Booking Breakaway for 25th anniv.... some questions please :)

Kenlorz

We have only sailed once before...on the RCCL Allure (last March). We were hooked instantly and fell in LOVE with cruising. Now we are planning to book the Breakaway to Bermuda to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary next June. We are going to book the May 31 - June 6th sailing. I have a few questions and curiosities I would love to have some help with.

1. THE VIBE: Since we are first time NCL cruisers and not Lattitudes members, will we still be able to get into the first (or at least 2nd) group boarding if we get to the pier by 9:30 am so we can try to snag a VIBE cabana for an anniversary splurge? I am VERY fair and sensitive to the sun, so I would only want to do the VIBE if I can acquire a Cabana. What are the chances of getting one without having any priority boarding? And if someone has gotten a cabana before, would it even be worth getting one when we will be docked in Bermuda for 3 days and spending so much time on the island? Lastly, what time is VIBE open and how late is it open? We very much like late night soaks in a hot tub and can't for the life of me find what time those hot tubs close in the evening. Anyone know?

2. THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE: Is this something that is offered all the time through NCL? Or is this a limited time thing? We like to dine exclusively at the Specialty Restaurants, so this would fit us perfectly. I'm saddened to see we just missed being able to book and get this package as a perk, so I'm hanging on for a few weeks before booking to see if it is offered again, but I don't want to miss out on it all together. Also, can you eat at more than one restaurant a night with this package? Don't want to be a piggy, but not sure how we will like the food at the Cirque show (husband is allergic to shrimp), so thought about hitting up a different restaurant afterwards if we don't care much for the food.

3. OBC, PERKS, ETC: We ordered 2 NCL Brochures through HSN last week after reading a thread here about it. We know we have to book before the end of the month, but can we use each of our $100 OBC certificates when booking one room or is it only one certificate that will be applied? Also, what about the early booking OBC? Is that combinable with it? Just want to make sure we don't do something stupid and miss out. We want to book at just the right time to be able to afford to splurge on as much as we can for this special occasion.

4. ENTERTAINMENT: I heard that NCL also has Quest? I haven't come across it yet in the dailies I have skimmed through. Does anyone know what night and in what venue the Breakaway holds it? Is it very much like Royal's version? Also, out of the other game show type entertainment, which do you most recommend? We like to see/participate in the funnier ones (we really enjoyed the Love & Marriage show on RCCL).

5. LUNCH SHOWS: I'm a bit confused about this one. First dailies I read through mentioned "Dysfunctional Family", the next ones I skimmed through mentioned a "Murder Mystery" (right up my alley), but now I just recently read something about a Wine Show? Just curious (and I realize it could change before we sail), does anyone know if the BA still offers the Murder Mystery lunch? If so, is it a set menu?

6. TV: I have seen that NCL has limited TV show options. Is it true you can order pay-per-view? What are the costs? How large of a selection do they have? And what about a USB port? Do the TVs have one that I could just plug my Kindle into to stream a movie from? Also, do they re-run all the game shows and Q&A's on TV like they do on RCCL? That was very enjoyable to watch if you missed an event and am hoping they do.

7. STAYING IN TOUCH: We are leaving our teenage children behind and would like to be able to stay in touch daily. What is the best way to do so on NCL? We have Verizon plans (Galaxy 4 phones). We also will bring our Kindles (or a mini Ipad). We just want to be able to touch base each evening and be reassured everyone has gotten home from work ok and everything is ok and running smoothly. Also want to be reachable easily in case of an emergency.

Thanks all! I know this is long, but thought it best to post all my questions in one post vs mucking up the boards with tons of newbie questions. Thanks for any help you can give. As you can see, I like to do a lot of research and know all the ins-and-outs before I vacation :D

We just returned from sailing on the Breakaway yesterday and were booked in an H9 Haven Spa Suite. We celebrated our 42nd Anniversary during the cruise and could not be more delighted with the cruise. We are seasoned Cunard cruisers and this was our first cruise with NCL. The concept of "A ship within a ship" in the Haven is no exaggeration. We think it would be a superb experience for your 25th Wedding Anniversary!

Have sailed NCL a few times and always enjoyed their line. However, we found that the Breakway seems like it was set up for a much younger crowd, like kids. There is no pool area to speak of, its crowded and obnoxious, the adult area offers little relief from the heat. I know we will never go on that ship again. Take a look at Celebrity Summitt out of Bayonne, probably less costly and a much more relaxed trip.

