day pack help

casey1989

Hopefully others can be more specific. General thoughts, for what they are worth:

1. Unless you are going on serious day hikes, all you need is a basic backpack that will hold your layers, a snack and a water bottle. I guess "medium."

2. Get something inexpensive, in case it is damaged, lost, stolen or you have to leave it behind.

3. Get something boring - don't call attention to your pack.

4. We get bargain Jansport packs at an outlet mall for cruising. I save my expensive REI daypack for when I'm also strapping on my hiking boots.

I always pack my REI Flash ultralight pack. You can roll it up for packing or turn it inside out and use as a stuff sack. Comfortable to wear and big enough for layers, rain jacket, camera, etc. It has webbing along the back to hang things, like sunscreen, on the outside. Inside pockets help organize small items and there is a pocket if you want to add hydration system. Much more comfortable than one of those string backpacks.

It is 1100 cubic inches (18 liters) and weighs 12 ounces.

Edited by RunnerGirl26.2

I have a nylon soft backpack that we got about 20 years ago. It's a Rick Steves Civita Day pack.

RSK-04050_CivitaPack-packed

You can still buy them. Ours has traveled the world with us. It weighs nothing and is plenty big for a couple sweat shirts, bottled water and a pair of binoculars!

It's just something to hold your wallet, layers, water, snacks, camera, etc so need to get anything fancy or expensive. The most important factor is that it's comfortable on your back or over your shoulder. So try them on.

I've used a cheapo one from Costco for years. Maybe $15. I've dragged it to Alaska a few times, Europe and various places in the US. Love being hands-free.

I also carry a rain poncho in my pack. It takes up little space and if it's raining hard, it protects the pack.