4/27 Sunshine Retailer Therapy 5.0 – Trip & Ship

BSQ

Thank you for your review. I can hardly wait for the Sunshine cruise. You have really started me thinking about a quick pack-n-go cruise to tide me over until January. I'm going to go and check right now. :)

And finally, my favorite place to relax. The Alchemy Bar. deck 5 Aft. What I did not like about this location was being right off ocean plaza. Why? Karaoke and a Band played here. The band was good, but it took away from the intimate ambiance that the Alchemy Bar has on other ships. I generally like the quiet of it, where you can have an easy conversations with your mixologists and fellow travelers.

I haven't ordered off the menu since the first cruise I took with the 2.0 upgrades (Liberty January 2012), and this time was no different. Our Master Mixologists this cruise were Miro and Gabriel. If you think you aren't a Martini drinker, step on up and let one of these guys prepare you a cocktail. You will return time and again.

Retailer Therapy is now in session:

"something spicy, with tequila, not too sweet." (similar to menu item Spicy Chipotle Martini)

njvy.jpg

"I do like pomegranate, but sometimes it's too sour. Not too sweet please. Vodka." Gabriel had to tell me the other ingredient was mango. (closet menu item would be 40 is the new 20)

9ea0.jpg

"how about your take on the restorative basil drop"

i7b9.jpg

"I think I'd like a Moscow Mule. Oh sure, a little different is fine. Yes, I do like grape."

99qw.jpg

turns out I don't like I grape. I like grapes as in the table fruit, but this grape flavored vodka was fake grape like blue grape soda. Miro tried to make me something different, but I kept this one as there was something in it that intrigued my palate. I think this would have been awesome with some strong fresh ginger.

Thank you for your review. I can hardly wait for the Sunshine cruise. You have really started me thinking about a quick pack-n-go cruise to tide me over until January. I'm going to go and check right now. :)

You're welcome! Living fairly close to ports gives us some great get away options. I was having a difficult time figuring out what to do for my much needed vacation, and everything fell into place with this Sunshine sailing. Although sailing the Fascination would have been closer, and I liked that ship just fine, this was the perfect choice to relax and recharge.

Where the magic begins

hqqr.jpg

I kept forgetting to take a picture before taking sips, yes that's black pepper in my drink. I don't like cracked pepper on my food, but I trust Miro. This added a new dimension to my cocktail.

vty5.jpg

a simple dry vodka martini, slightly dirty

88nr.jpg

Gabriel doing a fancy pour on a martini tasting.

3zjl.jpg

The most popular drinks I saw being ordered were the Deal Closer and the Cucumber Sunrise.

a cross being a mint julep and an invigorating mint martini

44tp.jpg

oops. told ya I kept forgetting to take pictures before I took sips.

6ywp.jpg

In all I enjoyed sailing on the Sunshine. The few things I didn't like about the ship were far from deal breakers. I came to relax and forget about the hectic pace of the office.

Debarkation went smoothly in my opinion. Zones 1&2 were platinum and diamond guests. I went down just as zone 2 was finishing up. From the time I stepped out of the elevator in the lobby, debarked, collected my luggage, cleared customs and unlocked my door - 20 minutes had past.

happy, relaxed, quite possibly slightly hung over, I was on the road and back in North Carolina 7 hours later. I hope you have enjoyed reading my version of a cruise vacation.

In all I enjoyed sailing on the Sunshine. The few things I didn't like about the ship were far from deal breakers. I came to relax and forget about the hectic pace of the office.

Debarkation went smoothly in my opinion. Zones 1&2 were platinum and diamond guests. I went down just as zone 2 was finishing up. From the time I stepped out of the elevator in the lobby, debarked, collected my luggage, cleared customs and unlocked my door - 20 minutes had past.

happy, relaxed, quite possibly slightly hung over, I was on the road and back in North Carolina 7 hours later. I hope you have enjoyed reading my version of a cruise vacation.

thank you for the TR. Have been trying to figure out what time to arrive @ the parking garage to be ready to board ASAP using FTTF. Getting conflicting info as to boarding process beginning anywhere from 10:30 - 12:00 pm.:confused: Just don't want to have to wake up any earlier than necessary lol.

Enjoyed and thanks. Like the way you wrote it. We sail on Sunshine end of July so always checking out the reviews as so many wanted to bash her in the beginning and probably now too. Thanks again.

Nice review! Very entertaining!

thank you for the TR. Have been trying to figure out what time to arrive @ the parking garage to be ready to board ASAP using FTTF. Getting conflicting info as to boarding process beginning anywhere from 10:30 - 12:00 pm.:confused: Just don't want to have to wake up any earlier than necessary lol.

I'm sure every cruise can be different, but the calls and e-mails went out a couple days beforehand from Carnival to not show up until 1pm. There were a lot of people waiting by the time I had arrived, but the FTTF people were just being queued up. Personally, I wouldn't rush to get to port, I'd take a leisurely approach. You won't be first on, but even if you are there after the initial FTTF wave, you'll be able to just walk in and onto the ship. Check-in is separate, so you shouldn't have long lines. (I've done FTTF in Miami)

Enjoyed and thanks. Like the way you wrote it. We sail on Sunshine end of July so always checking out the reviews as so many wanted to bash her in the beginning and probably now too. Thanks again.

