Disembarkation in Barcelona...is 10:40 AM too early?

We are considereing the Voyager 7night European cruise and was looking at the flight to Barcelon. Delta has direct flights each way out of JFK, but the return flight is at 10:40 AM. Is this too early? We are diamond members, so we will be one of the first ones off, but is it enough time to get to the airport and get checked in and through security?

I hope not since that's the flight we're on. When I originally booked it, the flight was sched. for 1:58 PM. After buying the tickets, they changed it to 10:40.

Orignially I was very concerned. Several people on this forum have told me that's one of the flights that RCI uses when it books flights for passnegers and that it's been held in the past because of all the RCI passnegers needing to make that flight. I'm not holding my breath on Delta holding any flight though. Unfortunately, if missed this seems to be Delta's only flight departing from Barcelona, so I'm assuming I'd have to spend the night and hope for an empty seat the next day.

I have also been told that, barring anything going wrong, passengers begin disembarkation around 7:30 and that the pier is not very far from the airport. I've also been told that it can be a problem getting a taxi and that it's not very well organized at the pier.

I'm not 100% what we'll do and plan on talking to the pursers after we get onboard. My initial thought is to have a large denomination Euro bill to wave at the taxi drivers to get us to the airport. It might cost extra but the piece of mind would be worth it.

Debarkation starts at 7:30 and you have to be at the airport 3 hours in advance for international flights. 10:40 seems like it is cutting it close to me, even if people said it has been held in the past.

I hope not since that's the flight we're on. When I originally booked it, the flight was sched. for 1:58 PM. After buying the tickets, they changed it to 10:40.

Orignially I was very concerned. Several people on this forum have told me that's one of the flights that RCI uses when it books flights for passnegers and that it's been held in the past because of all the RCI passnegers needing to make that flight. I'm not holding my breath on Delta holding any flight though. Unfortunately, if missed this seems to be Delta's only flight departing from Barcelona, so I'm assuming I'd have to spend the night and hope for an empty seat the next day.

I have also been told that, barring anything going wrong, passengers begin disembarkation around 7:30 and that the pier is not very far from the airport. I've also been told that it can be a problem getting a taxi and that it's not very well organized at the pier.

I'm not 100% what we'll do and plan on talking to the pursers after we get onboard. My initial thought is to have a large denomination Euro bill to wave at the taxi drivers to get us to the airport. It might cost extra but the piece of mind would be worth it.

Did you book your airfare through RCL or on your own?

We made the 10:40 flight with no problem. You could actually get off the ship earlier than 7:30 am. We booked it ourselves, took a taxi and got there way earlier than the first RCL bus.

OleMissMom

Thanks - were you worried that you wouldn't make the flight at all?

A wee thought to consider folks.....it has been the Splendour and Brilliance that have in the past been at Barcelona ....will it be different with the Voyager?...being a bigger ship etc...more people....perhaps different docking time....?

Good luck

Liz

A wee thought to consider folks.....it has been the Splendour and Brilliance that have in the past been at Barcelona ....will it be different with the Voyager?...being a bigger ship etc...more people....perhaps different docking time....?

Good luck

Liz

Good Point!! The airfare right now is cheaper through RCl, but the hotels for the prestay are outragous!!!!

My wife and I were on 6/29 Brilliance and had no problem making the 10:40.

They ask you on the ship what time your flight is and give you tags accordingly. We were at the airport and waiting after checking in for an hour before the flight.

Jack

My wife and I were on 6/29 Brilliance and had no problem making the 10:40.

They ask you on the ship what time your flight is and give you tags accordingly. We were at the airport and waiting after checking in for an hour before the flight.

Jack

Ok - Thanks that makes me feel better!

You might make it... you might not. I've flown to the US from Barcelona a half dozen times on Delta and there's no way I'd take that chance, whether the cruise line made the reservation or I did it on my own.

First, there is the matter of clearing the ship. If there's a delay, no one gets off until it's cleared. Then there is the transportation situation--sometimes there are a lot of taxis, but not always. You're better off if you have arranged for a car to be waiting there for you. The traffic in Barcelona can also be horrific. Granted, the ride to the airport can be less than an hour, but it can also be longer if you are stuck in traffic.

The airport can also be a stumbling block. We've been there before the gates even opened and there was already a line. Depending on the other travelers, the lines can move swiftly or at a crawl.

JMHO, but rather than being stressed about whether I was going to miss my flight due to a delay, I'd debark at a leisurely pace and check into a hotel, see some of the sights, and leave the next day.

