Looking for some advice on what to do in port...

DCNadeau

Leaving on the Legend on Sunday!

Can’t wait!

Going with a group of 12 people all in their late 20's. None of us pre booked excursions for the ports (Cozumel, Belize, Rotan and Grand Cayman). We were all mostly thinking of just figuring out what we will do once in port. Only place I have really read about that I think we are going to do is Paradise Beach in Cozumel.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for the other ports for fun activities?

Where we should head to with a taxi?

What are some of the best beaches to go to?

Looking for some ideas that will not break the bank either.

Any ideas are great and welcome!

Thanks Everyone!

Belize is not known for it's beaches. Not much to do around the port area, so just grabbing a cab isn't a great idea. To get to a beach, you'd need to book and excursion and go to one of the outer islands. Or book a cave-tubing or ruins excursion. Otherwise, you can hang out at the port area, which won't take a long time.

In Grand Cayman, you can take a cab to 7 Mile Beach. I'm not sure if it's walkable or not...never tried it.

There's the Carnival made beach right where the ship docks in Roatan. Definitely not the best beach but you can easily walk there.

If you haven't done so already, head over to the ports of call boards. Lots of good info there.

Belize- I don't care for Belize so I either go to the ruins or stay on the ship,

Roatan- I just walk over to Mahogany Beach right by the dock.

Grand Cayman- Stingray City and 7 Mile Beach.

Cozumel - Sounds like the OP has a plan.

Belize - You tender there and we did the 4WD adventure, caving and rive ride, fun. Like others said, the port area is small, but some shops, bars, if I recall, nothing fancy.

GC - You tender there and can just walk around town and shop or taxi to a beach.

Roatan - Nice beach right there. We did Clip n Zip right in the AM (right outside the port gate), then did a day at the beach. We bought $1 blow up tubes/floats before we left for the cruise and had a great time floating around.

I would definitely look into doing Stingray City (Sandbar) tour on Grand Cayman. You should be able to find someone at the dock to take a group of you. With that many people you should be able to negotiate a decent price. Have them drop you off at 7 Mile Beach on the way back to town, or just hang out at one of the bars or restaurants once back near the dock. It's a blast!! Stingray city is really pretty darn cool. You would not be sorry (or bored). Paradise Grill right in town near the pier is right on the water, has free snorkeling with cheap gear rental, as well. Great place to hang while waiting for a tender. Of course Margaritaville is right at the tender piers as well. Expensive, but can be a boatload of fun for 20 somethings.

Cozumel you might want to consider Hiring a van to take you to the other side of the island. (You should be able to do this right at the pier. Negotiate prices with the drivers). The beach bars are really cool (just what you'd imagine a palapa roof beach bar to be). I can imagine a gang of 20 somethings having a darn good time at Coconuts or Rasta (Bob Marley) bar. Great beaches and water views (although limited swimming due to rough water), the drinks are cold and cheap. Take cash as they do not have ATMS (no electricity) on that side of the island. GREAT way to get away from the familys and crowds.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

Thanks all for the great responses!

I look forward to hearing what other also have to say!

MrsFuzzmo - Do you know if we should book the stingray stuff through the cruise line? Or from your experience are there lots of people at the port offering trips to stingray city? Or are there like tour booths we can go to book a tour?

- At Cozumel would you suggest going to the other side of the island like you are saying opposed to going to like Paradise Beach?

-From peoples experience in Belize are there places to book excursions in the port right off the boat? Or not so much?

MrsFuzzmo - Do you know if we should book the stingray stuff through the cruise line? Or from your experience are there lots of people at the port offering trips to stingray city? Or are there like tour booths we can go to book a tour?

- At Cozumel would you suggest going to the other side of the island like you are saying opposed to going to like Paradise Beach?

-From peoples experience in Belize are there places to book excursions in the port right off the boat? Or not so much?

