The very IMPORTANT but PERPLEXING question of BACON

Katgoesonholiday

I know not. Pork has always been the cheapest meat in the UK and I must admit £3.99/Kg is a keen price. NZ $22.99 (= £11.73) does sound very pricey to me. Is NZ pork imported?

I bet NZ have cheaper lamb than us!

No the 14 year old does not have it right. If any pig product cooked could substitute for crispy bacon at any time and for any meal then OK.

Bacon and eggs, pork chop and eggs, ham and eggs, pork sausage and eggs, ham hocks and eggs, pigs ears and feet and eggs are all piggy yet not the same! Not in taste or how its cooked.

No no no...you cannot substitute piggy and simply call it good.

A BLT cannot have ham or sausage as a piggy substitute.

If your in Canada and order bacon and eggs and they substitute the piggy's snout on the plate would that be the same?

Lol, fair enough, no I would not want pigs snout on my BLT.

Holy moly! Our pork loin is 'on special' at $22.99 per kg!!!! How come yours is so much cheaper?

I suspect your lamb is much cheaper! Are there many hog farms there?

For instance, I look at his price, and it's nearly double what I pay here. Supply and demand.

And I demand all the meat products in that advert! ;)

No the 14 year old does not have it right. If any pig product cooked could substitute for crispy bacon at any time and for any meal then OK.

Bacon and eggs, pork chop and eggs, ham and eggs, pork sausage and eggs, ham hocks and eggs, pigs ears and feet and eggs are all piggy yet not the same! Not in taste or how its cooked.

No no no...you cannot substitute piggy and simply call it good.

A BLT cannot have ham or sausage as a piggy substitute.

If your in Canada and order bacon and eggs and they substitute the piggy's snout on the plate would that be the same?

He's basing this on the fact that we've made all the types of 'bacon' described, plus he has the benefit of having Pernil, and barbequed pulled pork on a regular basis.

This is mainly relating to the breakfast discussion, that boy would eat pulled pork for three meals a day, same goes for ham, loin, bacon, and most of the traditional meats. Haven't fed him ear, snout, or feet-but he might surprise me, he's my adventurous eater who is looking forward to trying escargot on the next cruise.

This post is hilarious! Being an American yes, I [emoji173]️bacon! Especially crispy bacon! But not burnt or or so crispy it breaks apart. It's kind of a " just right" situation. A la Goldilocks. But, let's be real. Pig is pig and I [emoji173]️pig! I'd love to try the NZ way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife does this. Much less messy than frying it.

I make a full 'English' in precisely two minutes in total spent in the kitchen. An oven would not even heat up in that time.

Skipper Tim's Two Minute Cooked Breakfast

1. Put a non-stick frying pan, wiped with olive oil or with a small knob of butter, on full gas

2. Put the bread in the toaster

3. Put baked beans, plum tomatoes with a little ground pepper and eggs with a little milk (if scrambled) in containers on the plate(s) in the microwave on full power for a little over a minute. (They heat the plate(s).)

4. Wash and slice the mushrooms and add them, with bacon and eggs (if fried) to the now hot frying pan. Cover with a lid (to cook the top of the eggs & speed up cooking)

5. Stir the eggs in the microwave (if scrambling)

6. Butter the toast

7. Turn the bacon and mushrooms

8. Retrieve the contents of the microwave

9. Plate the toast, beans, tomatoes and egg (if scrambled)

10. Cut the gas, plate the rest and wipe the frying pan with some kitchen paper ready for next use (no mess).

I find the critical path to be the fried mushrooms. They are first in the frying pan and last out.

Enjoy, slowly.....

Edited by Skipper Tim

Delicious words that make me hungry...

I call shenanigans! No black pudding? No white pudding? No bangers? No fried bread?

I'm beginning to doubt your heritage/lineage... :D

I prefer a poached egg as well, and can't wait to get my sous vide cooker - hello perfect poached every time!

Oh, and to stay on topic - BACON!

I call shenanigans! No black pudding? No white pudding? No bangers? No fried bread?

I'm beginning to doubt your heritage/lineage... :D

I prefer a poached egg as well, and can't wait to get my sous vide cooker - hello perfect poached every time!

Oh, and to stay on topic - BACON!

This is meant to be an everyday, moderately healthy breakfast which we have as a treat once a week (or so).

Black pudding is from the other side of The Border. We don't do that in Yorkshire, while "white pudding" is the same without blood.

My lineage is indeed questionable. I am two eights Irish - an eighth on either side. The rest English as far as I know. I have a good Irish name - Timothy Millea.

So, no, toast instead of fried bread. We have sausages but they are treats for the dogs (and us).

This is meant to be an everyday, moderately healthy breakfast which we have as a treat once a week (or so).

Black pudding is from the other side of The Border. We don't do that in Yorkshire, while "white pudding" is the same without blood.

