The very IMPORTANT but PERPLEXING question of BACON

Katgoesonholiday

And it's silly things like remembering not to say "Help yourself to breakfast" but instead to say "You can make your own breakfast". I have to be very succinct and literal at all times. You've got to admire them though! They come here with rudimentary English at the start of the year and by the end they are conversing fluently and easily! I had a Kazakhstani last year who came to me months after his twelfth birthday with enough English to smile sweetly and agree 'yes yes yes' to everything. By the time he turned thirteen he was getting all the jokes in movies and conversing fluently in everything (especially when it related to Minecraft).

I speak only one language fluently (and two more well enough to find a toilet and a coffee). I admire those who have mastered another language.

I lived in England (RAF Martlesham Heath......Ipswich) and what they are calling bacon is more like what we would refer to as a thin ham steak. It is not served raw and is very tasty but would never be confused with bacon (American). Sometimes, enough though it originated as the same language (from Old German no less), different words mean different things now. If we ever meet on board, I'll tell what British "suspenders" are! :D

If "suspenders" are what we call "braces", what do Americans call what we call "suspenders" ? Similarly, if a "vest" is what we call a "waistcoat" what do Americans call what we call a "vest"? It is one thing having different words for the same thing e.g. tuxedo = dinner jacket, elevator = lift, but it is quite another when we use the same word to mean different things.

The 'bacon problem' is even worse. What American's call bacon we call bacon, it is just culturally, it is not a type we would ever choose to eat or buy, except as Amo says for very occasionally sprinkling on something else. But the vast majority of what we call bacon Americans apparently do not recognise as bacon. The only other similar example I can think of is the beer vs lager issue. What most of the World calls "beer" is actually a type of beer which we call "lager". Most Brits would mean a "bitter", "mild" or a "stout" if they used the word "beer", not the fizzy, light stuff that comes in bottles and cans that we call "lager". Teenagers drink lager and usually out of the bottle. Real men drink beer in pint glasses. (I drink cider in pubs - what does that say?)

I cooked an 'English' this morning: bacon (thick-carved from a bacon joint), scrambled egg (with a little milk and a few crumbs of blue cheese), plum tomatoes, mushrooms fried in butter and baked beans on wholemeal buttered toast. Yummy and it is Sunday. Back to gruel tomorrow.

Edited by Skipper Tim

If "suspenders" are what we call "braces", what do Americans call what we call "suspenders"

I'm confused as to who calls braces suspenders but the alternative meaning for suspenders is garters. And I won't post a picture for clarification for fear I'll lose my posting privileges!

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

An "English" breakfast sounds quite good.

Since it is mother's day here we afe making belgian waffles (american version) bacon (american version) fresh blueberries and cream with cafe mochas and green tea.

That is me and the kids are making it for Dw who is sleeping in.

Next week I am going to give the "english" a go.

An "English" breakfast sounds quite good.

Since it is mother's day here we afe making belgian waffles (american version) bacon (american version) fresh blueberries and cream with cafe mochas and green tea.

That is me and the kids are making it for Dw who is sleeping in.

Next week I am going to give the "english" a go.

Mothers Day here too and we had waffles with mimosas. I love blueberries and cream with my waffles but have never contemplated the addition of bacon. I'm not sure it sounds appealing to mix the sweet with the savoury.

Mmmmmmm.....bacon!

Illuminating and illustrative illustration! Thank you - that explains it well!

You're welcome! Another thing to note is, in the US, we use the whole Pork Loin itself as a feature in a lot of dishes, and so it doesn't really have the opportunity to become "bacon" (British or Canadian) in the first place. :)

I know this is a bit technical for a philosophical thread, but here is a rough illustration. Please pardon my horrible artistry..