Grand Cayman: Yes , there will be a lot of vendors holding signs in Grand Cayman right at the pier, that will get you set up to go to Stingray City. You can go with the cruise line, but it will be rather expensive, crowded and probably have lots of familys on board. If you do it yourself, you will have much more flexibility. We've done it both ways and will always just go ourselves now (sometimes we pre-book a private tour, sometimes just grab someone at the pier). There will be tour booths, tables, kiosks an the like. You should have no problem booking something economical at the pier.

Paradise Beach in Cozumel can be jammed and filled with kids. NOT my cup of tea. It's one of the most popular places to go because it has the kids water toys, it's cheap (no all-inlcusive package prices) and close to the pier. There are some MUCH better places to go....unless you want to be in the thick of the tourist crowds, then you might like it. We LOVE the other side of the island. Totally laid back, awesome people at the bars, BEAUTIFUL beaches (although, not much swimming), just a really fun "adult" vibe.

First three pics are from the East Side....Third is from Paradise Beach.

CoZcocktail2.jpg.59a3d9a5fdea6a7d191389c24ce721b1.jpg

CZMswingbar.jpg.b637fdfc7608d9430d9e2cf69565da46.jpg

CZMhammock.jpg.52e4991848e42190080b667fc98c5fc7.jpg

CZMParaBeach.jpg.d4894d1b5b4b851069df3b95ead326ea.jpg

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

I'd recommend checking the ports board for Grand Cayman for a company to do the Stingray excursion. There are many reputable, cheaper and less crowded than the ship excursion. If you go ashore and try to do it, there are so many vendors trying to get you to go with them, it's like a free for all and becomes easier to just walk away and not go at all!

In Belize I've almost missed the ship twice going with vendors other than Carnival. I'd only go with Carnival for most of them as there is long travel time to most things and there are too many possibilities to miss the ship.

The ruins in AltunHa are nothing to look at if you ever saw ruins before, even on TV!

#1 is Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman..

But do NOT book through the cruiseline.

Super easy to book on your own, with many very popular, reputable companies in Grand Cayman.

Been 3 or 4 times now and everytime our boat with 15-20 people pulls up at the sandbar, we watch as the huge double decker boats from the cruiseships pull up, and it takes most of the people's time at the sandbar waiting to get off the boat and back on.

Versus most of your more personalized time, being spent in the water, with the Stingrays.

Incredible experience for sure.

(some much so, I have yet to make it to the gorgeous 7 mile beach yet)

#2 - Roatan - do yourself a favor and get away from Carnival's manmade beach at Mahogany Bay and see some of the beautiful beaches at West Bay at the tip of the island. (like to New York City and going to Walmart and eating at McDonald's or Olive Garden, stuff you can do at home)

Mahogany Bay is a nice facilitiy, but nowhere near as beautiful as the natural beaches of Roatan. (but a great option if you oversleep or are hung over from the previous night)

#3 - Belize - unless you want to wander the streets in an impoverished town, little to nothing to do right at the pier. (plus 20 minute tender boat ride each way to get into town)

Definitely a good idea to book a ship's excursion to a beach break, world class snorkeling or the 3 great mayan ruins usually offered.

(and I almost NEVER recommend a ship's excursion)

#4 - Cozumel - sounds like you've made a great choice of Paradise Beach for your group's day in Cozumel.

Enjoy....

Here are some links I have for Sting Ray City excursions in Grand Cayman. (just check the Grand Cayman board for threads on each one of them)

My personal suggestion (great time 4 times running)

http://www.stingraysailing.com/

These others all come highly recommended on the Grand Cayman board.

http://www.mobydicktours.com/

http://www.captainbryans.com/

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

http://www.sotoscruises.com/

I tried these guys once and nowhere near as good as Stingray Sailing.

But still well reviewed.

