Float planes/Sea Planes

NotANewCruiser

Disagree with SMeyer - there are big differences.

Seaplane has a boat-hull fuselage, and stabilizing floats on the wings, usually close to the wingtips. Fuselage in direct contact with water.

Floatplane is a land plane modified with floats, attached often to the wings.

Fuselage has no contact with water.

Amphibians can use either land-based strips or water.

sorry they are all planes that can land and take off from water--- that is the definition of a sea plane. The fact that they are different designs doesn't mean they function significantly differently and for what you are going to do there is no functional difference.

floatplane

float·plane [ flṓt plàyn ] (plural float·planes)

noun

seaplane with floats: a seaplane that has one or more floats that enable it to land on water

sea·plane [ s plàyn ] (plural sea·planes)

noun

plane that can land on water: a plane designed in such a way that it can take off from and land on water

Sorry Michael I don't see a functional difference. The planes land and take off from water--I don't disagree that they may have some differences. So does a 747 and a A333, but they are still planes.

A seaplane can land/take off from sea or land without any modification. A float plane is set up to land/take off from water only. Modifications to a floatplane can include adding wheels for land use or skis for snow landings.

Calee

Don't quite agree with you either, at least as far as seaplanes.

Case in point. Catalina "flying boat", WW2. First models were seaplanes, and need special bogies if they were to be wheeled up on land. Later models had landing gear, and were true amphibians - could land and take off on either land or water, no special bogies needed.

Many Naval seaplanes could land on water only, including float planes that were catapulted off cruisers and battleships.

Perhaps the different definitions and meanings apply only to Naval planes, much like the difference between caliber in the Army and Navy (in Army - diameter of bore of weapon, in Navy length of the barrel times bore).

While I Am In Ketchikan I Am Thinking Of Doing One Of The Floatplane Or Seaplane Trips. Can Someone Please Tell Me The Difference Between A Seaplane Or A Floatplane.

Thanks.

While other debate the finer points, let me simply say that I did one of “those things” (a week ago today). I used Island Wings, and it was superior. We landed on a mountain lake, taxied to shore, and got out for about a half an hour. Secluded, silent, and beautiful beyond words. Regret to say the office staff is very poor, so if at all possible, just do it over the phone, and have them tell you where to be, and when, ‘cause you may never get the confirmation they keep saying they will send - and don’t. But you must overlook all of that, and just go for it. Not an experience I expect I will ever forget.

Archived