Bacon.gif

You beat me to it! I was going to weigh in that British bacon is the loin + the fatty parts of the belly. Canadian bacon is just the loin, and American bacon is the belly (not actually from the stomach, but the side - kind of like the "butt" is not from the rear end). Clearly I learned something in culinary school ;)

All the pictures posted of "good" vs "bad" bacon from the UK and NZ are actually different cuts of pork, so it's like comparing apples and oranges. US bacon is cooked the way it is, because of the fat content - whereas British/Canadian bacon is cooked the way it is because it is much leaner. My parents lived in the UK for 3 1/2 years - and always bought me cookbooks. I could never quite get the recipes right and that's when I realized the difference. In the UK they eat bacon rashers, whereas streaky bacon is what we generally serve in the US.

Oh, and I take a slight offense to the statement that we don't have good culinary traditions here in the US. A lot of the regional cuisine can be traced all the way back to some of the darkest days of our country (during slavery), and making due with what they had. And most of it is pretty damn good to boot!

EDIT: Oh - and to answer the other question/statement, I prefer a proper pint. I've tried numerous kinds of lagers/pilsners, and still don't like them. Give me a pint of real ale (or if I'm in England - I'll definitely get a pint of the pub's best Bitter) rather than a bottle of the beer flavored water that seems oh so popular here in the US. And don't get me started on serving temperature and Americans complaining that they serve it too warm overseas. The proper serving temperature for a pint is 42 degrees Fahrenheit - not so cold that the mountains turn blue. Colder beer masks off-flavors, so that's why with all the adjuncts that American breweries use, they have massive marketing campaigns to convince people that ice cold is the way to go. Served at a proper temperature, they taste horrible.

Edited by phrogpilot73

If "suspenders" are what we call "braces", what do Americans call what we call "suspenders" ? Similarly, if a "vest" is what we call a "waistcoat" what do Americans call what we call a "vest"? It is one thing having different words for the same thing e.g. tuxedo = dinner jacket, elevator = lift, but it is quite another when we use the same word to mean different things.

The 'bacon problem' is even worse. What American's call bacon we call bacon, it is just culturally, it is not a type we would ever choose to eat or buy, except as Amo says for very occasionally sprinkling on something else. But the vast majority of what we call bacon Americans apparently do not recognise as bacon. The only other similar example I can think of is the beer vs lager issue. What most of the World calls "beer" is actually a type of beer which we call "lager". Most Brits would mean a "bitter", "mild" or a "stout" if they used the word "beer", not the fizzy, light stuff that comes in bottles and cans that we call "lager". Teenagers drink lager and usually out of the bottle. Real men drink beer in pint glasses. (I drink cider in pubs - what does that say?)

I cooked an 'English' this morning: bacon (thick-carved from a bacon joint), scrambled egg (with a little milk and a few crumbs of blue cheese), plum tomatoes, mushrooms fried in butter and baked beans on wholemeal buttered toast. Yummy and it is Sunday. Back to gruel tomorrow.

I was taught by a lovely young lass in England that what you call suspenders, we call garter belts. :o Suspenders to us are what holds men's pants up! :D I have no idea what "braces" in Britain are. :confused: As for beer, you are correct, what you call a pint of bitter would be what we call a beer though there is not a lot of difference between a lager and a bitter. I as well, enjoy a pint if cider whenever I can though it is not found often in the US.

Edited by Out to sea!

As for beer, you are correct, what you call a pint of bitter would be what we call a beer though there is not a lot of difference between a lager and a bitter. I as well, enjoy a pint if cider whenever I can though it is not found often in the US.

Be careful, there is a very well organised Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) contingent here in the UK and your words, like mine, would be blasphemous.

Between where I live and my most convenient airport, Manchester, I often have a 'layover' at Stalybridge. Stalybridge buffet is regularly rated as one of Britain's top pubs, 130 years old, with live music and an open fire when needed. It is extraordinary. It is perhaps why I love travelling so much as I do.

though there is not a lot of difference between a lager and a bitter.

Not drunk much lager then by the sound of it ..... :D

Tetley's and Tennats for the most part while stationed in England.