If you do miss your flight on debarkation day, it could take several days to get rebooked for home... there are less flights available now than in years past and they are often overbooked.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

JMHO, but rather than being stressed about whether I was going to miss my flight due to a delay, I'd debark at a leisurely pace and check into a hotel, see some of the sights, and leave the next day.

If you do miss your flight on debarkation day, it could take several days to get rebooked for home... there are less flights available now than in years past and they are often overbooked.

Thanks - I think this is what we are going to end up doing. Still doing the research though!

Do you have any hotel suggestions?

RCI booked us on KLM flight that leaves at 10:35 AM. I had originally requested a later flight (custom air) but RCI wanted more $$ for it and recommended the earlier flight. I was concerned but they said it was not a problem since we should be off the ship by 7 AM with the earliest departure tags. RCI also said they would book us on another flight if we get held up for any reason and miss this flight. Now I am wondering if that is true. Anyone who missed their flight know?

Can someone tell me what is the latest time passengers have been able to disembark BOS. We have a 1 PM flight and I am trying to arrange for ground transportation that won't have us waiting around too long at the airport before we can check our bags (2 hrs. before flight). Thanks for your help.

I was on the Brilliance 6-17 cruise and also had a Delta flight. My flight was at 1:05. We took RCI shuttle and made it in plenty of time, but the airport was an absolute madhouse:eek: . We all stood in the Delta line for over an hour, waiting to be checked in for our flight.

Carrie

we too are doing this cruise next May. We chose the flights thru RCL; will we be able to fly in 1 day early and book hotel on our own? I too think the hotels thru RCL are way over priced. we are platinum members and i was also wondering about custom air fees and what custom air entails? Thanks, Angel:)

FrankiesMom

I agree that RCCL pre-stay hotel rates are way overpriced. They wanted over $300 per person for a 2 night stay at hotel that I could get for $140 night for both of us.

You can fly in a day early and book your own hotel by using an air deviation. You will have to pay the difference in airfare, if any, plus a $75 fee unless you are a platnium C&A member in which case the $75 fee will be waived. Have you looked for airfare on your own? We were able to find air one way to Barcelona for our transatlantic this Nov for $300 per person less than RCCL was charging.

FrankiesMom

I agree that RCCL pre-stay hotel rates are way overpriced. They wanted over $300 per person for a 2 night stay at hotel that I could get for $140 night for both of us.

You can fly in a day early and book your own hotel by using an air deviation. You will have to pay the difference in airfare, if any, plus a $75 fee unless you are a platnium C&A member in which case the $75 fee will be waived. Have you looked for airfare on your own? We were able to find air one way to Barcelona for our transatlantic this Nov for $300 per person less than RCCL was charging.

We are diamond members. What is the air deviation? We would like to book air & transfers through RCL, but hotel on our own. I would like to fly in the day before and then stay 1 day after. Will rcl let us do that? I plan on booking when we are onboard on the Adventure next month, so I want to make my list of questions!!

We made that flight a couple of years ago, but it was a nailbiter. We had very rough seas on the last night of our cruise, and the Barcelona port authority would not let us into port, so we bobbed around like a giant apple for four hours, finally reaching the dock at about 9 instead of 5:30 as originally scheduled. It wasn't until 9:30 that they let anybody off, and by then it was just a mad stampede, as there were a good 90 passengers booked on that flight through RCI alone.

We did have the first off white tags, and decided after finding our bags to abandon the RCI transfer in favor of sharing a cab with another couple. DH knows enough Spanish to say "we have a flight at 10:40," to which the cabbie responded, "VAMANOS!" and floored it. We got there in a little over 20 minutes, got checked in, ran for the gate (so much for the Carlos I brandy we were going to pick up in the duty free shop:( ), and flopped into our seats with 10 minutes to spare. Then they announced that they were holding the flight for other passengers. They could only hold the flight for an hour before it would have all kinds of missed connection implications stateside, and at least 30 people didn't make the flight according to the flight attendant.

This year we're staying over a night and flying out on Monday. I just don't want to contemplate that mad dash again!

Just a heads up about getting a taxi at the Barcelona pier.....it was a nightmare if you need a minivan taxi!!

We waited in the "minivan" line for about 40-50 minutes. We weren't in a hurry, so we didn't get off the ship until 9:00 ish, so perhaps those who got off first didn't have such a problem. The line for regular taxis seemed to be moving very fast.

Archived