south america airfare

redpear1

We are planning an Antartica cruise leaving Santiago on 22 dec and ending Buenos Aires Jan 11. Does anyone have any knowledge as to Hal airfares. A quick look at air to and from Ottawa Canada around those date are on the expensive side. Can Hal compete?

I'd call and find out what HAL can do for you. I just booked a one way flight to Greece through HAL and their price ran circles around anything I could find myself. I searched numerous websites, including ones mentioned in other threads on this board and their prices were considerably higher (2 to 3 times). I've heard HAL does a good job with one way fares, but not so much with round trips; however, it's only a phone call to find out.

You can find out right away by going on-line if you start the booking process. HAL doesn't make it as easy as Princess, where you can see the air prices and route right away. It will be before you have to enter payment info though, so no commitment.

You have the ability to play with how early you arrive pre cruise and stay post cruise if you wish. They will show up to 50 different routings (some with different fares) each for both restricted and unrestricted fares. I've surprisingly found that often the unrestricted fares (no payment until final cruise payment and much more lenient cancellation policy) are less expensive.

I'd MUCH rather see what is offered myself than hear what some representive reads over the phone. You know they aren't going to read up to 100 different flight choices.

We did this itinerary earlier this year and did book our airfare through HAL. Our TA called us with several flight options and we picked several for pricing. In all cases, HAL pricing was cheaper than booking directly with the airlines. We saved over $1,000 by booking with HAL. Our flights were roundtrip business class from Pittsburgh to Atlanta to Santiago and back from Buenos Aires to Atlanta to Pittsburgh on Delta. For our last several international cruises we have purchased airfare through HAL and saved money in all cases. There is no cost to get a quote before you finalize your transportation plans.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I got a quote from HAL for airfare from YYZ for the same cruise this past year. Our cruise started in Rio though. It was $5600 for 4 people. I was able to do better using Orbitz and get flights from YYZ to IGU to GIG and then SCL to YYZ for the same price as HAL's YYZ to GIG and SCL to YYZ alone. HAL's routing was poor too. I purchased my airfare in September. The best prices and routings were probably in October with Air Canada. American also had good pricing and routings.

We are planning an Antartica cruise leaving Santiago on 22 dec and ending Buenos Aires Jan 11. Does anyone have any knowledge as to Hal airfares. A quick look at air to and from Ottawa Canada around those date are on the expensive side. Can Hal compete?

Like Boulders, we did this cruise last December...it was fabulous!:)

My TA gave me a quote on first/business elite with HAL Air. It was about what I would have paid booking direct with Delta through Atlanta, but it was non refundable (which meant higher trip insurance) but booking direct with Delta I would at least get a voucher. I couldn't select seats with HAL until payment, which made me uneasy. Also there was the question of airline miles.

I ended up booking direct with Delta using miles for my husband's seat, and I paid Delta for mine. My chosen flights worked out fine.

Enjoy the Antarctic experience!

Karen