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

Here is a map of Roatan showing the two cruise piers. (Carnival's is to the right)

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/roatanmaps.html#.U2km4PldUxF

Another with the beach clubs on West Bay Beach..

http://www.roatan.net/Roatan-West-Bay-Map.pdf

Nice aerial shot of West Bay Beach

20281e30-9dc6-4bcf-a91f-7737802fc90e.jpg?rnd=0.1927258

Nice snorkel map for West bay beach. (extraordinary shore snorkeling, if any in your group enjoy snorkeling)

Mapa-wbba_front_maponly_1600x800_50.jpg

Hope that helps you get started with the rest of your planning...

Edited by bguppies

Paradise Beach is an excellent choice! Great huge pool, beach, super clean facilities and LOTS of fun!! The service is great too! They have everything you need for a perfect beach day with friends : ) Have fun!!!

Cozumel in a day was actually so fun.

We hired mopeds (2 adults, 3 late teens) at port (simple, but I speak Spanish) and we scooted off. We headed right, checking things out. We have been to Mexico so many times, and to Cozumel too, that we knew we just wanted to avert crowds. We all love being "lounge lizards" and talking and exploring as we walk or lounge along the beach.

Before arriving at a restaurant beach, we swam and sunned on the other side of the island. There was no hurry, since we had all day.

The road is peppered with mini resort beach areas (do not think 5-Star). As we scooted along, we eventually located yet another coastal location that ticked all the boxes. It was quaint and tidy and had a pool. We drank, ate, swam, and napped in the hammock. The service was very fun and friendly (it helps that we were with our attractive young ladies?). It was completely relaxing.

We continued on around the island, on moped. There is a road that cuts along the interior of the island. The more authentic feel of the island is observed away from the port hustle.

Enjoy your trip!!

In Roatan we had one of our best beach days ever. I booked on my own online for Bananarama beach. The driver met us at the port, drove us to the beach. They had loungers and a great bar within steps. If I recall, bottled beers were $1 to $2 US. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I clicked on this thread because my daughter, who just turned 18, and I will be in Cozumel in a few weeks on a Carnival ship. Looking for some info on what to do. Can she drink at age 18? We will be there form 1:30pm - 10:30. Sucky times.....

Anyway, let me help you out with your Grand Cayman Stingray issue.

http://www.stingraysailing.com/index.html

We used them 2 years ago and it was by far the highlight of our trip. Chip and his crew do an amazing job. If I remember correctly the cost was $120 for my wife, my 10 year old, and myself. They did such a great job I tipped them $75. I wrote a review on here somewhere, just search my posts. I'm pretty sure I included pictures. His boat holds 30 people but we had a whopping 7 people on that ship. My family of 3 and some college kids. It was awesome. At least give them a look and see what they have to offer.

I clicked on this thread because my daughter, who just turned 18, and I will be in Cozumel in a few weeks on a Carnival ship. Looking for some info on what to do. Can she drink at age 18? We will be there form 1:30pm - 10:30. Sucky times.....

Anyway, let me help you out with your Grand Cayman Stingray issue.

http://www.stingraysailing.com/index.html

We used them 2 years ago and it was by far the highlight of our trip. Chip and his crew do an amazing job. If I remember correctly the cost was $120 for my wife, my 10 year old, and myself. They did such a great job I tipped them $75. I wrote a review on here somewhere, just search my posts. I'm pretty sure I included pictures. His boat holds 30 people but we had a whopping 7 people on that ship. My family of 3 and some college kids. It was awesome. At least give them a look and see what they have to offer.

Yes, your daughter will be able to drink in Cozumel. Drinking age is 18. We were there from 1:30 - 10:00 as well, and it was actually really nice, but we didn't want a beach day. We did the mini-subs (underwater scooters) from 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm then walked to town and spent a few hours there. Had a blast. Headed back to port which was very pretty all lit up at night and hung out on the waterfront with a few drinks listening to music until it was time to get back on board. (We've been to Coz numerous times and chose to just kind of relax on this trip).