Other side of the border? Do you mean Scotland, Wales, or the border with the "Southern Shandy Drinking Bast..." that our friends from Yorkshire used to refer to us as (that is, when my parents lived in England - they lived in Thornbury, Dad was working in Bristol). That is, when we weren't being referred to as "colonials" :)

I only ask because I've had black pudding all throughout the south of England, and I can't get enough. The good news is when we visit - my wife hates black pudding, so when it shows up on our breakfast plate - I get double!

My lineage is indeed questionable. I am two eights Irish - an eighth on either side. The rest English as far as I know. I have a good Irish name - Timothy Millea.

As is mine... I am a mix of English, Welsh, and Irish (1/2 English, 1/4 Welsh, and 1/8 Irish - don't know what the other 1/8 is). My grandmother (on my Dad's side) was actually born in Wales. And I've got a great English name to boot - Shackelton. And yes, I spelled that right - my great grandfather on my Dad's side changed it from "LE" to "EL". Don't know why... My Dad & his Sister are big into Ancestry, and they have traced us all the way back to Sir Ernest himself. Maybe that's why I like cruising!

Of course, reading all about their survival and surviving on what they ate - I'd rather have bacon. In whatever form or method of cooking it comes in!

Edited by phrogpilot73

Other side of the border? Do you mean Scotland, Wales, or the border with the "Southern Shandy Drinking Bast..." that our friends from Yorkshire used to refer to us as (that is, when my parents lived in England - they lived in Thornbury, Dad was working in Bristol). That is, when we weren't being referred to as "colonials" :)

I only ask because I've had black pudding all throughout the south of England, and I can't get enough. The good news is when we visit - my wife hates black pudding, so when it shows up on our breakfast plate - I get double!

I am afraid it is much more serious: the Yorkshire - Lancashire border, War of the Roses and all of that. They have black pudding on the other side.

As is mine... I am a mix of English, Welsh, and Irish (1/2 English, 1/4 Welsh, and 1/8 Irish - don't know what the other 1/8 is). My grandmother (on my Dad's side) was actually born in Wales. And I've got a great English name to boot - Shackelton. And yes, I spelled that right - my great grandfather on my Dad's side changed it from "LE" to "EL". Don't know why... My Dad & his Sister are big into Ancestry, and they have traced us all the way back to Sir Ernest himself. Maybe that's why I like cruising!

Interesting! My mother's side is 'Shackleton' with 'LE' but my father's side, in Ireland, changed the spelling of my surname 'Millea' from a 'ee' ending to 'ea' with the same pronunciation for no known reason. As my mother puts it, you might as well have changed your name from 'Tom Stinks' to 'Joe Stinks'.

Of course, reading all about their survival and surviving on what they ate - I'd rather have bacon. In whatever form or method of cooking it comes in!

Agreed.

Edited by Skipper Tim

So, no, toast instead of fried bread. We have sausages but they are treats for the dogs (and us).

If you're going to do black pudding, then it has to be Stornaway black pudding!

Guess a tattie scone is out of the question then?

Some supermarkets up here do breakfasts packs (of artery clogging) selections : Lorne sausage, black pudding and white pudding slices, sometime haggis slices too, bacon (back of course) and maybe a tattie scone.

The first time I visited America I was perplexed when given Maple Syrup to go with my fry-up. I was all "HP Sauce or gtfo"...

In the interests of cultural diversity I decided to give it a try though, and you what? WOW. :)

Sadly, I have yet to find a greasy spoon this side of the pond that has syrup.

(Don't think it would work with Baked Beans on the same plate though...) :rolleyes:

I am a true believer that bacon fixes EVERYTHING. And we are reg visitors to the states (we r Aussies) and have to say the way Americans cook bacon is wrong lol. And the whole pancake and bacon thing ewwww lol it's one or the other and seriously pancakes go with icecream and maple syrup

TheBrowns

Edited by TheBrowns

I am a true believer that bacon fixes EVERYTHING. And we are reg visitors to the states (we r Aussies) and have to say the way Americans cook bacon is wrong lol. And the whole pancake and bacon thing ewwww lol it's one or the other and seriously pancakes go with icecream and maple syrup

TheBrowns

We put maple syrup on our pancakes. And a side of crispy bacon.

We will eat our pancakes our way thank you very much.;)

Ice cream...good heavens. Crepes maybe but good old buckwheat or buttermilk pancakes? :eek:

We put maple syrup on our pancakes. And a side of crispy bacon.

We will eat our pancakes our way thank you very much.;)

Ice cream...good heavens. Crepes maybe but good old buckwheat or buttermilk pancakes? :eek:

It's the opposite over here. We have the thicker pancakes as a sweet thing with syrup orbutter or jam or even fruit, cream and syrup but that is definitely dessert. Crepes can be savoury or sweet. Personally I like savoury ones. Love they way they do them in Normandy, savoury one, then a sweet one washed down my enormous teacups of cidre!

I woulda never have bacon on the same plate as something sweet though. When I used to visit my brother when he lived in AZ, I'd keep the pancakes and syrup to thee d of brekkie after I'd had the savoury stuff. Didn't like the US bacon though. Loved breakfast burritos though.