Do I have a refined palette, no, probably not. After a couple of pints, I can't hardly even tell the difference between cider and mead! :eek:

If I like the taste (unlike Newcastle Brown Ale.....blegh) I drink it. Lager, Cider, Ale, Bitter, Beer, Pils, Export, Weissenbier, etc....doesn't matter what you call it. More refined palettes may stick their nose up at one or the other but not me. :)

Edited by Out to sea!

Oh, and I take a slight offense to the statement that we don't have good culinary traditions here in the US. A lot of the regional cuisine can be traced all the way back to some of the darkest days of our country (during slavery), and making due with what they had. And most of it is pretty damn good to boot!

If it's anything I wrote that gave this impression, I apologise. That was not my intention. I adore food and despite (what I consider to be) the lamentable tendency to go wild in fall and gleefully pumpkin spice everything in sight, America has some wonderful glorious culinary traditions. What can be done with a bottle of hot sauce, for example, brings tears of joy to my eyes!

Oh, and at least 80% of what I write is done with tongue firmly in cheek - another colloquialism I can't use with my Homestay boys. :p

I know this is a bit technical for a philosophical thread, but here is a rough illustration. Please pardon my horrible artistry..

Bacon.gif

As a Canadian, can I ask that "Canadian Bacon" is referred to by its correct name: "ham".

And by the way, to settle the argument, neither you Americans (overcooked) nor you Brits and Europeans (undercooked) do bacon slices right. [emoji1]

I hope this is not considered advertising but here is a selection of offers from the pan-European discount supermarket, Lidl, showing, bacon 'medallions', sliced ham and pork loin joint on offer in the UK this week.

lidl.jpg

Edited by Skipper Tim

Holy moly! Our pork loin is 'on special' at $22.99 per kg!!!! How come yours is so much cheaper?

I know not. Pork has always been the cheapest meat in the UK and I must admit £3.99/Kg is a keen price. NZ $22.99 (= £11.73) does sound very pricey to me. Is NZ pork imported?

Hazelmeade's Bacon Medallions are nothing like what we would call bacon at all. Looks like a ham steak or thick sliced ham. (as was pointed out earlier) Or uncured or uncooked country ham which is usually served with biscuits (US version), black eyed peas, and is quite chewy and tough after cooking. Often it is a southern US meal not associated with breakfast.

If I ordered Bacon and eggs and got your bacon medallions I would be disappointed unless the taste overcame that different style of bacon substitution, however if I had ordered ham and eggs I might not be.

I thought the proper term for bacon served in Canada is back bacon. (thank you, Bob and Doug McKenzie)

My 14 year old's response? "I don't care what you call it or how you cook it-just give me piggy."

Not 100% sure...the best I can tell you is that as a kid "back bacon" and "Canadian bacon" were mysterious terms to me. "Back bacon" may be a term used in parts of the country, there are regional differences that sometimes pop up.

What I can say is, I've travelled all over Canada on business for 20 years, no matter what part of the country I'm in if I ask for bacon when I'm in a restaurant, for certain what I will get is bacon slices. It's definitely understood by all concerned that that's what is being referred to.

Your 14 year old has it right!

Not 100% sure...the best I can tell you is that as a kid "back bacon" and "Canadian bacon" were mysterious terms to me. "Back bacon" may be a term used in parts of the country, there are regional differences that sometimes pop up.

What I can say is, I've travelled all over Canada on business for 20 years, no matter what part of the country I'm in if I ask for bacon when I'm in a restaurant, for certain what I will get is bacon slices. It's definitely understood by all concerned that that's what is being referred to.

Your 14 year old has it right!

No the 14 year old does not have it right. If any pig product cooked could substitute for crispy bacon at any time and for any meal then OK.

Bacon and eggs, pork chop and eggs, ham and eggs, pork sausage and eggs, ham hocks and eggs, pigs ears and feet and eggs are all piggy yet not the same! Not in taste or how its cooked.

No no no...you cannot substitute piggy and simply call it good.

A BLT cannot have ham or sausage as a piggy substitute.

If your in Canada and order bacon and eggs and they substitute the piggy's snout on the plate would that be the same?