All lines have limited TV, they don't want you in the room watching TV. NCL's Premium drink package doesn't include bottled water, that really bugs me, for $53 a day and all the booze you can drink, you'd think a bottle of water would be included.:rolleyes:

For staying in touch, we used texting, its 50 cents per transmission or receipt, however sometimes they are delayed by hours. You can call but its costly.

Dining packages are a nice touch, gives you an alternative. Thought Zacharians Restaurant was over rated and not worth the extra coin as well as the Cake Boss place, they charged us $53 for a 10" round cake that barely fed 8. And the cake was meh. Le Bistro, Cagneys and Teppanayki are worth a visit, MDR service and food was good, La Cucina should close its doors, 8 out of 10 us rated it as awful.

I'd go on the Gem anyday, the Breakaway is the first ship we have been on that we would not go back on. To each his own, we are a couple in our mid 50's. we travel with others the same age and sometimes our college aged children. The kids liked it, we all thought it was too congested around the pools and the entertainment was lacking.

I hope you enjoy it if you go, many love it, it just wasn't what we wish for.

Edited by Highlander1

We just returned from sailing on the Breakaway yesterday and were booked in an H9 Haven Spa Suite. We celebrated our 42nd Anniversary during the cruise and could not be more delighted with the cruise. We are seasoned Cunard cruisers and this was our first cruise with NCL. The concept of "A ship within a ship" in the Haven is no exaggeration. We think it would be a superb experience for your 25th Wedding Anniversary!

I would absolutely ADORE booking the Haven Spa Suite and that is the exact cabin category we began with, but alas, aside from being our 25th anniversary year, we also have a child graduating a week later, so funds will not allow it. Good to know that IF by some weird chance an upgrade possibility comes along we would like it... and therefore, snag the opportunity. Thanks for recommending it :)

Have sailed NCL a few times and always enjoyed their line. However, we found that the Breakway seems like it was set up for a much younger crowd, like kids. There is no pool area to speak of, its crowded and obnoxious, the adult area offers little relief from the heat. I know we will never go on that ship again. Take a look at Celebrity Summitt out of Bayonne, probably less costly and a much more relaxed trip.

All lines have limited TV, they don't want you in the room watching TV. NCL's Premium drink package doesn't include bottled water, that really bugs me, for $53 a day and all the booze you can drink, you'd think a bottle of water would be included.:rolleyes:

For staying in touch, we used texting, its 50 cents per transmission or receipt, however sometimes they are delayed by hours. You can call but its costly.

Dining packages are a nice touch, gives you an alternative. Thought Zacharians Restaurant was over rated and not worth the extra coin as well as the Cake Boss place, they charged us $53 for a 10" round cake that barely fed 8. And the cake was meh. Le Bistro, Cagneys and Teppanayki are worth a visit, MDR service and food was good, La Cucina should close its doors, 8 out of 10 us rated it as awful.

I'd go on the Gem anyday, the Breakaway is the first ship we have been on that we would not go back on. To each his own, we are a couple in our mid 50's. we travel with others the same age and sometimes our college aged children. The kids liked it, we all thought it was too congested around the pools and the entertainment was lacking.

I hope you enjoy it if you go, many love it, it just wasn't what we wish for.

We are 40-somethings, but I think our hearts are kid-sized... so perhaps we will fit right in on a kid-geared ship, LOL! Actually, my dh just went on a ropes course a few weeks ago with my college aged son and now can't wait to hit the one on Breakaway where you will have the extra challenge of the swaying ship to contend with. I, for one, am looking forward to relaxing in the thermal suite with a good book.

As for La Cucina, thanks for giving us the heads-up. I wasn't thrilled at all with the looks of the menu (sounded equivalent to Olive Garden... or perhaps lower), so we were considering skipping it all together... maybe we should. We definitely were wanting to try Le Bistro, Tepanyaki and Cagneys.

I sailed the Breakaway for my first ever cruise last summer and was able to get a Vibe pass. The first place I went was Guest Services for that. The second place was to the Spa for a Spa pass...

If I book a spa balcony do I still need to go to the spa for the spa pass? Or is there some other process for getting a pass with those cabins?

If I book a spa balcony do I still need to go to the spa for the spa pass? Or is there some other process for getting a pass with those cabins?

You do have to go to the spa to get the spa sticker put onto your key card. I stayed in a Haven Spa Suite last Aug to celebrate my 40th bday. It was amazing!! FYI there's 3 different Spa cabins you can book:

Spa Balcony B9

Spa mini suite M9

Haven Spa suite H9

All cabins give you access to the spa but the H9 gives you access to the Haven Courtyard. If you book the H9 9 months in advance you'll get $300 suite OBC plus triple lattitude points.

