Snorkeling in Kauaii

two40

Ke'e, Makua (aka Tunnels) - both on the north shore, and Lawai - on the south shore.

Conditions will vary depending on the season ... e.g. the north shore can be hazardous in winter months. This site is a good one for description of the various beaches on Kauai ... plus there is a forum for each beach if you want to scroll through the questions and answers, or ask a question yourself.

Where have you snorkeled and would recommend?
'"

Absolutely Tunnels. It's at the end of the road and you have to walk a bit to get to where the sandy part of the water is. What I mean is the reef comes almost to the shore in most places. Don't go in there! Rather walk until you can see the sandy bottom and go in there. There are some nice deep holes with lots of fish. Plus it's a gorgeous drive getting out there. Keep you're eye peeled for turtles as they like to play on a couple of the rocks in the water where you first start walking.

Aloha, Kenn

e.g. the north shore can be hazardous in winter months. This site is a good one for description of the various beaches on Kauai ... plus there is a forum for each beach if you want to scroll through the questions and answers, or ask a question yourself.

Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that site before. We are going in October and I would love to know about Kauai snorkel sites as well.

Susan, when you say "hazardous in winter months" are you talking true winter (December 21-March 20)? I'm curious how it will be when we are there at the end of October. Thanks!! :)

Edited by kjcombs89

You're welcome kjcombs:)

Hawaii has two seasons instead of four (due to proximity to the equator) and winter is usually described as November - March, summer April - October (although I think April and October are transition months for weather.) Not a lot of variation in temperatures throughout the year, but the winters are normally wetter than summers ... especially the north shore. Also surf can be a lot bigger on the north shore in the winter.

October is probably a good month to visit either north or south shore on Kauai, but I would check the forecast the day before (if you have some flexibility as to which direction to head.) We were on Maui for two weeks this past October and the weather was fantastic ... sunny and warm, and best of all the ocean temperatures are like bath water. Enjoy. :)

Edited by Susan-M

My two favorite places to snorkel on Kauai are Poipu and Kee'e. Kee'e is at the very end of the road just past Hanalei. It's on the wet side of the island is very tropical and rains a lot. It's a wonderful beach with a big corral reef that keeps the breakers down and it's great snorkeling.

Poipu is on the other side of the island. It's drier there but also very nice. The beach is wonderful for snorkling with many fish to observe. There is a small surf action and is great for taking your air mattress and body surfing. there is also a bar/rest close by. They have showers on the beach and bathrooms with running water. We liked Poipu a lot.

Tunnels is my favorite because while it is protected by a lava reef, it still has a lot of deep holes and lava formations where the big fish like to hang. I'm embarrassed to say I have snorkled Kee'e although I have been there many times. I am not sure there is a better beach anywhere in the world to watch a sun set. I will give it a try next time. It literally is at the end of the road, so it is easy to find. Great hiking there as well.

Burt