Italy and your favourite lens?

What is your favourite lens to take to shoot Italian ports and other Mediterranean ports for that matter?

I really want to go light on the gear and am planning on one body and would like to limit my lenses if possible (0verseas flights and limited luggage/carryon space).

Any recommendations would be fabulous...

Sorry, I am a professional photog who wants to go very light for lenses while travelling (I shoot daily and this is my vacation so I like dont want to be tied to all the gear I carry daily (Canon Mark IV, 70D, 7D, 60D, 300 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 18-135 3.5-5.6IS, 28-105 3.5-4.5, 24-70 2.8, 16-35 2.8, 14 2.8, 1.4x tc, 2x 580EXii, pocket wizards plus all the video microphones etc). I want to shoot scenic pix of the surroundings in many of the ports (not necessarily ship to shore) but am trying to figure out if I can get away with going light on lenses - I dont feel like juggling all my gear. Just trying to figure out if I need my 70-200 or if I can get away with something like a 18-135 instead. If I was going to Alaska, I would go long, but given that it is likely mostly architecture and street scenes, thinking I dont require long. I am just not sure about access/proximity and if I really need the full range. Its my vacation. I am really looking forward to shooting on the cruise but just dont feel like hauling it all so trying to hedge my bets by picking a lens or lenses which will work. Thought I would throw it out there to see what peoples favourite lenses were in Italy.

Edited by CGYCruisingFamily

My sorta light travel lens set is 17-55 f2.8 for walking around on shore and in town. 24-105L if doing a shore excursion that might have shots at all ranges during the day. And 100-400L for taking ship to shore or photos of other ships (I'm a ship nerd). My normal mix on a cruise is probably 60% long range telephoto, 30% with my 18-55 f2.8 and 10% with the 24-105 which has been getting left behind more and more lately. On land trips, not cruises, and traveling light I only take the 17-55 f2.8.

From your list of gear I'd take the 7D and the 24-70L as I'm a sucker for quality glass. You'll get images you can crop heavily if the 70mm doesn't provide the range you want and the 24mm will be almost wide for in town. The f2.8 will work well in low light so you don't have to bring a flash and can get by with the one on the camera if needed. If you want to take a second lens I'd pick the 16-35L

We were there last summer, and I guesstimate that 90% of my shots were taken with my Canon 24-105 lens on a full frame camera. I never felt the need for a long telephoto. The images are here.

Enjoy your cruise.

Larry

^ This.

Looking back, I might have left the 100-400mm at home and stuck with the 24-105mm and 8-15mm.

Sorry, I am a professional photog who wants to go very light for lenses while travelling (I shoot daily and this is my vacation so I like dont want to be tied to all the gear I carry daily (Canon Mark IV, 70D, 7D, 60D, 300 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 18-135 3.5-5.6IS, 28-105 3.5-4.5, 24-70 2.8, 16-35 2.8, 14 2.8, 1.4x tc, 2x 580EXii, pocket wizards plus all the video microphones etc). I want to shoot scenic pix of the surroundings in many of the ports (not necessarily ship to shore) but am trying to figure out if I can get away with going light on lenses - I dont feel like juggling all my gear. Just trying to figure out if I need my 70-200 or if I can get away with something like a 18-135 instead. If I was going to Alaska, I would go long, but given that it is likely mostly architecture and street scenes, thinking I dont require long. I am just not sure about access/proximity and if I really need the full range. Its my vacation. I am really looking forward to shooting on the cruise but just dont feel like hauling it all so trying to hedge my bets by picking a lens or lenses which will work. Thought I would throw it out there to see what peoples favourite lenses were in Italy.

Take the FF camera and just two lenses: 24-70 and 16-35. Constant F2.8 is a boon for onboard shots (indoors and sunsets). 16-35 is a must if you plan to visit Rome: The architecture requires something wider than a 24mm FF FOV to capture non-"tilting" images of the Pantheon, for example.

16-35 will also be handy for indoor shots like these:

13530061903_7fe0acfe76_n.jpgCruise - March 2014 by sabesh, on Flickr

13529530584_958e2f06a4_n.jpgCruise - March 2014 by sabesh, on Flickr

I also vote for the 24-70 also because it's faster. The 18-135 will also be handy as a daylight walkabout lens. I mainly used a 16-50 and a 50-135 for Rome, venice, santorini.

Edited by TheMediaman