Veendam Post Drydock Changes in Retreat Area

Freelion

Does anyone have photos or know any details about this? I read a rumour somewhere that the pool area in the Retreat on the aft Lido deck has been redone?

Can any post dock Veendam cruisers provide info? Will be sailing on Veendam for 14 day Boston btb May 31.

Thanks!

There is no pool area anymore on aft deck of Veendam.

They took out the pool several years ago and have done two 're-do's' on it.

We were on last August and there were several hot tubs above deck. Really bad arrangement and they blocked the view in the process.

There is no pool area anymore on aft deck of Veendam.

They took out the pool several years ago and have done two 're-do's' on it.

We were on last August and there were several hot tubs above deck. Really bad arrangement and they blocked the view in the process.

The changes I heard rumored were that the above deck hot tubs were taken out and replaced with something else--don't know what.

Returned on May 1 after a 7 day Caribbean cruise on Veedam the first time on HAL. The aft Retreat area is the same with the hot tubs as I see from previous pictures. Wasn't impressed with the layout. Many lounge chairs with very few being used. No shade. Music being played. The water was a good hot temperature. no one ever came around for drink orders but maybe this is the norm for the Retreat area? I loved the aft pool on Royal Caribbean.

I sailed on the Veendam last week. On the aft deck I enjoyed the hot tubs but regarding that elevated section in general I could understand some disappointment over how it uses a large amount of space, and limits the aesthetic experience of the surrounding sea. Didn't see anyone use the small, shallow rectangular pools or the tile benches on the elevated area.

One afternoon the aft hot tubs were netted over and I got conflicting info from crew - "technical staff" forgot to open them(I waited then gave up for that day). It was chilly so maybe they thought they wouldn't be used.

The big screen looming above struck me as a bit pathetic and ominous at the same time - no problem with the current images (some simple, fairly pleasant graphics with the words, "the retreat") but I suppose at some point the screen could be used to force feed some video "entertainment". The music coming from the large speakers flanking the screen deck was a bit obnoxious (I'd classify the genre as "techno" pop) but at least it wasn't extremely loud - but again, a bit ominous because if it was to become even slightly louder I would not be able to use the hot tubs or even go on the aft deck. I fail to see why HAL wouldn't make sure the music suits the typical passenger. My wife and I are younger passengers, but would have preferred if the music on the aft deck was along the lines of what was played in the Lido. If HAL is attempting to give a younger atmosphere to the aft deck, I hope they broaden scope of musical tastes they try to satisfy. The techno pop really doesn't cut it.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse