Bermuda

Beaner38

My husband and I are considering a cruise to Bermuda in 2016. We have many questions, one being what is the best month for cruising in Bermuda? What did you like? Not like? Etc...

countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=Beaner38&date=4-6-2014&text=&ship=Norwegian Dawn

Sailing to Bermuda is the luck of the draw. Crossing the Atlantic can be smooth or very rough. I have experienced seas like glass last July and 38 foot waves in October of 2011 and everything in between. Bermuda cruises only happen during hurricane season so it is all up to Mother Nature. Crossing the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic is where the rough water will be if there is going to be any and there is no way to get to Bermuda with crossing it, at least from NYC, NJ, or Boston.

I cruised to Bermuda a few years ago, and I'll be going again this week...I think there are pro's and con's to sailing to Bermuda...If you like waking up to a different port every morning, then Bermuda may not be for you. Most ships are there for at least 1-2 nights. On the bright side, this allows you to slow down a little bit and really get a taste for the island. I like the fact that once the ship docks, you can use it as a floating hotel, and come and go as you please. In other destinations, it feels like a mad dash in the morning to get off the ship right when it docks, but I didn't feel that way when I was in Bermuda.

If you've been looking at vacations in Bermuda, a cruise will likely be best deal. Many things in Bermuda are expensive, so don't go there searching for a bargain like you can do in the Caribbean or Bahamas. However, along the same lines, no one is waiting for you once you get off the ship trying to sell you things...No one is trying to sell you drugs, braid your hair or trying to get you in their taxi. The locals are friendly, and they do not harass you.

The last time I went to Bermuda, it was the end of August into early September. The weather was warm (mid 80's), but it wasn't oppressive like the Caribbean is in the summer. We had great weather and calm seas the entire way. Weather is so hard to predict, but I have heard that the Caribbean is generally calmer. I'll be arriving in Bermuda this weekend, and I've been checking the weather reports...As of right now, the forecast is low 70's. Many locals will think it's too cold to go in the water, but I'll probably try to get some beach time in.

Ships that sail to Bermuda leave from Northern ports (New York, New Jersey, Maryland) so it may not be as convenient if you live in a southern state and prefer to drive to a port in Florida. However, these ports are generally less crowded than ports in Florida (Port Canaveral, Miami, Fort Lauderalde, Etc.)

My husband and I sailed to Bermuda in early May and we both thought that it was a perfect time to be there...sunny and mid-upper 70's the entire time, no humidity. It made for very pleasant walking conditions everywhere we went and allowed us to really enjoy being outdoors.

We're not beach people so the cold water didn't bother us; we did spend some time walking along the shore of Horseshoe Bay and that was just fine for us. Again, the low humidity and sunshine was so enjoyable!

We visited St. George and loved that town. Walked out to Fort St. Catherine from there and then walked to Tobacco Bay Beach for a nice lunch outside on the deck there.

We were fortunate to sail the Veendam and therefore dock right in Hamilton. Perfect location to have good access to all points on the island.

So much to see and do there we hope to go back again soon.

We visited in May of 2011 on a return to NY from the eastern Caribbean. It was wonderful weather and the waters as well. We did a Cape Liberty/Bermuda in Sept 2012 and the cruise portion was fine even though a hurricane just passed through. The weather in Bermuda was windy and very rainy the last day and while on the Explorer of the Seas, the Star broke moorings and drifted and crashed into our ship! Anyway, all the luck of the weather. (there are a few videos online, we were in our aft balcony and watched it straight on!) Other than that, a great trip for our first balcony!