When I sailed on the BA last year the Quest game wasn't played onboard. It's a fun game. I loved the H9 and Haven access and I'll be back on the Breakaway again this Aug. :D

Was on the Breakaway in March. Loved it and have booked it again for this coming November. I personally thought the food was great in the Manhattan Room. We ate there several times.

Can you watch the dance exhibits in the Manhattan room from the Meridian bar above?

We have only sailed once before...on the RCCL Allure (last March). We were hooked instantly and fell in LOVE with cruising. Now we are planning to book the Breakaway to Bermuda to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary next June. We are going to book the May 31 - June 6th sailing. I have a few questions and curiosities I would love to have some help with.

1. THE VIBE: Since we are first time NCL cruisers and not Lattitudes members, will we still be able to get into the first (or at least 2nd) group boarding if we get to the pier by 9:30 am so we can try to snag a VIBE cabana for an anniversary splurge? I am VERY fair and sensitive to the sun, so I would only want to do the VIBE if I can acquire a Cabana. What are the chances of getting one without having any priority boarding? And if someone has gotten a cabana before, would it even be worth getting one when we will be docked in Bermuda for 3 days and spending so much time on the island? Lastly, what time is VIBE open and how late is it open? We very much like late night soaks in a hot tub and can't for the life of me find what time those hot tubs close in the evening. Anyone know?

2. THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE: Is this something that is offered all the time through NCL? Or is this a limited time thing? We like to dine exclusively at the Specialty Restaurants, so this would fit us perfectly. I'm saddened to see we just missed being able to book and get this package as a perk, so I'm hanging on for a few weeks before booking to see if it is offered again, but I don't want to miss out on it all together. Also, can you eat at more than one restaurant a night with this package? Don't want to be a piggy, but not sure how we will like the food at the Cirque show (husband is allergic to shrimp), so thought about hitting up a different restaurant afterwards if we don't care much for the food.

3. OBC, PERKS, ETC: We ordered 2 NCL Brochures through HSN last week after reading a thread here about it. We know we have to book before the end of the month, but can we use each of our $100 OBC certificates when booking one room or is it only one certificate that will be applied? Also, what about the early booking OBC? Is that combinable with it? Just want to make sure we don't do something stupid and miss out. We want to book at just the right time to be able to afford to splurge on as much as we can for this special occasion.

4. ENTERTAINMENT: I heard that NCL also has Quest? I haven't come across it yet in the dailies I have skimmed through. Does anyone know what night and in what venue the Breakaway holds it? Is it very much like Royal's version? Also, out of the other game show type entertainment, which do you most recommend? We like to see/participate in the funnier ones (we really enjoyed the Love & Marriage show on RCCL).

5. LUNCH SHOWS: I'm a bit confused about this one. First dailies I read through mentioned "Dysfunctional Family", the next ones I skimmed through mentioned a "Murder Mystery" (right up my alley), but now I just recently read something about a Wine Show? Just curious (and I realize it could change before we sail), does anyone know if the BA still offers the Murder Mystery lunch? If so, is it a set menu?

6. TV: I have seen that NCL has limited TV show options. Is it true you can order pay-per-view? What are the costs? How large of a selection do they have? And what about a USB port? Do the TVs have one that I could just plug my Kindle into to stream a movie from? Also, do they re-run all the game shows and Q&A's on TV like they do on RCCL? That was very enjoyable to watch if you missed an event and am hoping they do.

7. STAYING IN TOUCH: We are leaving our teenage children behind and would like to be able to stay in touch daily. What is the best way to do so on NCL? We have Verizon plans (Galaxy 4 phones). We also will bring our Kindles (or a mini Ipad). We just want to be able to touch base each evening and be reassured everyone has gotten home from work ok and everything is ok and running smoothly. Also want to be reachable easily in case of an emergency.

Thanks all! I know this is long, but thought it best to post all my questions in one post vs mucking up the boards with tons of newbie questions. Thanks for any help you can give. As you can see, I like to do a lot of research and know all the ins-and-outs before I vacation :D

We have been on breakaway twice. July and February. We had vibe both times and wouldn't want to sail without it. It's open until 11pm including the bar. Opens at 7am.

