Train from Villefranche to Nice questions

stefanny28

Hi;

This is our first Europe cruise so we are new at taking the train in Europe.

We want to go from Villefranche to Nice by train for the day.

I saw how to get from the pier to the train station on Tom's ports guide but I have a few other questions.

1/Once I get to the train station, where do I buy the tickets? Is the a counter or an automated machine?

2/Once I have the tickets, do they show which platform to go to wait?

Is there more than one platform?

3/How often is there a train from Villefranche to Nice? If I miss one, how long before the next one? Are the tickets time specified?

4/ Do I need to get the tickets validated? On the train? On the platform?

5/ How do I know when to get off? Are the names of the stations easy to see or they will announce it on a PA system?

Sorry to ask all the questions. To some of you it may be very obvious but since it is our first time taking the train , I just want to be sure.

Thanks

During our Western Mediterranean Cruise on LIBERTY OF THE SEAS this June 2014, we are scheduled to arrive at 7:00 A.M. at the tender port of Villefranche.

Would appreciate receiving information … and any helpful hints … about the tender procedure.

At what time does the tender process begin?

Are there 2 tender stations … one for those on a ship’s excursion … AND … another one for everyone else?

We are a party of 8 going on a private shore excursion and intending to meet our guide on the dock at 7:30 A.M.

Thanks for your help.

1/Once I get to the train station, where do I buy the tickets? Is the a counter or an automated machine? We bought tickets from the counter when we were there a few years ago, they speak very good English as they are used to many cruise ship passengers

2/Once I have the tickets, do they show which platform to go to wait? They will tell you which one - there are only 2 platforms, one going in each direction

Is there more than one platform? This video shows you the station

3/How often is there a train from Villefranche to Nice? If I miss one, how long before the next one? Are the tickets time specified? There are several trains an hour. You can look up trains in this link - make sure you type Villefranche Mer into the departure box http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/?redirect=yes

4/ Do I need to get the tickets validated? On the train? On the platform? From memory I believe you do via a box on the platform

5/ How do I know when to get off? Are the names of the stations easy to see or they will announce it on a PA system? Yes to both - these are very efficient well-run trains, you won't have a problem

Sorry to ask all the questions. To some of you it may be very obvious but since it is our first time taking the train , I just want to be sure.

Thanks

See answers above

Edited to say I just noticed you're from Quebec so probably won't need them to speak English ;)

Edited by Bobal

stefanny28 ~

First, don't worry about asking all your questions - most of us were there at one time!!! We took our first cruise in "modern times" in 2008 and I accidentally discovered Cruise Critic when asking train questions!

As for the train - we did exactly what you want to do in 2008 - I think we bought the tickets at a window - but not sure about the platforms - I'm sure they were marked somehow. just remember that when you get of the tender, if you stand with the water to your back facing the train tracks, Nice is to you left. We may have asked which platform - just know if we could do it anyone can!!! I'm not sure how often the trains run - but if you use the "search this forum" on the upper right hand area and put in "Nice train" you should be able to find more recent info.

Now all that being said, her's something else to think about. What are you planning in Nice? It's a great city - we were there in 2008 for a day during a cruise and then post-cruise spent 4 days there last year. Another mode of transportation goining or returning could be the bus 100. If you check Nice on a google map, it's a distance from the train station to the water - there's also a tram you can take. The bus stops much closer - google it and read about it on Trip Advisor - Google Bus 100 and there's atimetable and map. Just a thought - the bus gives you fantastic views and last year was still one Euro.

Enjoy Nice - don't miss the flower market - fabulous!!!!

tuelia ~ we traveled Celebrity in 2008 so I can't speak for your cruise line but usually the tendering process begin as soon as the ship clears the port process and many times its before the posted time of "arriving". We usually do small group tours - like 8 people - on ocean cruises. We usually all meet and go together to the tender location - you'll probably be given the info in your daily paper. Depending ont he ship's size they may have more than one place - and maybe one just for their tours. Leaving the ship the there's ususally a few tenders and, when one is filled, it takes off and another takes its place. They're pros at getting everyone off ASAP!!

Hope this helps!! Enjoys your trip!!!

When going up the steps to the station, go through the little tunnel under the line. The ticket office is at the top of the steps on the right as you come out of the tunnel. Buy your ticket at the window, they do speak good English. Go back outside and validate your ticket in the little yellow machine on the wall on your right.

Go back down the steps and onto the opposite platform, this is the one for Nice. You will be in a minority as most people will be going to Monaco.

You shouldn't have long to wait as trains run several times an hour.

The stations are well marked and the trains announce the station coming up.

Thank you to all of you.

These are wonderful and detailed infos.

Yes, we do speak French but it still nice to know where you are going and what to expect.

Thanks again to all those who answered.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Villefranche last week on Liberty of the Seas and took the 100 bus to Nice. It was pretty easy to get to Nice by bus and it cannot be more than a ten minute bus ride so I am not sure if there is value to the train unless you want to spend your time closer to the train station. The bus will let you off right at Place Garibaldi (end of the line) and very close to Vieux Nice. By the way, I thought the bus was going to stop at the musee d’art but they drop you off at Garibaldi now, only a block away.

Getting to the bus is pretty easy from VF. There are signs as soon as you exit the tender port in VF to direct you to the bus (go left). There is a nice walk up a twisty road that takes maybe ten minutes. When you arrive at the top of the hill look for the Octavi station on Av. Albert 1e just west of Av du General de Gaulle. It is a confusing 5 sided intersection but there is a Visitor Centre and soccer field on the south side of Albert 1e. You will know it is south because the water and your ship will be behind it. If you take the 100 bus from the south side you will go towards Monte Carlo. Cross the street to take the 100 bus on the north side toward Nice.

The bus stop towards Nice has a large covered waiting area with benches and is to the left of a pharmacy that has a condom vending machine out front. (The things one remembers.) Above the waiting area reads "direction Nice" just small enough to make you miss it. (When we first arrived at Octavi I saw what looked like a bus stop sign on a pole that read Octavi and waited a minute when the 100 bus arrived and drove right by me. This was on the north east side of Albert and de Gaulle. This was not the stop only a cruel decoy. The bus stops about 20 yards to the west after the condom machine.

We were there around 10 am and had to wait about half-hour for the next 100. Don't worry about when to get off as the bus driver will throw you off at Garibaldi anyway.

The bus stop for the return trip to VF was at or about the intersection of Pl. Garibaldi and St-Sebastien near the Musee d’art and a block from where you got off. Since this is the start of the line there were a few buses waiting a nearby. You can get off at Octavi or stay on and go all the way to Monaco. The bus had a tv screen and announced the stops but they come pretty quickly so stay alert.

Bon voyage.