that was doing 85 mph the entire way. As long as you are doing atleast the 70 mph speed limit, you'll get there in 2.5 hours.

Definitely rent a car. I know it can seem intimidating in another country but it's literally all highway. A big SUV / van will run around $100 for one day . . . or you can get 2 small cars for about $60 (remember you still pay for gas).

Good thing about a car rental is you can stay anywhere in between Jacksonville and Port Canaveral. Personally I believe it's better to be closer the morning of your cruise . . . I am not a fan of 2 hour drives the morning of . . . . but after a long flight from the UK, it's perfectly understandable if you just want something near Jacksonville airport to relax for the night and then drive in the morning. Either way is fine . . it's up to you. I would factor in avoiding Friday afternoon traffic if getting in around the early afternoon. Saturday morning traffic will more than likely be light, definitely lighter than Friday afternoon so take that into consideration.

When you drop the rental off in Port Canaveral in the morning, they will have a free shuttle to the port.

I'd suggest the Titusville area if just looking for an overnight place to sleep. They tend to have cheaper hotels than the Port Canaveral area, some with better quality and it's only a 30 minute drive from the port. If you want to be on the beach, you can always try Daytona/New Smyrna. Pretty cool that you can actually drive on the beach in these areas. This is roughly an hour from the port.

Edited by kdawg954

I would say it is a 3-4 hours drive. St Augustine is just past Jacksonville and is a nice place to stay overnight especially after a long flight. You can get up the next morning refreshed and be at the ship in time for lunch. I have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn and the Hampton Inn there.

However why not fly into Orlando? It is much closer to Port Canaveral.

Edited by Marie51

Thanks for the replies, that's very helpful. Sadly Orlando prices are not within my budget. Direct from the UK $1800 dollars in economy, even one way you are taking around $1300. Jacksonville is a lot cheaper as it's less popular.

I think we will go down the driving part way when we land staying overnight. We will be awake at around 4.00 am due to the time difference anyway and can beat the traffic and have a look around the port area, maybe stop at fishlips if it's open or somewhere similar.

Thanks for the replies, that's very helpful. Sadly Orlando prices are not within my budget. Direct from the UK $1800 dollars in economy, even one way you are taking around $1300. Jacksonville is a lot cheaper as it's less popular.

I think we will go down the driving part way when we land staying overnight. We will be awake at around 4.00 am due to the time difference anyway and can beat the traffic and have a look around the port area, maybe stop at fishlips if it's open or somewhere similar.

Ok a good place to stop is St Augustine or Palm Coast.

How long does it take to drive from Jacksonville airport to Port Canaveral? We will be flying in Friday from the UK to take a cruise on the Saturday.bso ideally need a place to stay too, not sure if it will be better to stay near the airport or drive straight down to Port Canaveral depending how long it would take.

You are looking at about 175 miles of driving. I urge you to drastically curtail your driving on the day you land at JAX. It is simply not safe (because of fdatigue & jet lag) for you and for all the other drivers. Anywhere in Jacksonville (Southside) or just outside St. Augustine along I-95 would make sense. Although it would be great to see the historic district of St. Augustine, you simply would not have enough time. If you do opt for near St. Augustine, there are several motels near the outlet malls at State Road 16. The I-95 exit guide may possibly help you make a choice. http://www.i95exitguide.com/

Wow where do you get 5hrs yeah if you drive like a snail it's exactly 2hrs 15minutes I make the drive weekly from jax

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yea I remember when I was younger I did a drive from Fort Lauderdale to Savannah, Georgia in just over 5 hours (was doing 85+ a good portion of the way at night so no traffic) . . . Port Canaveral to Jacksonville in 5 hours would be real slow . . . in fact the police may pull you for going that slow on I-95.