We only eat at specialty rest. Prefer the better food. U can eat at as many specialty rest each night that u want. Apps at one entree at another dessert at another or dinner at two or more. At cagneys n Le bistro there is a $10 charge for an extra entree--well worth it. We enjoyed la cucina for apps and pizza and dessert. We had a couple good entrees as well but it is along the line of Olive Garden. Make sure u eat out on the waterfront as many times as possible. Also we had breakfast at moderno n it wasn't as busy as the other rest plus we ate outside on the waterfront. Make sure the staff knows it's your anniversary. We received a bottle of wine and delicious cakes that were big enough for four people (see pic)ImageUploadedByForums1399347697.594503.jpg.e4020b5791b359335ea1a6988ad9d718.jpgplus they sing to u. At cagneys the shrimp cocktail is only three pieces so after the first night they knew to put six in our glasses. The service is really awesome in the specialty rest. Buy as much as u can before u board so that it doesn't hit your on board account. When u r in vibe if u like lobster make sure u order the lobster roll it's amazing. If u purchase vibe cabana for the week at $299 u get $100 in food credit. U must do cirque on the first nite the show is awesome. Tell them of your husbands allergy ahead of time so they can substitute his meal. The food is average. Steak is not as good as cagneys--more like MDR quality. We saw the murder mystery show and it was okay-nothing to be thrilled over. U will want to see the dueling piano bars and the talks from the crew. Movies under the stars at spice h2o or in the atrium if there is a party in spice with fresh popcorn. TV is limited they do have pay per view and they show a lot of the events that are done on board. Recently the cirque show was offered free the first night if u bought the UDP. We communicate to home through internet minutes or through verizon I think I paid $25 for a special plan when we were in Bermuda.

I apologize for this being all over but I'm on my phone. If u want any more info send me your email and I can answer any questions and send pics.

The only other ideas I can give u is to bring a case of soda and a case of water plus a large travel mug

Have a great time. We have three more cruises booked on breakaway getaway and escape--can't wait. Oh also purchase future cruise credits as soon as u get on board. Cost is $250 but they give u a $100 OBC then it will also count as a $250 deposit for a future cruise for everyone in your room within 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Momofcandk

We have been on breakaway twice. July and February. We had vibe both times and wouldn't want to sail without it. It's open until 11pm including the bar. Opens at 7am.

We only eat at specialty rest. Prefer the better food. U can eat at as many specialty rest each night that u want. Apps at one entree at another dessert at another or dinner at two or more. At cagneys n Le bistro there is a $10 charge for an extra entree--well worth it. We enjoyed la cucina for apps and pizza and dessert. We had a couple good entrees as well but it is along the line of Olive Garden. Make sure u eat out on the waterfront as many times as possible. Also we had breakfast at moderno n it wasn't as busy as the other rest plus we ate outside on the waterfront. Make sure the staff knows it's your anniversary. We received a bottle of wine and delicious cakes that were big enough for four people (see pic)[ATTACH]311789[/ATTACH]plus they sing to u. At cagneys the shrimp cocktail is only three pieces so after the first night they knew to put six in our glasses. The service is really awesome in the specialty rest. Buy as much as u can before u board so that it doesn't hit your on board account. When u r in vibe if u like lobster make sure u order the lobster roll it's amazing. If u purchase vibe cabana for the week at $299 u get $100 in food credit. U must do cirque on the first nite the show is awesome. Tell them of your husbands allergy ahead of time so they can substitute his meal. The food is average. Steak is not as good as cagneys--more like MDR quality. We saw the murder mystery show and it was okay-nothing to be thrilled over. U will want to see the dueling piano bars and the talks from the crew. Movies under the stars at spice h2o or in the atrium if there is a party in spice with fresh popcorn. TV is limited they do have pay per view and they show a lot of the events that are done on board. Recently the cirque show was offered free the first night if u bought the UDP. We communicate to home through internet minutes or through verizon I think I paid $25 for a special plan when we were in Bermuda.

I apologize for this being all over but I'm on my phone. If u want any more info send me your email and I can answer any questions and send pics.

The only other ideas I can give u is to bring a case of soda and a case of water plus a large travel mug

Have a great time. We have three more cruises booked on breakaway getaway and escape--can't wait. Oh also purchase future cruise credits as soon as u get on board. Cost is $250 but they give u a $100 OBC then it will also count as a $250 deposit for a future cruise for everyone in your room within 4 years.

Wow!!! Unbelievably helpful! Thank you so much! Will they kick you out of Vibe and the hot tubs at 11:00, or is it like a hotel where as long as you are through the door by closing they pretty much leave you alone for some time.

There are curtains but u can see through them

Thanks again :)

Maybe we can try to catch a few minutes of their act through the curtain.