Welcome & Thanks. I do think some folks take the "critic" part of this forum too seriously. If I truly dislike something I'll say so, but overall when I'm on vacation it's not often I have major complaints.

I had friends that sailed on the Sunshine while it was in Europe and loved it. I introduced them to Miro, they introduced me to the Sunshine. That's what sharing travel experiences is about to me.

Thank you for this, I really enjoyed your writing style and photos. The beer tap looked good , wonder why it was not surrounded by bar fly types ? You would have found me giving it some work to do. Thanks again, cheers, Buzz.

Great review! Thanks for including some new things, like the tea. I have been curious about that and think I may give it a try. I enjoyed your writing style, in your own voice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm sure every cruise can be different, but the calls and e-mails went out a couple days beforehand from Carnival to not show up until 1pm. There were a lot of people waiting by the time I had arrived, but the FTTF people were just being queued up. Personally, I wouldn't rush to get to port, I'd take a leisurely approach. You won't be first on, but even if you are there after the initial FTTF wave, you'll be able to just walk in and onto the ship. Check-in is separate, so you shouldn't have long lines. (I've done FTTF in Miami)

thanks, didn't know about separate lines to checkin

Thank you for this, I really enjoyed your writing style and photos. The beer tap looked good , wonder why it was not surrounded by bar fly types ? You would have found me giving it some work to do. Thanks again, cheers, Buzz.

You're welcome. Perhaps they were more popular if there's a line at the pizza place. Which I never really saw a line for pizza. Maybe the 5-day crowd is more the bucket of beer type.

The wine station in the Library Bar also looked nice.

Cheers!

and incase anyone is wondering, I did not buy the cheers package. When I travel solo I am more cautious in my consumption. Plus, I didn't want a repeat of Retailer Therapy 3.0 which may have involved hugging random strangers. :eek:

Great review! Thanks for including some new things, like the tea. I have been curious about that and think I may give it a try. I enjoyed your writing style, in your own voice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Awesome! Look for tea time to be. On Sea days around 3pm. It will just be a line in the funtimes.

thanks, didn't know about separate lines to checkin

No worries! You'll start in the same line with platinum & diamond when you first go in the door, and they the FTTF line splits off from the Diamond and Platinum. Canaveral seemed pretty well signed for FTTF and organized.

Whoops! Meant to add, as soon as I can round up all the year off bits I'll post the Funtimes from this cruise.

Post vacation re-entry has been rough. 🍸

Influenced by Martinis, read with caution

i will be traveling 5/25 on sunshine with my 13 year old newly diagnosed diabetic grandaughter. if you saved any dinner menus and could post them it would be greatly appreciated. we have to count carbs at every meal in order to administer the proper amt. of insulin and i would like to prepare ahead. thank you

ps great review love it !!!!!!!!

Hi BSQ,

Ann (PeachyBabe from HS) and I still get together (in fact lunch & a movie tomorrow) and she had told me that you took a cruise on the Sunshine. My HS user name is KDeit - don't know if you'll remember me, though.

Bill & I are going on the Sunshine for an 8-day Southern Caribbean cruise and I've been looking for reviews of her and came across yours.

What a great review and your pictures are awesome - just what I was hoping to see!! We also have a spa balcony, although on the 10th deck, not the 11th, but I'm sure the rooms will be the same - I hope ours also has a sliding door - the Dream (the only other ship we've cruised on) has doors that open out and they're HEAVY!!!

Thank you SO much for this review - I'm really getting excited now :-)

Well hey KD! Small world! And yes, I do remember you. :)

I agree with the regular doors, they are heavy and you have to move the chairs around to navigate to the door. Ugh! Deck 10 should be nice for you - if for nothing else, all the elevators go to that deck.

If you like a nice Martini, stop by and say hi to my "therapist" (LOL) Miro. (I think he's on the ship for a couple more months) - Lorraine says hello.

Actually all the Mixologists are really good. I've enjoyed all the cocktails they have made me (which totally makes me sound like a lush, but oh well!)

Hope you have a great time on your cruise!!

Thanks - I'm sure we will have a wonderful time. And it's definitely a small world!!

The only martini I have ever had was when I was 18 (not going to admit how many year ago THAT was) and I thought it was awful, but it was only gin or maybe vodka? And vermouth. I thought I was being very grown-up when I ordered it so I got it down but have never tried one since. However, after looking at your photos, I'll definitely go see your "therapist", tell him you said hello, and then ask him to mix up something sweet and fruity for me :-)

Next time you're in the area, we'll have to get together for lunch or something. Cocoa is about an hour from us.

I don't like Gin so. martini was never my first choice of drinks. I made some friends on my first cruise that got me hooked. It's as if the Alchemy bar was made for us (LOL) :o

As soon as I have my travel plans finalized I'll let Ann know when I'll be in your area (Mid July)