Helicopter tour

elainmir

I'm really looking at the helicopter tour for Grand Turk, has anyone used any of those tour operators? How much was it? I saw one on TA that said they really didn't have that long of a flight time...just trying to figure it out now ...thanks in advance

We booked a few weeks earlier and were cancelled the day of the tour. We found out about the cancellation after arriving in Grand Turk due by cell phone after several vendors told us they were having mechanical issue with the helicopter. I check my cell messages after that. I don't like to turn my cell phone on when on the ship due to the high cost. We did the tram tour to the lighthouse instead and I took the money for the helicopter tour and went to the spa on the ship instead.

We booked a few weeks earlier and were cancelled the day of the tour. We found out about the cancellation after arriving in Grand Turk due by cell phone after several vendors told us they were having mechanical issue with the helicopter. I check my cell messages after that. I don't like to turn my cell phone on when on the ship due to the high cost. We did the tram tour to the lighthouse instead and I took the money for the helicopter tour and went to the spa on the ship instead.

Interesting.... The helicopter has been flying non stop since the new owners have taken over and it's been in operation and I know this because we would use it every time we are in Grand Turk. This is the first time I've heard of mechanical failures.. even now so that they are located directly on the cruise terminal and can be booked directly through the ship we would have known about any mechanical issues. All in all the experience is great every time and the owners along with the staff are always professional.

We were there week of Dec 9, 2013. I have booked about 6 weeks before our cruise. We would love to do a helicopter tour in Grand Turk when we come back in Sept but with 2 adults and 3 kids we are looking at other options. Hopefully next time it is just me and my hubby we will finally get a chance.

I'm really looking at the helicopter tour for Grand Turk, has anyone used any of those tour operators? How much was it? I saw one on TA that said they really didn't have that long of a flight time...just trying to figure it out now ...thanks in advance

Hello I would really recommend the Helicopter is it really good. [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

We were there week of Dec 9, 2013. I have booked about 6 weeks before our cruise. We would love to do a helicopter tour in Grand Turk when we come back in Sept but with 2 adults and 3 kids we are looking at other options. Hopefully next time it is just me and my hubby we will finally get a chance.

New owners have taken over the tours...only recently as of March this year are tours are booked directly with Carnival so I'm guessing you were caught in the middle of a change over... But I have two kids and they so thoroughly would enjoy this tour if I take them so I think you should next time you're in Grand Turk.

SO inquire from your SHore Excursion Desk and let them do the rest.

Hope that helps..

• 2 weeks later...

We were there 1 month ago. Friends of ours booked this excursion for 2 people at $250 total. Carnival listed it as a 24 minute flight, there's was 12 minutes. Also, they were in the copter with 1 other couple. Our friends sat 1 up front, the other in back with a window. The other couple had a window seat and 1 in the middle (terrible view). They complained to Carnival about the flight time, they refunded half of their money for the short flight. They even asked the pilot, he said it was a 12 minute flight, end of story.

Our friends did enjoy it, but wanted the full flight.

• 1 month later...
We were there 1 month ago. Friends of ours booked this excursion for 2 people at $250 total. Carnival listed it as a 24 minute flight, there's was 12 minutes. Also, they were in the copter with 1 other couple. Our friends sat 1 up front, the other in back with a window. The other couple had a window seat and 1 in the middle (terrible view). They complained to Carnival about the flight time, they refunded half of their money for the short flight. They even asked the pilot, he said it was a 12 minute flight, end of story.

Our friends did enjoy it, but wanted the full flight.

I was just looking at this excursion for our upcoming cruise and its listed as an hour flight for $140 a person. I'm curious now, why the changes?

Excursion prices change. The cruiselines have to re-negotiate contracts with the vendors every so often. They aren't locked into them for a decade! It's just supply and demand, after all.

I've seen the photos, and it looks like fun, but not for 12-15 minutes. :eek:

Grand Turk is a very small island. There isn't much to see from the air except The Wall and the beautiful colors of the water.

My daughters and I booked this helicopter tour through Carnival Liberty shore excursions and experienced the flight last week when we were in Grand Turk. Even though the flight time is 12-15 minutes, the views and being able to interact in conversation with the pilot via the head set, made the flight time seem much longer. The memories and the many pictures we took will last us a life time. My husband was an Army helicopter pilot, so I was somewhat familiar with the air craft.

I would recommend this tour even to those who have never flown in a helicopter before. The entire staff, including the pilot, promote safety above everything else. Try it -- You will enjoy the ride.

I've seen the photos, and it looks like fun, but not for 12-15 minutes. :eek:

Grand Turk is a very small island. There isn't much to see from the air except The Wall and the beautiful colors of the water.

And I might add, that if you go to the top deck of your ship, you can see probably 95% of the island. You do miss the overhead views of the water/reefs/salt pond. But it's a high $$$ to pay for a quick glimpse of ocean water, IMO.

• 1 month later...

Today I was browsing through the Grand Turk shore excursions and learned that the price of the Helicopter tour has been reduced from when I booked this tour for my July 2014 cruise. I encourage anyone to consider this shore excursion if they have a cruise port stop in Grand Turk as it makes for a great "bucket list" item (in my opinion).