Listing of our favorite restaurants for dinner:

1--cagneys(2-3x)

2--Le bistro(1-2x)

3--moderno(1x)--so much food-don't eat anything before dinner and be very limited at the salad bar. Leave room for the delicious grilled pineapple. I was able to order my dessert from cagneys while dining at moderno and they served it to us on the waterfront. This was one if the days we ordered an anniversary cake. So they delivered the anniversary cake to our room for a late night snack n we enjoyed the other desserts.

4--la cucina(1x)

We eat at the raw bar in the afternoon

We eat at the MDR for lunch the day we board

With the UDP u get 20% off at all a la carte rest which includes Carlos, gelato, lobster rolls, etc

We eat at o'sheehans at least 4-5 x for lunch. They are open 24 hours. Fish n chips are excellent n wings are delicious

We also eat at o'sheehans for breakfast bc it's quick n delicious. If we forget to order room service the night before my husband runs up to o'sheehans and grabs a couple pots of coffee and a plate of pastries and fruit.

We are also known To go for sundaes when getting back on the ship after going off the ship at the ports. I think it was $2.59 then 20% off in a huge glass.

It's a good idea to fill out the room service card before going to bed and leave on your door handle. Each night we would order two pots of coffee, pastries and fruit to enjoy when we first woke up on the balcony. Then we would shower n get ready for the pool but we would stop at o'sheehans first for a sit down breakfast.

Uptown grill is a great place for a quick pick up breakfast or lunch sandwich.

Sorry for too much info. But we love breakaway and want everyone else to know everything they can to have a fantastic time.

Just ask if u want any more info

Edited by Momofcandk

Wow!!! Unbelievably helpful! Thank you so much! Will they kick you out of Vibe and the hot tubs at 11:00, or is it like a hotel where as long as you are through the door by closing they pretty much leave you alone for some time.

The employees won't kick u out. Ask for Raj and he will take care of you at the bar. The employees just want everyone to have a great time. Vibe is never crowded and the type of people there have always been so nice. No strollers bumping into u n no screaming crying kids!!!

I think you might have already gotten your answer. The Thermal Spa is included when you book a Spa Balcony so no need tp purchase a spa pass. You may have to go to get a special sticker but you surely do not have to pay for a Spa Pass as it is included in the price of your room. Enjoy! I know I did.

So here's what I have I have gleaned from your responses so far... please help me fill in any blanks or correct any wrong answers :)

Q: What are the chances of my getting in the first or second boarding group to snag a VIBE cabana if I arrive extra early to the pier (even though I am not a lattitudes member)

A: ???

Q: Is a cabana even worth the extra money with 3 days docked in Bermuda?

A: (answer from a separate thread: no air flow in cabana and same double lounging beds are available in VIBE with umbrellas for much less the price)

Q: Vibe Hours?

A: 7 am - 11 pm

Q: Will they kick you out of Vibe hot tubs right at 11pm?

A: No, they try to accommodate

Q: Is the Ultimate Dining Package a limited time offer or always ongoing?

Q: Can you eat at multiple restaurants in the same evening with the UDP?

A: Yes

Q: Can I use both my husband's and my HSN $100 OBC certificate on one room?

A:???

Q: Is the HSN OBC combinable with the early booking bonus?

Q: Is Quest played on Breakaway and if so, where & when?

A: Not on a recent cruisers trip

Q: What Game Shows do you recommend that are particularly fun to watch & participate in?

Q: Is Wine Lovers Musical the only comedy/theater luncheon currently offered on BA or is the Murder Mystery still offered?

Q: Can you order Pay-per-View movies in your cabin?

Q: How much is Pay-per-View & is it an extensive choice list?

Q: Do the stateroom tvs have a USB port to connect laptops/tablets?

Q: Do they replay the game shows in your cabin on tv?

A: Yes

Q: Do I still need to go to the spa to get a pass when staying in a Spa Balcony?

A: Yes, but you only have to get a sticker, which is free when staying in a spa balcony

Q: Can you watch the Manhattan Room Burn the Floor acts from the Meridian Bar above?

A: Yes, but their are curtains that block the view

Q: What is best way of staying in touch with family back home?

A: Texts at .50cents per transmission, internet minutes, $25 verizon package in Bermuda

Further Suggestions from posters to help celebrate our 25th anniversary:

* Tell them it's our anniversary celebration and will receive a cake

* Tell the cirque show waiters of my husband's shrimp allergies, they will substitute accordingly

* Watch a movie under the stars in Spice and get popcorn from the bar

* Watch the dueling piano act

* Try to upgrade to Haven Spa cabin if opportunity arises, well worth it

* Purchase a future cruise credit while on board