Amazing Secret River adventurous enough for semi-adreneline junkie?

KatieCharlotte

I rarely book cruiseline excursions, but since my husband won't be cruising and the friends I'm cruising with will probably be doing certified dives in Cozumel, I will be on my own. I think I'll feel better sticking with a Carnival excursion. But, I'd like to find something more adventurous, if that's possible with a large group of fellow cruisers. The Amazing Secret River seems interesting and has very good reviews.

I'm in decent shape thanks to playing sports with my kids, can swim, have hiked a river and rappelled in Central America, and am much more afraid of public speaking than water, close spaces, bats, or spiders. Am I going to find this a cool, challenging adventure?

Edited by KatieCharlotte

• 2 months later...
I rarely book cruiseline excursions, but since my husband won't be cruising and the friends I'm cruising with will probably be doing certified dives in Cozumel, I will be on my own. I think I'll feel better sticking with a Carnival excursion. But, I'd like to find something more adventurous, if that's possible with a large group of fellow cruisers. The Amazing Secret River seems interesting and has very good reviews.

I'm in decent shape thanks to playing sports with my kids, can swim, have hiked a river and rappelled in Central America, and am much more afraid of public speaking than water, close spaces, bats, or spiders. Am I going to find this a cool, challenging adventure?

We did this excursion in April, and I have to tell you it was one of the best we've been on. DO IT! :).

Hubby is adventurous on vacation; I like to lay on the beach. Our compromise is one non-beach day per trip. This was it. We're both active so I wouldn't call this excursion 'challenging' ... but 'cool' is an understatement.

We chose the full day option (Carnival had a secret river OR secret river with shopping). There was still about 45 minutes at the end to shop/wander in Playa del Carmen. Absolutely book through the ship. The ferry got us back to port 30 minutes after all aboard.

The guides were top notch. Very organized excursion. Good lunch afterwards. The caves are amazing! Sometimes you're in ankle deep water, sometimes you can't touch the bottom. I'm terrified of bats, and we saw a couple but they were WAAAAY up at the top of the cave. The tour is quite lengthy (I think about 90 minutes) and the guides show you different types of stalagmite and stalagmite formations along the way. It's a weird, gorgeous world down there. Some tight spaces at times, but you're floating so at least you know you've got room...you're not trying to shimmy under something. I don't like confined spaces and was fine.

One note...no photos allowed, as they have their own dude taking pics. You can buy afterwards. We found it quite pricey and didn't. But keep that in mind for budgeting. It's very dark, the photos you see online are with a massive camera flash. Most times the cave is only lit by the headlamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app